Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:59 AM

15,411 posts, read 25,750,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
But so is buying the latest Iphone every year and having full Cable PLUS internet service at home (but most have these things ).. Its more like not a priority like having the latest Iphone or buying $200 sneakers every week
I wasn't talking about people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,650,714 times
I'm not surprise. A lot of them probably can't afford any coverage or don't even have a license.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,116,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
But so is buying the latest Iphone every year and having full Cable PLUS internet service at home (but most have these things ).. Its more like not a priority like having the latest Iphone or buying $200 sneakers every week
There is a percentage that will abuse anything but it's equally as wrong to imply that all or even most who struggle to make ends meet are buying $200 shoes.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,465,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Probably illegal too !
It depends. For example, as of last decade... in NJ, it's illegal to drive without liability insurance coverage. In northern Virginia, you can drive without any auto insurance, but the state makes you pay $500 a year for waiving coverage. In most cases, you're better of just paying for insurance than opting out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Makes me curious how many people driving south to Mexico bother to get liability coverage from a Mexican company? I guess there must be many that think their US/Canada policy cover them south of the border, Mexicans and visitors probably should be weary about getting into a crash with these drivers from north of the border as they may be oblivious that their liability insurance won't kick in should they cause a crash down there. Its essentially the same as driving with no liability insurance at all.
If you rent a car near the Mexico border, the rental agencies will ask if you're going to cross into their borders. If so, you're required to purchase "Mexico insurance".

Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 PM

61,520 posts, read 86,710,422 times
Quote:
Nearly 13% of drivers on the road are driving without any type of insurance coverage
That's just an average. In some states the percentage is near 20% or above
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...d-drivers.aspx

Old 01-24-2018, 01:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,300,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's just an average. In some states the percentage is near 20% or above
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...d-drivers.aspx
I'm surprised Arizona only had an estimated 12% uninsured.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,293,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It depends. For example, as of last decade... in NJ, it's illegal to drive without liability insurance coverage. In northern Virginia, you can drive without any auto insurance, but the state makes you pay $500 a year for waiving coverage. In most cases, you're better of just paying for insurance than opting out.p

If you rent a car near the Mexico border, the rental agencies will ask if you're going to cross into their borders. If so, you're required to purchase "Mexico insurance".
True, though there are countless people who drive their own cars south or rent cars from farther interior of the country. As one can see how many vehicles are crossing the border daily. I doubt much more than half of the day trippers actually bothered with buying insurance.

Interesting how rental companies charge a fortune on Mexican insurance almost as much as what they charge for CDW/LDW.

I guess Mexicans locals as well as tourists driving down there should be more wary of many of those who crossed south believing they are covered by their liability back home. When in reality they are essentially uninsured drivers once they cross the southern border. I bet many locals in bordering Mexican states have an issue of being a victim of being hit by "uninsured" gringos too.

So one can ask which is a greater risk, being hit by an uninsured gringo in Mexico roadways particularly in border states? Or being hit by someone from south of the border driving north?
Interesting how the liability insurance policies stop at the border in this case for either direction leaving the unwary unprotected . Which is unlike what goes on in between the US Canada border.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 01-27-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM

32 posts, read 104,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Probably illegal too !
This belongs in the insurance sub-forum.

Anyway, I will be honest:

I am a white US citizen and have been driving with no insurance since 1992. I am low-income, and just found paying liability insurance gave me nothing back. It was like paying something for nothing. I had no assets, so good luck in suing me. So I didn't need protection, so why have liability?

If I pay something, I want the equivalent in good or services back. For example, when I did have insurance before then, the company paid out to me way more for collision and comprehensive claims than I paid them in premiums in two years. I got my money's worth. Likewise for AAA roadside assistance.

Maybe if insurance rates were more reasonable and the same for all people, not based on stereotypes, then I would have gotten it.

But fear no more: I am getting a brand-new car within two weeks, and I will have full-coverage. I have grown up, and am a responsible adult now.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:21 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,724,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth_criminal View Post
This belongs in the insurance sub-forum.

Anyway, I will be honest:

I am a white US citizen and have been driving with no insurance since 1992. I am low-income, and just found paying liability insurance gave me nothing back. It was like paying something for nothing. I had no assets, so good luck in suing me. So I didn't need protection, so why have liability?

If I pay something, I want the equivalent in good or services back. For example, when I did have insurance before then, the company paid out to me way more for collision and comprehensive claims than I paid them in premiums in two years. I got my money's worth. Likewise for AAA roadside assistance.

Maybe if insurance rates were more reasonable and the same for all people, not based on stereotypes, then I would have gotten it.

But fear no more: I am getting a brand-new car within two weeks, and I will have full-coverage. I have grown up, and am a responsible adult now.
Ever heard of personal responsibility? Part of the problem as the majority of drivers have been paying for uninsured coverage to protect themselves against people like you, so in a way you are stealing from people who abide by the rules. This is why the system should be more punitive, not less. Some places will repo vehicles if the driver is found not to have insurance. I think this would increase compliance and bus ridership in equal measure.

Insurance is not based on stereotypes but data and analytics. Smart people referred to as actuaries compile reams of data from which the rates are derived. Too bad we live in an idiocracy and these things are not understood.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 01-31-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 10:27 PM

292 posts, read 426,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Insurance is not based on stereotypes but data and analytics. Smart people referred to as actuaries compile reams of data from which the rates are derived. Too bad we live in an idiocracy and these things are not understood.
They are understood. The problem is people like you who blindly insist they are right. Basing insurance rates on actuarial data (what amounts to stereotyping) is wrong. There are many single drivers who are better than married ones. There are many with bad credit scores who are responsible drivers. Many men are more responsible than female drivers of similar age and experience.

Take a look at these ludicrous explanations on why some occupations get charged higher or lower auto insurance rates. Stereotyping, plain and simple.

Does Your Occupation Affect Your Auto Insurance Rate?

Quote:
Does Your Occupation Affect Your Auto Insurance Rate?
You may always have had a suspicion that your job influences your auto insurance premium. The results of ComparisonMarket's 2006 Occupation Report, show that your occupation can greatly impact your car insurance premium.

ComparisonMarket has compiled data from their partnering auto insurance companies which shows (for example) that scientists, pilots/navigators and actors/performers/artists pay the lowest insurance rates at an average of $935.76 per year. Where as, attorneys/lawyers/judges, executives and business owners pay the highest insurance rates at an average of $1,383.63 per year.

What reason could there be for such a big difference? According to David Roush, CEO of ComparisonMarket, attorneys/lawyers/judges, executives and business owners have highly stressful jobs, which require them to spend more time in their cars and talk more frequently on their cell phones than the average driver. "Taking all of these factors into account, you can see why some occupations are coined as "high-risk" and typically pay more for auto insurance then others," stated Roush.

As for scientists, pilots/navigators and actors/performers/artists, Roush says that there are a number of reasons why these occupations pay less for auto insurance. For one, scientists are viewed as being very meticulous and detailed-oriented people, which translates to good driving habits on the road. This outstanding attention to detail typically means scientists are safer drivers, resulting in lower auto insurance premiums.

The same goes for pilots and navigators whose jobs require them to be focused on the safety and wellbeing of others - skills that are often transferred over to their driving habits as well. "Pilots and navigators are often very safe drivers because their driving record not only impacts their personal life, but also their professional life," noted Roush. "If a pilot or navigator was to get into an accident or receive a DUI, their career opportunities would be restricted or even worse, eliminated."

Actors, performers and artists are also at the lower end of insurance premiums because their jobs require them to work in the city, where they are more apt to commute via train or bus to work, versus driving - limiting their time in the car and reducing their chance of getting into a car accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance