Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM

573 posts, read 585,236 times

Advertisements

So yesterday around 4 PM I was attempting to leave my apartments. I was making a left turn, and the sun was in my eyes, as I was rolling through a 16 year old kid wearing a black hoodie was suddenly in front of my car, I slammed on my brakes but he still rolled up on the hood and off the side of the car. The kid jumped up and yelled WTF and I immediately asked if he was okay, needed any treatment, then called 911. Police came, paramedics checked him out, his dad came, claimed he thought the kid would "just have a bruise" and be fine. I shook hands with the guy, the cop said he wasn't going to file a report since the father said he didn't want to, but that he could "change his mind later". I didn't report it since the police didn't make a report. I am curious, should I still report this to my insurance? It is already quite expensive. If I report this and no claims are ever issued, do my rates STILL go up? I am using Geico. Thank you.

P.S. They live in a trailer park, so I am afraid they might do some Googling and see the large amounts ppl can win in these situations and sue the hell out of me. I myself am a student and have no money, but I am afraid of becoming destitute. Also I'm afraid if I tell the insurance company they may try to contact them and offer a settlement, and I don't really want that to happen unless they initiate.

Last edited by Loveswater_outdoors; 11-17-2017 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Nothing like judging someone by where they live and deciding they will be out for money.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
So yesterday around 4 PM I was attempting to leave my apartments. I was making a left turn, and the sun was in my eyes, as I was rolling through a 16 year old kid wearing a black hoodie was suddenly in front of my car, I slammed on my brakes but he still rolled up on the hood and off the side of the car. The kid jumped up and yelled WTF and I immediately asked if he was okay, needed any treatment, then called 911. Police came, paramedics checked him out, his dad came, claimed he thought the kid would "just have a bruise" and be fine. I shook hands with the guy, the cop said he wasn't going to file a report since the father said he didn't want to, but that he could "change his mind later". I didn't report it since the police didn't make a report. I am curious, should I still report this to my insurance? It is already quite expensive. If I report this and no claims are ever issued, do my rates STILL go up? I am using Geico. Thank you.

P.S. They live in a trailer park, so I am afraid they might do some Googling and see the large amounts ppl can win in these situations and sue the hell out of me. I myself am a student and have no money, but I am afraid of becoming destitute. Also I'm afraid if I tell the insurance company they may try to contact them and offer a settlement, and I don't really want that to happen unless they initiate.
Another way of putting this is that you ran over a pedestrian at an intersection (where he has the right of way) and you are already trying accuse him of trying to "profit" from what happened because he "lives in a trailer park".

Yeah the sun was in your eyes. You're supposed to take things like that into account before you move your automobile. In other words, if you can't see where you are going and what is in front of you than you shouldn't be moving your car forward should you? That is not rocket science.

There is a difference between you and me. If I was the driver in this situation, I would be calling that family at home a day, two days after the accident to honestly see if that kid was all right or not. My first concern wouldn't be my insurance rates. It would simply be the well being of a human being who I had injured due to my carelessness. The difference is that a real human being cares about others regardless of possible financial repercussions.

I doubt you are going to find much sympathy here.

Last edited by markg91359; 11-17-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 03:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
If the paramedics came out, they are going to want money from somebody, and since you were responsible for the accident it should be your insurance company.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:45 PM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Partner you got it backwards.

You SHOULD be thinking about " the other guy " not your self.

I am shaking my head at your self entitled attitude. If that kid had been crushed under YOUR car.........you would be in a world of hurt, as your entire future income would be going to support him in the long term care facility, due to his major brain injury. How long would a 16 year old live in a vegetative state ? Do you have any idea ?The answer is the rest of his life. Count your lucky stars that you didn't crush the kid and only bruised him.

XXX.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post

Is your car damaged? If there is no damage, no one is injured, and the police didn't file a report, then there was no accident. Just forget about it. If you report it, it will be an at fault accident.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Let me see if I have this correct:
16 year old "kid".
Police were called.
Paramedics were dispatched.

and you honestly think no police report will be filed?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Let me see if I have this correct:
16 year old "kid".
Police were called.
Paramedics were dispatched.

and you honestly think no police report will be filed?
I have been involved in accidents that the police responded to, and no police report was filed. The cops will just say, "I don't have time to fill out a report. Exchange information and handle it yourselves." I don't know what planet you people live on where cops fill out reports for minor accidents.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have been involved in accidents that the police responded to, and no police report was filed. The cops will just say, "I don't have time to fill out a report. Exchange information and handle it yourselves." I don't know what planet you people live on where cops fill out reports for minor accidents.
This one. I know many LEOs who tell people "no report is being filed" but they admit that when a juvenile and medical are involved, a report (even if just a simple field log note) is always filed. Of course, if a person wants to belive no report was filed so they never bother to check, that's their fantasy world.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:45 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Regardless of any police report, there's already a huge paper trail from the 911 call and the EMS report showing you were at fault in the accident and your liability exposure is enormous. That kid may be in his doctor's office right now. Since your concern seems to be more about yourself than the victim, you'd better call your insurance company asap to protect yourself and your assets from "becoming destitute" , not to mention covering any medical expenses of the victim who lives in a trailer park and probably doesn't have a lot of resources himself.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance