Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 AM

125 posts, read 116,005 times

Advertisements

Today got hit by a lady who was distracted on her cell phone, my car is destroyed on the front, I think It wasnt worse because I drive a 4wheel drive car and that saved me.

Police came and filed report she admitted it was her fault and report was made. her fault.

Her insurance company Progressive cant provide me with a rental cause they need to start an investigation and figure it out, but they got her a rental. interesting. I called my insurance (Geico) they say they cannot give me a rental unless I pay $500 deductible, and they take care of the damage as well as my rental. OR i can just deal with her insurance and pray for the best.

She almost killed me, my car is destroyed, I dont get a rental. I get to go home in UBER and pay $70 dollars btw

BUT She gets a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 06:15 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0512ny View Post
Today got hit by a lady who was distracted on her cell phone, my car is destroyed on the front, I think It wasnt worse because I drive a 4wheel drive car and that saved me.

Police came and filed report she admitted it was her fault and report was made. her fault.

Her insurance company Progressive cant provide me with a rental cause they need to start an investigation and figure it out, but they got her a rental. interesting. I called my insurance (Geico) they say they cannot give me a rental unless I pay $500 deductible, and they take care of the damage as well as my rental. OR i can just deal with her insurance and pray for the best.

She almost killed me, my car is destroyed, I dont get a rental. I get to go home in UBER and pay $70 dollars btw

BUT She gets a rental.
Normal, actually. If you file a claim with your insurance, they'll pay for all of it, including your rental. You pay your deductible and should get it back after Geico goes after her insurance and receives payment. If you don't file a claim, your rental coverage doesn't come into play.

Progressive is doing what insurance companies do best - making sure their bottom line is covered. They have to cover her - she's the insured one. They'll look for any way not to cover you, thereby protecting their bottom line. I'd be going up the food chain if I were you until you get someone who'll authorize a rental under the claim for you. If you have a report saying it is indeed her fault, not much to "investigate".

Old 04-14-2017, 06:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
I fail to see the priblem. You are describing exactly how insurance is suppose to work

Old 04-14-2017, 08:50 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
If you have a report saying it is indeed her fault, not much to "investigate".
There's plenty to investigate. Police do not determine liability, the insurance company dose. Progressive can not provide coverage until they accept liability, they can't do that until they get a statement from their insuraned and the 3rd party. The reason she is using her coverage right away is because they owe it to her.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:13 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

BUT She gets a rental.
Everything you are describing is quite normal.

You have no contract with GEICO Insurance. Their policy holder does. Its why they are paying for a rental car for her and not for you at this time.

The company will conduct its own investigation and will get back to you.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following:

1. Ask GEICO what car rental agency they use.

2. Go to that agency and give them your credit card and rent a vehicle. (Get an economy car)

3. Make it clear that you are certain GEICO will ultimately take over the rental and pay the bill.

4. Notify GEICO what you are doing. If they give you crap about "being unable to promise they will pay for the rental" than ignore them. Their insured is clearly responsible for the accident and ultimately they must pay for the car rental. I assume, of course, you are telling us the whole story.

I generally deal directly with the other person's insurance because of the deductible issue. However, others here will recommend you go to your own insurance company and let them sort this out. You can do either.

I know its an inconvenience to be in an accident that someone else caused. You will ultimately get paid. In the meantime, that's just the way things work.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 116,005 times
Thank you I just got a call from the adjuster and they say that they have to investigate as said before. meanwhile my car its at a towing garage and they will only cover 5 more days, if after that period if time they havent resolved wheter or not they will cover my car damage I will have to pay for the twoing garage where my car is been stored.

I was thinking isnt it better if I just pay the $500 deductible to Geico and they take care of things? to avoid going through all that? or would that be the same as Geico will have to investigate and that will take time. not sure what to do. never been involved in a car accident before and have no one to help me out clarify things. I dont have family to help me with all this situation.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:

BUT She gets a rental.

Similar experience. Their insurance accepted full liability on Day #1.
Offered rental car but we took $25 a day and they paid the 23 days it took to get the car totaled, value, salvage, etc.
Our insurance company was not called because all we have is liability and we were not at fault.

If you are not at fault (0%) then you should not have to pay anything out of pocket.
We were offered a rental 1 day after the accident.
And the delay was because the accident occurred after 6pm. By afternoon the next we had been offered a rental car but asked for alternatives.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Everything you are describing is quite normal.

You have no contract with GEICO Insurance. Their policy holder does. Its why they are paying for a rental car for her and not for you at this time.

The company will conduct its own investigation and will get back to you.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following:

1. Ask GEICO what car rental agency they use.

2. Go to that agency and give them your credit card and rent a vehicle. (Get an economy car)

3. Make it clear that you are certain GEICO will ultimately take over the rental and pay the bill.

4. Notify GEICO what you are doing. If they give you crap about "being unable to promise they will pay for the rental" than ignore them. Their insured is clearly responsible for the accident and ultimately they must pay for the car rental. I assume, of course, you are telling us the whole story.

I generally deal directly with the other person's insurance because of the deductible issue. However, others here will recommend you go to your own insurance company and let them sort this out. You can do either.

I know its an inconvenience to be in an accident that someone else caused. You will ultimately get paid. In the meantime, that's just the way things work.
Geico is the OPs insurance.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Geico is the OPs insurance.
Sorry, substitute "Progressive" every time I said GEICO.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
it is normal for someone's insurance company to give them a car (provided they have rental coverage0 once either the car has been determined not drive able or put into the shop. You insurance company should take your car to where it needs to be towed to and give you the rental car. The other company will investigate and determine liability. It could take up to 7 - 10 days.. They only get to a fast liability in the case where it is OBVIOUS. Most times rear ends only. Or a parked car. if someone ran a red light forgot to yield.. the insurance company has to do due diligence and make sure the story is what it is..
after your car is repaired then that is when you will have to pay your deductible. But in that time.. it could be possible that the other company takes liability and returns your deductible before you even have to pay it...

Stop stressing.. you already have enough to worry about with your car being wrecked. Let you insurance company handle it because that is what you pay them for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance