Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Some insurance company will allow a certain type of career to use a personal car policy but it must be rated accordingly and it depends on what that career is.

For example, a real estate agent who uses his car to drive and meet clients. Or an insurance agent who goes to his client's home. This can be rated under a personal car policy and it will cost a little more, due to more risks.

So, you must let your insurance company know so they can rate you accordingly or they will tell you that what you do does not qualify and that you need commercial/business insurance. If that is the case, buy business/commercial policy.

It does seem that you fall under commercial/business use. Which means you need to get commercial or business insurance. As of right now, you will have no coverage if you get into an accident if you are using it for work. At this moment, you are 100% financially responsible for an accident, injury, or death if you use it for work.

About 11-12 years ago, I know someone who ended up killing someone in an accident using his vehicle for business use but did not have commercial/business insurance and the insurance company declined his coverage and he ended up financially ruined due to lawsuits from the victim's family. And, you can not filed bankruptcy on something like this.

Your only option is commercial/business insurance. No other options.
wrong. all my jobs have coverage of their own of some sort. and commercial insurance is not an option as it was not offered to me by the companies i called nor to any of the people i know that were cancelled.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM

14,460 posts, read 20,637,389 times
I know someone who was a driver for a company. He'd have to work hours late afternoon to early evening. He would stop on a delivery and pickup his girl friend. If she had been killed in an accident, well.
He almost lost his job over it. After that he never allowed a friend or family member to ride with him on deliveries.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
I have USAA. I occasionally drive for Uber/Lyft. I have opted into the rideshare coverage rider through Uber/Lyft.

With that said, last week... my wife was driving the car and was hit by a rideshare driver. Police report filed. Police report and every document indicates it is the rideshare drivers fault. The rideshare driver only provided their AllState personal insurance policy, not their rideshare policy information. Both to my wife and to police.

We do what anyone would do--pursue the damages through the insurance information provided. We had no idea he did not subscribe to the rideshare rider as I do (wife does not drive for rideshare).

With that said, the rideshare company is also denying the claim because... while the rideshare driver was online, he did not have a passenger and there was no bodily injury, only damage to the vehicles.

Thus, the rideshare driver is both effectively uninsured and his personal policy is likely getting cancelled. And... we will be filing a claim through our insurance.

PS. We had purchased our vehicle exactly one week prior--it doesn't even have permanent tags yet!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I was told by USAA that if I opted to do Uber Eats, etc., that the rideshare coverage would also cover me. Further, the same coverages that exist for Uber overlap with Uber Eats. Instead of a pax, it's a meal.

Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to deleted post).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-22-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

It's a carrier by carrier decision. There is no single rule. Even within a carrier they can have different rules based on a small difference in your operation of the service. As a general rule, when engaged in paid for service commercial activity with your private vehicle, you need commercial coverage. But the definition of chimerical activity is defined by the specific carrier so they and only they can tell you if you're covered under you're current policy.
(as an FYI, don't confuse state motor vehicle licensing requirements for commercial with insurance company definition of commercial)

Although many get away with not disclosing it, in the unfortunate event something happens and you're not properly insured, the fallout can be devastating to you. If the carrier says you need it with them, you need it with them. If they say you don't, you don't. If nobody will insure you at a price you can afford, you have a decision to make.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-22-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's a carrier by carrier decision. There is no single rule. Even within a carrier they can have different rules based on a small difference in your operation of the service. As a general rule, when engaged in paid for service commercial activity with your private vehicle, you need commercial coverage. But the definition of chimerical activity is defined by the specific carrier so they and only they can tell you if you're covered under you're current policy.
(as an FYI, don't confuse state motor vehicle licensing requirements for commercial with insurance company definition of commercial)

Although many get away with not disclosing it, in the unfortunate event something happens and you're not properly insured, the fallout can be devastating to you. If the carrier says you need it with them, you need it with them. If they say you don't, you don't. If nobody will insure you at a price you can afford, you have a decision to make.
it isn't about a price i can afford. nobody i talked to will offer anything at any price.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
it isn't about a price i can afford. nobody i talked to will offer anything at any price.
Does one need a commercial license to access commercial insurance?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Does one need a commercial license to access commercial insurance?
all i know is that they would not write me a policy of any kind from any place i called.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
This thread has been cleaned up and inappropriate posts deleted. It is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance