Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 AM

9 posts, read 6,395 times

Advertisements

I am in California.

I was driving when the car in front of me slowed down (almost to a complete stop) to make a right hand turn. I slowed down as well. I look in the rear view mirror and see a large SUV coming at us at ~35 MPH and tell everyone in the car (GF and child) that we are going to be hit. The woman did not slow down. Crashed into us full force. As a matter of fact, she didn't even notice us until she hit us. She was on her phone because the "GPS was acting up."

She admitted fault. Admitted to be using the GPS on her phone which is why she didn't see us. We got her insurance info and DL and took pictures of the damage. (Our car is likely to be totalled, airbags lights are on.) And left the scene.

My GF believes that since I was driving her car and she doesn't have me added on her insurance, that the damage won't be covered (she only has liability insurance for the vehicle). I do have my own insurance for my own vehicle.

How do we proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Contact the other driver's insurance company. She is at fault (any time a person hits the car in front, they are at fault, says the law) and they will pay.

I don't see how your insurance status is germane in any way. But, be that as it may, you are covered. You have your own liability coverage, your GF has her own liability coverage.

If the other driver turns out not to actually be covered, then your GF will be responsible for paying for the damage to her own car, unless she has uninsured motorist coverage. It certainly is not unheard of for people to get insurance and then cancel it and keep driving uninsured, retaining the proof of insurance slip.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StgPepper View Post
I am in California.

I was driving when the car in front of me slowed down (almost to a complete stop) to make a right hand turn. I slowed down as well. I look in the rear view mirror and see a large SUV coming at us at ~35 MPH and tell everyone in the car (GF and child) that we are going to be hit. The woman did not slow down. Crashed into us full force. As a matter of fact, she didn't even notice us until she hit us. She was on her phone because the "GPS was acting up."

She admitted fault. Admitted to be using the GPS on her phone which is why she didn't see us. We got her insurance info and DL and took pictures of the damage. (Our car is likely to be totalled, airbags lights are on.) And left the scene.

My GF believes that since I was driving her car and she doesn't have me added on her insurance, that the damage won't be covered (she only has liability insurance for the vehicle). I do have my own insurance for my own vehicle.

How do we proceed?
You file a claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company.

Did you call the police? Having a police report will help the claim move along more smoothly. Not having a police report will bog it down some as they will need to her side of the story, and she could delay in giving it or change her story.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Of course in a lot of places the police won't even come to an accident where no one was injured and both cars can be removed from the scene; and if you call them they will show up and scream at you for calling them and tell you to get those cars out of there.

In other places if you assume that they aren't interested because no one was injured and the cars can still be moved, so you just decide to move on after exchanging information with the other driver, they will show up and scream at you and threaten to arrest you for "leaving the scene of an accident".

I have actually had both of these happen in the same city. Somehow the cops expect me, as a person who is involved in a car wreck less than once a decade, to keep totally up to date on the rules and regulations about car wrecks. So I wouldn't put too much hope in getting that "police report". (Irrelevant to the OP who already either has or doesn't have a police report, I know, but may be of interest to others.)

Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I am in California.

How do we proceed?
You are almost certainly covered under her policy.

However, it doesn't matter. The claim should be filed with the other driver's insurance carrier since he is at fault.

I would expect this claim will be resolved quickly. Your girl friend is probably entitled to daily compensation for the loss of use of her vehicle. I would make sure I asked the insurance company for either that or a rental car.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM

9 posts, read 6,395 times
Just an update:
The at fault drivers insurance is giving us the run around and bullying us saying we will lose the case. We are meeting with a lawyer and will now also be pursuing personal injury claims as well.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Just an update:
The at fault drivers insurance is giving us the run around and bullying us saying we will lose the case. We are meeting with a lawyer and will now also be pursuing personal injury claims as well.
Wow. Why do they think you'll lose the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance