Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,682 times

Advertisements

Anybody else experiencing problems with Geico?
Billing errors #1 - overcharging and misreading paper checks - cashing them for wrong amounts
Raising rates - when I called no reason given except that overall increases for the area
Seriously?
Roadside assistance - went from bad to worse. Took 13 minutes to get a rep who asks stupid q's until the phone battery dies.
Finally get them to send a truck - there is no truck. Some untrained kid in his own vehicle working as an IC for a company Geico uses.
And the Arrival time now is always an hour - their standard answer which is useless.
They don't even send those surveys asking how the service is anymore - they know - it sucks
Now trying to get my defensive driver credit and sent the receipt from the place - customer service gives me an email to send it to - sent it 3 times - no response.
Finally get a letter from underwriting telling me to fax or mail it.
Seriously? Fax or mail it?
When you mail a check they can't even cash it for the right amount - and watch the billing - they seem to be getting an extra month every so often with their scheme that they charge you a month ahead for the following month's coverage
Plus I get those underwriter update forms every few months now - used to come maybe once every few years - what the hell are they doing over there?
Rant over.
Looking for a new insurer = if all their basic ops are screwed up - I can only imagine how bad they'll be if I ever got into an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Anybody else experiencing problems with Geico?
Billing errors #1 - overcharging and misreading paper checks - cashing them for wrong amounts
Raising rates - when I called no reason given except that overall increases for the area
Seriously?
Roadside assistance - went from bad to worse. Took 13 minutes to get a rep who asks stupid q's until the phone battery dies.
Finally get them to send a truck - there is no truck. Some untrained kid in his own vehicle working as an IC for a company Geico uses.
And the Arrival time now is always an hour - their standard answer which is useless.
They don't even send those surveys asking how the service is anymore - they know - it sucks
Now trying to get my defensive driver credit and sent the receipt from the place - customer service gives me an email to send it to - sent it 3 times - no response.
Finally get a letter from underwriting telling me to fax or mail it.
Seriously? Fax or mail it?
When you mail a check they can't even cash it for the right amount - and watch the billing - they seem to be getting an extra month every so often with their scheme that they charge you a month ahead for the following month's coverage
Plus I get those underwriter update forms every few months now - used to come maybe once every few years - what the hell are they doing over there?
Rant over.
Looking for a new insurer = if all their basic ops are screwed up - I can only imagine how bad they'll be if I ever got into an accident.
They are one of the worst insurance companies to work with if you are in a serious accident.

Too many people buy GEICO because they can do it over the internet or telephone and because it is cheap insurance for some.

IMO, it is not the equal of having insurance with companies like AMICA, Auto-owners, USAA, or Kemper. There are a whole host of average companies that I believe are better too.

If you need to buy insurance first stop trying to do it over the internet. Go find a living, breathing independent insurance agent in a brick and mortar building that sells multiple lines of personal auto insurance. You'll not only get a good deal on insurance, but he/she will explain to you why you need certain types of coverage and what they do for you.

I realize some people can't comprehend that they shouldn't do everything in life over a computer, but sometimes it is the case. Insurance is something best purchased from a living person.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Something doesn't sound right. You still mail paper checks? Also, how do they not cash it for the correct amount? That's almost impossible to do.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Something doesn't sound right. You still mail paper checks? Also, how do they not cash it for the correct amount? That's almost impossible to do.
I guess they were sloppy and didn't read it carefully enough - then of course got a notice of cancellation for some freaky amount still due because they put it in for less than the check was for - I had to pay again but sure enough when I got my bank statement - they only paid out the wrong amount Geico cashed it for which was less then when I wrote the check out for so at least I wasn't double paying. Most things I pay by phone but Geico still charges a $3.50 premium for that "luxury" so I mail a check. Can't deal with convoluted online payment systems - besides why should I have to ? They need to do their job right no matter how you pay your bill.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They are one of the worst insurance companies to work with if you are in a serious accident.

Too many people buy GEICO because they can do it over the internet or telephone and because it is cheap insurance for some.

IMO, it is not the equal of having insurance with companies like AMICA, Auto-owners, USAA, or Kemper. There are a whole host of average companies that I believe are better too.

If you need to buy insurance first stop trying to do it over the internet. Go find a living, breathing independent insurance agent in a brick and mortar building that sells multiple lines of personal auto insurance. You'll not only get a good deal on insurance, but he/she will explain to you why you need certain types of coverage and what they do for you.

I realize some people can't comprehend that they shouldn't do everything in life over a computer, but sometimes it is the case. Insurance is something best purchased from a living person.
Well I don't really have time for that but Geico has been great over the years & that's why I've stayed with them - not bad for accidents either - up until the past couple years. Customer service sucks and the underwriters are idiots - the billing team is clearly in need of an overhaul and the emergency road service is no longer even worth the price of a dollar bill. I'm just wondering if others are experiencing a rapid downward incline. So now I'm thinking of jumping ship

Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
I quote with them every year (along with others) when it's policy renewal time. They are always higher than my current insurance.

This year, they sent me a notice informing me that I received a higher price because of my credit information. My credit is outstanding. The criteria they listed in terms of their reasoning is just nuts.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM

203 posts, read 327,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I quote with them every year (along with others) when it's policy renewal time. They are always higher than my current insurance.

This year, they sent me a notice informing me that I received a higher price because of my credit information. My credit is outstanding. The criteria they listed in terms of their reasoning is just nuts.
Please do not pay any attention to the credit letter. Insureds get very upset because of them but the truth is that they get sent to everyone and they have exactly the same wording no matter what your score is. The people with 400s get the same letter as the people with 800s. The system has to put in the "scoring factors" and even if your credit is perfect it has to generate something to put in the field. In my capacity I have to speak with maybe a half dozen customers per year and almost all I've had to talk down off a ledge because of these letters. You'd think that we told them their parents weren't married or something. The fact is we have no control over the wording of the letter and if your credit is good please just ignore it.

I do not work for Geico but all companies use the same system and letters. Credit is actually an excellent (but obviously not perfect) predictor of claims, which is why your premium can be heavily dependent on your score. And please do not call in screaming that your bank told you your score was higher. These are special "insurance" credit scores that use different criteria than financial scores. Although there is a correlation they will never be the same and usually the insurance score is lower. If you have good credit just don't worry!

Old 04-19-2017, 03:08 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Please do not pay any attention to the credit letter. Insureds get very upset because of them but the truth is that they get sent to everyone and they have exactly the same wording no matter what your score is. The people with 400s get the same letter as the people with 800s. The system has to put in the "scoring factors" and even if your credit is perfect it has to generate something to put in the field. In my capacity I have to speak with maybe a half dozen customers per year and almost all I've had to talk down off a ledge because of these letters. You'd think that we told them their parents weren't married or something. The fact is we have no control over the wording of the letter and if your credit is good please just ignore it.

I do not work for Geico but all companies use the same system and letters. Credit is actually an excellent (but obviously not perfect) predictor of claims, which is why your premium can be heavily dependent on your score. And please do not call in screaming that your bank told you your score was higher. These are special "insurance" credit scores that use different criteria than financial scores. Although there is a correlation they will never be the same and usually the insurance score is lower. If you have good credit just don't worry!
I can understand all that, and I'm not upset nor worried. I actually find it kinda funny, though - as I've never gotten such a letter from any insurance company. I just quoted with Progressive, USAA, Allstate, and Nationwide within the last few weeks as I did with Geico, but no letters from any of them.

It's just silly:

Quote:
1) The consumer has made 1 bank credit card application in the previous 12 months. Optimum value is 0 in the previous 24 months; score will improve as number of application decreases.

2) Number of personal finance loans is 1 or more. Optimum value is 0.

3) 15% or more of accounts were opened within the last 18 months. Optimum value is less than 15%.
1) I bought a TV at Sam's Club on Christmas Eve as the big family Christmas gift. The woman there talked me into getting their credit card because they would give me like $100 off the TV and 0% financing for a year. I figured why not. I ended up paying it off in full anyway when I got the first bill. So the net was I got $100 off the TV that's now fully paid-for. I use the card whenever we go to Sam's Club to get the reward dollars but just pay it off each month.

2) I bought a shiny new riding lawn mower. They had 0% financing for 48-months - again why not take advantage of free money? I'll probably end up paying that off early too.

3) I bought a car and refinanced my house last year (from a 30-year down to a 15-year).

Beyond what is listed above, I only have two credit cards (neither carry a balance). So, out of the six credit accounts on my report - only three of them carry any kind of balance. Bottom line - they're a bunch of dopes.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM

They still charge you $3.50 if you make a telephone payment which in this day and age - is ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I still have Geico & have not had any problems, our bills are paid automatically & no problems. For towing etc we have AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance