Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Brother "excluded" means they specifically noted it in the policy as "Krystal's brother cannot drive the car?"

I suspect this was a troll, one and done......
Policy exclusions aren't all that uncommon. My nephew's live in girlfriend had a DUI, they each had their own cars and their own auto insurance but his insurance company required him to sign an exclusion stating they would not cover the girlfriend driving the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM

376 posts, read 499,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it's $19k, it isn't a lot, suck it up and pay it off in 2 years
Depends, she might be making $12 an hour or some other lowish wage. After All, the car was in her father's name leading me to believe she could not secure financing on her own.

Not everyone is 50 years old with a six figure job, average wage in this nation is low enough that 15k (what I guess she will owe after auction) could be a huge burden. Not sure how the finance company will deal with 15k of unsecured debt if she cant pay it all off at once (as im sure they will want).

Plus she needs another car, so there's that burden as well.

Id surmise she might walk away if it were in her name only. After the auction, she might still owe 15k. I do not know many people that will be very enthused about paying back 15k unsecured debt even if it meant their credit got wrecked.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Depends, she might be making $12 an hour or some other lowish wage. After All, the car was in her father's name leading me to believe she could not secure financing on her own.

Yet she bought an Audi?

Old 10-30-2017, 05:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Facts: OP had her father involved on her car as he was the one that made the loan possible. The OP got insurance for the car, and the brother being young required a higher insurance rate. The brother was excluded from the policy, to save a lot of money. The brother drove the car without insurance and totaled it. Insurance company did not pay out for the accident, as the brother was excluded from driving the car.

There is a reason that the car had his brother excluded on the policy. The car was on a loan signed by his father. They excluded her young brother as a potential driver, as the young brother being included as part of his fathers family, would as much as doubled the insurance premium. By excluding him the insurance rate was much lower than if he was not excluded. This happens all the time in this situation.

As there is now no security for the loan, the loan will in all probability be called due, and the OP will have to come up with $19,000 plus any interest accruing. If she cannot, the lender will go after the father that signed the loan documents. If the father cannot come up with the money, then the father is going to be in serious trouble as the lender goes after the money he now owes them.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,137,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod178 View Post
I was thinking about transferring the loan into my name (i have two years of good payments) then just stop making payments and mess my credit up.

Thanks for your help.

Krystal
That would be loan fraud.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod178
I was thinking about transferring the loan into my name (i have two years of good payments) then just stop making payments and mess my credit up.

Thanks for your help.

Krystal
Expect them to call your loan any day now. Once the security (car) no longer exists, they usually call the loan due now. As your father is on the loan, it not only messes up your credit, but also your fathers credit if not paid.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Policy exclusions aren't all that uncommon. My nephew's live in girlfriend had a DUI, they each had their own cars and their own auto insurance but his insurance company required him to sign an exclusion stating they would not cover the girlfriend driving the car.
Exclusions are very common.

Example: You added your teenager to the policy when they received their new drivers license at 16. 2 months later they get a speeding ticket and a month after that they get in a car accident. Insurance companies don't like a new driver getting into accidents so they might send the insured a notice that either they sign an exclusion letter excluding the teenager from the policy our they will be canceled or non-renewed. That's just one scenario of course, but it happens very often and if an excluded driver drives the insureds car and causes an accident, etc. the policy will not pay out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance