Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,062 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am returning to the USA after 9 months travel abroad. When I get back I will not own a vehicle for a while, a month or so, and so will need to rent one. What are my insurance options...
Use the rental company insurance (expensive)
My credit card visa has some coverage but I believe it is only secondary to my own (does it apply if I don't have any primary ?)
What other options do I have.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
buy it separately:

https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com/?g...UaAmlM8P8HAQ#0

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,062 times
Thanks.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
One aspect is Collision Damage waiver. It's included with many credit cards. but you still may have to get liability insurance.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
Ordinarily, the secondary credit card coverage would work for someone without other insurance and pay just as it would be if it was primary. However, most have a bunch of limitations as to the type of car ( usually no SUVs, trucks, or specialty vehicles) and the duration of the rental. I'm not sure any of them will cover rentals of 30 days or more, so you need to triple check the fine print and see if you have coverage.

The expensive rental car, or third party insurance is good advice.

American express also has "premium" rental car insurance you can do on a per rental basis for $25 per rental (not per day) or less in some states. This may be the best deal, if you can get signed up in time. Covers rentals up to 42 days (30 days in Washington State).

Liability is a very interesting topic without other insurance. In most cases (state dependent) the rental car company will be required to carry minimum liability insurance with the car. That means if you are in a fender bender with minor damages to another car, the rental car company will likely cover it (but do double check). However, in some states, the minimums are so low, you leave your self exposed if you are at fault in an accident and do serious damage to another car or person. For example, in California, the minimum property damage required is only $5,000, so it is likely you won't have coverage beyond that, and it is obviously easy to cause damage more than that.

The 3rd party insurance above and credit card insurance does not provide liability. So your best bet may be 3rd party or American Express CDW/LDW and rental car company liability (which tends to be more reasonably priced).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance