Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

You hit another human being with your car because you didn't look where you were going.

Stop acting like the victim or like you should get a pass just because you made it past 30 before hitting someone with your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 PM

603 posts, read 443,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Well since you are all high and mighty and free from mistakes in your life, then go ahead and be the first to cast stones. You sound like another sanctimonious jerk tbh, and idk who you think you are talking to, but you are NO moral authority here or anywhere. I think it is wrong to punish someone thousands or tens of thousands of dollars for one mistake that resulted in a minor bruise. I've paid for car insurance for over fifteen years and never used it once, I think that should count for something is all I am saying. The fact is many people feel frustrated when God forbid they use the insurance they actually pay for they are punished. I'm not some blind older person who doesn't need to have a license anymore with several accidents on their record, I think being over 30 with no accidents before this is pretty impressive, and I don't know many people who can claim that.
So, by your logic, if you haven't used your car insurance to make a claim in 15 years it's okay that you hit a human being?

Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Food for thought....yes, its from a lawyer's website but it does contain a couple of citations.

https://portlandpersonalinjuryaccide...com/sun-glare/

A relative of mine drove out from under an overpass, the sun blinded him and he hit another car. He was held primarily but not totally liable for the accident because he was "negligent" for continuing to drive forward even though he couldn't see. The other driver was also held partially liable because he was driving over the speed limit.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,909,512 times
I would definitely report the accident to your insurance company if you're concerned about financial liability. In this day and age, unfortunately, getting hit by a car is like winning the lotto. Health problems, real or imagined, CAN crop up days or weeks after an accident like this. I would also call and check up on the kid.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,223,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I would definitely report the accident to your insurance company if you're concerned about financial liability. In this day and age, unfortunately, getting hit by a car is like winning the lotto. Health problems, real or imagined, CAN crop up days or weeks after an accident like this. I would also call and check up on the kid.
Yep.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Another way of putting this is that you ran over a pedestrian at an intersection (where he has the right of way) and you are already trying accuse him of trying to "profit" from what happened because he "lives in a trailer park".

Yeah the sun was in your eyes. You're supposed to take things like that into account before you move your automobile. In other words, if you can't see where you are going and what is in front of you than you shouldn't be moving your car forward should you? That is not rocket science.

There is a difference between you and me. If I was the driver in this situation, I would be calling that family at home a day, two days after the accident to honestly see if that kid was all right or not. My first concern wouldn't be my insurance rates. It would simply be the well being of a human being who I had injured due to my carelessness. The difference is that a real human being cares about others regardless of possible financial repercussions.

I doubt you are going to find much sympathy here.
I agree completely. It reads like since the sun was bright its an excuse. Go online or let someone drive you to the store and find a pair of sunglasses which control the glare. They exist. I used to have that problem and the choices are even better.

Where the injured comes from in an accident matters not at all. Or the driver. If you can't see in bright sun, fix it, don't make up excuses. Man up about it and say I SHOULD have not been driving in glare I don't see through without effective glasses. Don't make excuses. And as the police officer still hadn't decided if he was going to make a report, don't be surprised if he does if the driver doesn't acknowlege their responsibility.

If its a really bad problem, maybe you need to just turn in the keys.

About 20 years ago, I had cataracs form on both eyes. They got worse and worse and at that time my vehical wasn't running. But I had surgery and with one the cornea was nicked and never contracts or expands. Bright light makes me close the eye. But even if its not that bad, I can't really tell how far away the things in front of me are. I see depth, but can't tell if its right.

I almost bumped a couple of cars and assumed it was the clutch. It got fixed and I realized it wasn't that but my focusing. I see distance, but can't tell just HOW far. Driving around locally in little traffic I had to concentrate. I didn't take streets where you don't have the time.

There's no fixing it. I decided to get rid of the car. It barely ran anyway, but it got me to the store. I've had to be creative getting around, but its better than hurting someone in a crash because you didn't know where you were, or hurting someone else.

The officer may decide that with the high probability of a lawsuit, he should file his report. Any suit will either question the judgement of the officer for not reporting, bad for him so likely he will And we live in a lawsuit happy world. Put even better money on them finding a lawyer who will sue only for a portion of the winnings as payment.

And quit judging people from their address. Even if he does live in a low income area, his rights for safety on the road don't change. And remember, even if you don't know now, you could end up in a cheap apartment in a bad part too. Maybe not even that. Just because you feel money wise 'secure' be aware that this is something which can change without warning or preparation. Remember, Karma never forgets.

Some day we'll have a majority of self driving cars. You say take me here, plug in the address and watch as the car drives. Then anyone can have a car. Now, if you really can't see right, if bright glare blinds you for that moment, do NOT DRIVE.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
If you had an insurance broker, you could contact them. Since you don't - read the insurance policy yourself and figure out what the notice requirements are. Do you have to give notice of an accident or of a claim? Most likely it is of an accident. You do not want to risk blowing your notice requirement. It might be 24 hours, it might be a year. No one on City Data can tell you what is in you insurance policy.

On the other hand, it is just a trailer park kid. He probably is not worth much anyway. You could just set aside $100 or so and that will certainly cover it. No doctor or paramedics are going to spend any more than that much on a trailer park kid. Pain and suffering? You probably did the kid a favor. His Dad likely refrained form beating him that night since he had already been hit by a car. Maybe you can contact his dad and just buy the kid. If he is yours, he cannot sue you.

(did you even think before you wrote that?)

Oh BTW - the sun was in my eyes is a terrible defense as you have learned. Try something like the kid came out of nowhere, he jumped in front of me as I was pulling out. He actually ran into me. However you have pretty well burned those defenses since you have admitted to driving blind. You cannot say he came out of no where, or that he hit you since you have no idea where he was or came from. You could not see him. Since you said you hit him as you rolled through the intersection, you cannot say you stopped and looked for people before crossing the sidewalk or entering the road like you are supposed to. IN any event you could not see, so you could not look for people.

Here a some helpful tips for the future:

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglass...EaAohqEALw_wcB

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...EaAjB3EALw_wcB

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ar-s-sun-visor

What to Do if Driving Into the Sun |

Sometimes the sun completely blinds you due to the angle it is at. That happened to me the other day. When it happens, you have to do something about it. You cannot just drive blind. Closing your eyes to block out the sun and continuing to drive is also not a solution. In my case I sheilded my syse with my hand enough to allow me to turn into a driveway, turn around and go down a heavily treed road. the tree tunnel blocked the sun. there are other solutions. On time I had to have my son walk along side the car and guide me as I inched down the road until I was able to turn out of the sun. Another time I just stopped. In 15 minutes the sun moved enough I could see to drive.

The same is true in heavy rain or snow. Nature happens. It can blind you. If you cannot see at all - stop. Do not try to keep driving if you cannot see. You might have to wait it out. If it is dark and your headlights go out so you cannot see or be seen, pull over. Do not keep driving. If your wipers or defroster break and you cannot see out. Stop until you can see. Do not drive when you cannot see - ever, not for any reason. If some kids spray black spray paint over your windshield, do not try to get on the freeway and drive home. Also if there is snow completely covering your windshield, brush it off before you start driving. As a driver, it is entirely your responsibility to ensure you can see. If you cannot see - stop driving. If you keep driving, you are just as liable as if you were driving around with a blindfold on or had your eyes closed.

Do you think it would have helped you to tell the policemen "I could not see him officer, I was driving with my eyes closed" "Oh, Ok then you are not to blame" This is essentially what you are saying occurred and why no one believes the policemen said it was not your fault because the sun was in your eyes.

If I were the kids dad and I heard you say that, I would want to find some reason to sue you. Not for money, but to get you off the road before you kill someone while driving blind.

BTW, soft tissue damage normally does not manifest for two to three days. You can be badly and permanently injured and not realize it for a long time. So, even if you expect trailer park dad to somehow pay the paramedics to come to the accident you caused, you may well still be hearing from them. In many states, the police sell or give their accident reports to accident attorneys who are desperate for work. If you live in such a State, they will be all over this kid pressuring him to sign up, telling his dad he is not a good dad unless he sues you and gets the kid a college fund. Chiropractors will be calling him like mad too. They know they can charge 300% when an at fault accident is involved. Maybe someone will convince him he needs acupuncture as well. Massage therapy. . . . they will pressure this kid and his dad like made.

Hopefully you do not live in one of those states.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-20-2017 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
What a great post in response to someone who seems to be making excuses and judging.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM

128,997 posts, read 11,931,519 times
This is why you have insurance, use it.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Lots of discussion about this...But I wouldn't report anything unless they come back asking for money. Its really that simple. The kid walked away, the dad didn't seem concerned, no reason to complicate things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance