Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times

Advertisements

So just testing the waters and change my color my car from black to red and it jump by 50 bucks!. Change it white, 30, blue 80 bucks.. You would think the brighter the car more safe and visibility it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Really? What insurance company are you using?

I always thought that was a myth that was created due to many sports cars being red and the notion that sports cars get into more accidents. They are often more expensive to repair than the average car.

It sounds like discrimination to me, judging a car on its colour..

Old 04-05-2017, 02:41 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I don't think he's talking insurance but market value.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't think he's talking insurance but market value.
both really.. i was just messing around on my cruze and change the color to see if its matters and it does.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
For purchase price and insurance yes, the color matter. It cost a lot more to paint my Challenger, for example, "Redline Pearl triple coat" than plain white. That raises the cost of the car. Then your insurance is based on replacement cost and repair (body work) cost. Anything metallic or with pearl and more coats will be more.
This is why most fleet trucks and cars are white, in addition to being easier to letter with the agency or company logos.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,461,734 times
Insurance companies have no idea what color your car is, so it has no impact on your premium. The VIN doesn't indicate the color of a car and color isn't asked on the ISO form for a PAP (Personal Auto Policy). As a licensed agent, I can say with certainty that color is not relevant to the cost of insurance.

As mentioned, certain finishes (metallic, pearl, etc.) are more expensive to repair/replace. But these differences are averaged across a model line and not assessed per individual vehicle with a specific finish.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Insurance companies have no idea what color your car is, so it has no impact on your premium. The VIN doesn't indicate the color of a car and color isn't asked on the ISO form for a PAP (Personal Auto Policy). As a licensed agent, I can say with certainty that color is not relevant to the cost of insurance.

As mentioned, certain finishes (metallic, pearl, etc.) are more expensive to repair/replace. But these differences are averaged across a model line and not assessed per individual vehicle with a specific finish.
I assume it didnt, but the quotes were different when i gave them random colors. The myth is bright colors such as red is higher vs black is cheaper because of visual issues.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
My insurance doesn't even ask what color it is, and no that is not encoded in the vin.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post

While the VIN does not contain color information, it is most certainly accessible. If you enter your VIN into any number of free online VIN decoders and it will correctly identify the vehicle color. I just plugged my Toyota VIN into two different ones and both showed the correct color and the one even showed the interior color as well.

Give it a try:

https://www.vindecoderz.com/

Additionally, I have never told my insurance company the color of my vehicles but when I login to the online portal it shows the exact color for each of my vehicles listed. I don't have an agent, as I bought my policy online. I pay the bill online, etc.

I've only spoken to a representative on the phone one time and that was when we sold a vehicle and needed it removed from the policy.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I assume it didnt, but the quotes were different when i gave them random colors. The myth is bright colors such as red is higher vs black is cheaper because of visual issues.
What insurance website is asking you the color of your car? I have used pretty much every legit car insurance website to get quotes and I have never, not once been asked the color of my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance