Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

The mistake I see all of you making is judging the insurance solely on a price of a policy. In actuality, its claims service that is important

Actually, it's both: price AND claims service. And you can have both.

Quote:

If you want cheap insurance go watch those silly GEICO or Progressive ads and sign up.

Yep.

Quote:

If you want good insurance than buy USAA, AMICA, Auto Owner's, or The Hartford.

And there are many others that have competitive rates AND good claims service.

You'll need to shop around and then check the insurance department for complaints and the online community for reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
When I was in CO USAA was always expensive and had an additional deductible for hail. Now that I have been in CA for 3 years USAA is priced competitive and their service is really good. They don't nickel and dime on claims from my experience so I keep them being in CA.

Last time I checked AMICA and USAA rank the highest. AMICA is very good used to deal with them at Enterprise, but they are the most $$$ from getting quotes.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Mercury is the cheapest in CA, but their service sucks ass I used to deal with them too and they definitely nickel and dime.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
I've found it really depends on what state you're in when it comes to USAA. We ditched them for State Farm after moving to Florida from Texas. Then we ditched State Farm for Progressive. We don't drive much and don't have fancy new cars that require loads of insurance so we went the low price route.

I did file a claim years ago through USAA and the process was quite efficient. In 23 years of driving, that's been the only claim I've filed. My rate did not go up.

I've read some opinions saying when USAA opened membership to family members, service changed significantly and it changed for the worse. Now they're just trying to get as many customers as they can whereas before it was focused on military members. But it seems the once military-only financial institutions are doing it. PenFed and Navy Federal allow family members to join, too.

I still use USAA for banking and investments, though.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
I haven’t heard that about it getting poorer due to allowing family members. But there was a bit of an uproar when they started allowing enlisted members rather than just officers. But regardless even after those changes they still rate #1.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
Thanks guys! I have always heard great things about USAA, but good to know that is always not true.
USAA operates under an affinity business model. As such, the 'exclusive" nature of these businesses makes it's clientele feel special. Historically, a company using an affinity business models have the highest customer ratings as nobody wants to feel their special club is just average. They can also get a boost when that affinity relationship extends to the employees of the company. It's difficult for a person to feel their "brother" or "sister" isn't really looking out for their best interest. I'm sure all the clients of the Baptist Foundation was giving them rave reviews even after they found out their money was being stolen by their "special" club.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,137 times
I've had USAA for over 20 years. Homeowners, renter's, car, PPI, investments, banking, real estate, car buying. Never a problem. They are amazing compared to some of the companies I deal with.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
USAA operates under an affinity business model. As such, the 'exclusive" nature of these businesses makes it's clientele feel special. Historically, a company using an affinity business models have the highest customer ratings as nobody wants to feel their special club is just average. They can also get a boost when that affinity relationship extends to the employees of the company. It's difficult for a person to feel their "brother" or "sister" isn't really looking out for their best interest. I'm sure all the clients of the Baptist Foundation was giving them rave reviews even after they found out their money was being stolen by their "special" club.
I just love to feel special!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
I am with USAA.

We had an accident a few years ago. We were with State Farm and the person who hit us was with Liberty Mutual. We were treated so poorly. The accident was a nasty one and one with made me swear to never deal with either of these companies moving forward.

More recently, our car was stolen. USAA has treated us so well and did not raise our rates (comprehensive claim) despite the car getting totaled.

Whether an affinity model or not, I absolutely have had nothing but amazing experiences and no longer than a 1-2 minute hold tmie.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:25 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
And no, you don't qualify unless your father was already a member. Neither would you qualify for banking, that's not open to everyone.
You're right.. I thought the banking was open, but appears it is not. At one point, SC had a law that said you could not offer insurance to members only. So, to insure anyone in SC, they had to accept everyone.. Once that law was changed, they kicked the non-qualifiers out.

I have heard that the rates are different whether you're a dependant or a 'qualifier'.. I think my dad, who I got membership through, gets a better rate because he was an officer than I get just being a dependent member.

That distribution check at the end of the year also affects the overall rate that you pay. Usually winds up being somewhere in the 5 to 10% of what you paid in coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance