Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 AM

772 posts, read 907,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Yes, hail damage you definitely want to claim. Should t raise rates since it’s an act of god. If it doesn’t bother you, you can probably pocket the money,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the money in this case. This is an old car I am driving as long as possible. Resale value is of no concern.
Then why did you even ask ?! If you don't even care about the car ? Geez !! go away now !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 AM

105,740 posts, read 107,736,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
My vote is no. your car roof or your house roof.

yes I had the same thing happen to my roof. No they did not raise my rates but I got hit with a "surcharge" of $150.00 for the next three years.

Thanks for nothing Allstate and when I got mad and started shopping around for other insurance I found out that the claim goes on some type of "record" and other insurance companies look at how many times you've put in for a claim.
i posted about CLUE above . that is your insurance "credit score "..

it tracks every claim your insurer paid out no matter who's fault if it was not reimbursed to them .

if you cost an insurer money it dings you .

Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,239,318 times
in general I try to not make insurance claims unless the cost is way beyond what I feel comfortable paying.

Wife had a truck tire blow through our brand new car way back and it was 2K to fix. I just paid out of pocket to fix it. My friend owned the body shop and said if you pay me cash and don't go through insurance he could get the bill down for me.

Every incident is on your record as previous posted.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM

it is a good idea to check that report because many times people have inaccurate information in it , like a credit report . i posted the link above. you have to run home and auto reports individually . it is free once a year.

you have an insurance score which determines what you pay . that score is made up of all kinds of info about you and each insurer weights different things differently to come up with your score but they all contain the info in your CLUE report as part of it .

Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,239,318 times
I just ordered my clue report...I suspect mine will be pretty decent but I wonder about my wifes.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM

does she have claims you would not know about ? you can usually see your report on line right away unless they changed that

Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,298,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the money in this case. This is an old car I am driving as long as possible. Resale value is of no concern.
I would leave it as-is.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,420,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Then why did you even ask ?! If you don't even care about the car ? Geez !! go away now !
I care about money.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
keep in mind all claims go on to your clue report . that is like your credit score but for insurance claims .

things like act of god or broken windshields while your own insurer may not raise you ,when you shop for insurance any claim blemishes you and effects your score .

my jeep buddies used to think their windshield were free to replace . until they shopped for insurance , then the claims haunted them .

you can get a free copy of your clue report once a year . you should run home and auto and make sure it is correct . you are priced based on this info . in fact certain claims follow the property too . you can buy a home and not know that property has been flagged for chronic claims and either not be able to insure it or you will pay a fortune even though the claims were a previous owners .

flood claims as an example tend to stick with the property .

in new york your insurer can't raise you for comprehensive claims but they can drop you . it is then your clue report is very important and those claims are all there dinging you when the next insurer prices you .

https://www.insurance.wa.gov/clue-co...iting-exchange
That is interesting, thank you. Especially the part about 'sticking to a property'.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
in general I try to not make insurance claims unless the cost is way beyond what I feel comfortable paying.

Wife had a truck tire blow through our brand new car way back and it was 2K to fix. I just paid out of pocket to fix it. My friend owned the body shop and said if you pay me cash and don't go through insurance he could get the bill down for me.

Every incident is on your record as previous posted.
That is what I normally have done, and why I was asking if hail damage might be different. I've avoided claiming on my home insurance company and just paid out of pocket before.

In this case my thinking was that the payout on this is going to be small (to them) but money I can use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance