Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 PM

288 posts, read 1,555,304 times

Advertisements

What is a safe amount to carry? I know the state mininums, but I wanted something which would cover me if I were to hit someone. I feel 25/50/25 would suffice. I know there is no right or wrong answer for this. Right now I basically having nothing to my name, if this helps. I'm a 24 y/o student.

AK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Get enough to cover your assets. That's the purpose of insurance. No need for a $300K policy limit if you don't have $300K in net assets and don't reckon you will any time soon. If you're a broke college student with nothing to your name, consider getting the statutorily minimum coverage.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM

I guess I don't fully understand this 100%. I know I could call the insurance company, but it's easier to ask here.

If I hit a car worth alot and medical expenses were much over what my policy covered would it be possible for me to get sued for money I don't have now, but will have in say five to ten years? I know I will have good money in a few years, but right now all I have is debt.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM

There's a concept in civil law called being "judgment-proof." What that basically means is, "I won't bother suing that guy because he simply doesn't have the money to pay me, the chances of ever collecting a substantial portion the judgment are small, and it won't be worth the legal expenses." Broke college students are, by and large, judgment-proof. That isn't the case if, say, your parents happen to be on the title (they'll go after your parents too), but that's another story. Also, most people carrying anything more than liability will have uninsurance/underinsurance coverage, meaning if they hit someone like you whose policy limits don't cover the damage and you have no assets to go after, they're going to go to their own insurance company to collect the difference. It's a lot easier for them to do that than to come after you. If someone is carrying liability only, chances are they're driving a POS anyway.

There is a time frame for collecting a judgment. If a judgment is made against you, it doesn't hang over your head forever. How long you will be held liable for paying up varies from state to state, but I think 10 years is about standard. So if you want to buy insurance against the possibility of having collectors scraping the bottom of your barrel for pennies for whatever the statutory collection period is where you live, consider upping your policy limits. Otherwise, just cover your net worth.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks Drover, for helping me out here. I am a careful driver. My only accident was the result of someone hitting me head on. I think I'll be good with the state minimum for a few more years here.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Just remember to review your policy limits periodically as your assets accumulate (bought a house, some 401K money, etc.)

Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_47_00 View Post
What is a safe amount to carry? I know the state mininums, but I wanted something which would cover me if I were to hit someone. I feel 25/50/25 would suffice. I know there is no right or wrong answer for this. Right now I basically having nothing to my name, if this helps. I'm a 24 y/o student.

AK
Good question, Ak

A major point to remember is the premium increases very little when you raise your liabiliy limits. Check the premium for the state minimums and then consider doubling or tripling for only a few bucks more a month for peace of mind.

Bottom line . . . it is better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 AM

True... I overlooked the cost-benefit analysis of higher coverage limits. If it's only a few bucks more per month to add a little assurance against a judgment reaching you personally, go for it.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_47_00 View Post

AK
It doesnt really matter how old or what your financial situation is. If you hit someone, and its your fault, you will be billed. It will follow you around.
I specifically know people who have judgements against them for several thousands of $ due to auto accidents.

In Los Angeles, I would suggest you purchase a minimum:

Bodily Injury, Per Person: $100,000 (covers occupants of other car)
Bodily Injury, Per Accident: $300,000 (aggregate liability per accident)
Property Damage: $100,000...(damage to other vehicles, property)
Medical Payments: $ 25,000 (per person,occupants in your car)

Uninsured Motorist: UM $100,000. (covers your injury, damage)
U.M. per accident: $300,000. (aggregate for one accident)
Comprehensive: This coverage is cheap.. fire, tree falls etc.
Collision: covers damage to your car, say if its parked or you hit a tree, post etc. optional depending on car age/value.

Also price the waiver of collision deductible option, its cheap and waives the 500, or 1,000 deductible

There are alot of $100,000+ cars running around los angeles, If you collide with an AMG, Bentley, or any exotic.. your in for a ride. Minor collisions can lead to $30,000+ repairs on some of these cars. A small chip in the paint can lead to a total repaint of the back half of a car. They dont touch up, they re-paint the panel.

Insurance Co's Subrogate payments they make on both uninsured and underinsured motorists and they are ok with waiting 5, 10, 20 years to collect.

If you go to a quality co, you can buy a renter policy and generally they give you a discount on both. That may actually save you more on the auto insurance, than the total cost of the renter policy. If you can get on your parents policy that would be an even better option since ins. co's give multi car discounts.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
In Los Angeles, I would suggest you purchase a minimum . . .
Excellent advice for someone reporting to be from Ohio.

100/300 coverage for someone who has practically nothing to their name? Forgive me for being so bold, but that's way beyond overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance