Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 3,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Go to the station and ask for the report. If they say you are not entitled - ask to make a report of your own.
Thank you, I'll try that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanisha yamileth View Post
My insurance told me to wait and if they don't respond then call them to start a claim with them, thanks for the advise I'll send a message to the moderator right now.
Good Luck.. You should be fine...

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Quote:
My insurance told me to wait and if they don't respond then call them to start a claim with them, thanks for the advise I'll send a message to the moderator right now.

You've got a terrible insurance company then. Based off of how you described the accident, it does sound like her fault. The only thing you need to worry about is if she changes her story to her insurance company. If she tells them you changed lanes into her, or you changed lanes at the same time and collided, they more then likey will not cover it. Police report is really going to be useless in this situation, because they did not witness the accident.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Your insurance company should be doing all the work for you, claims, reports etal. That's what you pay insurance companies to do. The other party is at fault and her claim has to be to the other party's insurance for causing the incident then her insurance company should be getting those two parties settled and then pay your expenses/repairs. Your insurance representative should be checking on this for you.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Your insurance company should be doing all the work for you, claims, reports etal. That's what you pay insurance companies to do. The other party is at fault and her claim has to be to the other party's insurance for causing the incident then her insurance company should be getting those two parties settled and then pay your expenses/repairs. Your insurance representative should be checking on this for you.

Let me fix this for you.. your insurance company should do everything once you have provided them with all information pertinent to helping "you" get your repairs completed and dealt with. There are too many times drivers do not do that part such as trade information of the other driver or for that matter anything else. They then call the insurance company and wonder why they have to wait 10 to 14 days to complete a claim. Yes you do pay them to help you out in your claim.. but remember.. as a grown up and responsible adult. You have duties to attempt to resolve your own damages in a timely manner by helping your insurance company out with some type of information.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
You should be able to get the police report as long as you know the information on the police report. Most police reports are "open record". You would just need to know the vehicles involved and the date and where the accident happened. If you cant give them that type of information then they more then likely wouldn't be able to help you out.

Basically I would do as one person above already said... file through your insurance and get the repairs through your own carrier. Yes, you would need to pay the deductible up front on your policy but afterwards when they have been through their subrogation process they should be able to reimburse you your deductible.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Hello I need an advise and I hope someone can help me.<>
Stop writing and contact your insurance company. Say nothing more to the insurance company of the driver that hit you. Deal only with your insurance company. They will work it out. They have better lawyers than you could ever hope to hire.
"how do I know? I just do."

Old 07-23-2017, 02:47 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Hello I need an advise and I hope someone can help me.
Ok so, I was about to merge into the freeway, I barely got on the acceleration ramp lane (just found out thats how its called, all this time I have being calling it merging lane even to the insurance!!!) and was starting to gain speed so I could merge into traffic when suddenly a Silverado truck cut in front of me, ( she even crossed the neutral part of both lanes) It happened very fast tried to brake but it was impossible and the collision was inevitable, I can still see the marks I left on the pavement everytime I drive through the place, anyway we pulled over and the lady started to apologize admitting her fault and she told me that someone had hit her right mirror and she was trying to move over the right side of the freeway to stop and did not see my car.

The person that hit her had run away so she called the cops, and as we waited we exchanged information and checked all the damages, her truck only got an small scratch, but mine wasn't so lucky.

I called her insurance company and opened a claim, and after lots and lots of questions and explaining what happened several times, they asked for pictures and made an estimate of the damages, then they send me an email with the body shops they work with so I could choose one.
The next day, they called and told me that they had spoken with the lady and that she told them that it was the other person's fault (the one that broke her mirror) because if it wasn't for the other person hitting her mirror the second accident would've never happen, so now the insurance is waiting for the police report to see whose fault was it.
So my question is, who is responsable for my damages? She claims that her mirror was broken so she didn't see me but what I think is that it was her responsibility to look over her shoulder before changing lanes and also she jumped in front of me as I was getting speed on the acceleration lane!!
As I see it there were two accidents. The first involved the car that knocked the woman's mirror off. The hit and run driver was responsible for that one. The second accident involved the woman from the previous accident, illegally changing lanes and hitting your car. She is responsible for that crash. The fact that her mirror was damaged in another collision is no defence for her hitting your car.

As others have said, you need to file a claim with your insurance, unless the woman's insurance agrees to accept liability for the accident.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 3,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As I see it there were two accidents. The first involved the car that knocked the woman's mirror off. The hit and run driver was responsible for that one. The second accident involved the woman from the previous accident, illegally changing lanes and hitting your car. She is responsible for that crash. The fact that her mirror was damaged in another collision is no defence for her hitting your car.

As others have said, you need to file a claim with your insurance, unless the woman's insurance agrees to accept liability for the accident.
That's exactly what I needed to know, who's responsible for my damages, and about my insurance I did filed a claim but since I called her's first they told me that I cannot have two claims at the same time, so they closed that one and told me to keep resolving with the other, anyway, I hope this woman does admits her fault, thank you.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I needed to know, who's responsible for my damages, and about my insurance I did filed a claim but since I called her's first they told me that I cannot have two claims at the same time, so they closed that one and told me to keep resolving with the other, anyway, I hope this woman does admits her fault, thank you.
Close the claim with the other driver's insurance company and let your insurance company work for you. The other driver's insurance company works for that driver, not you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance