Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM

30,501 posts, read 17,950,046 times

Advertisements

While my personal insurance would cover me, I don't want to use it when I'm in a rental. Instead, if renting for more than a few days, I'll use the Amex coverage; they charge you $19.95 I think for extensive collision coverage for up to 40 days of a particular rental). If only renting for a day or two, I'll get the rental company's insurance as it'll be cheaper than using the Amex coverage. I never get liability, however. Yes, I know I'm taking a risk, but I figure that I'm more likely going to need collision coverage (under more circumstances) than liability coverage. Plus, the company has minimum liability coverage on every car in its fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august moon View Post
Do you buy the rental company's insurance when renting a car?

My car insurance company, Progressive, is comprehensive and covers me for any damage in any car I am driving... except possibly the "loss of income" to the rental company if their car were in the repair shop for any number of days.

Is it just a gamble? What is your experience?
I was also looking for a good car insurance review, finally, I got this site insuranceguideline.com/car-insurance/get-best-cheap-car-insurance-quotes-online

Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM

311 posts, read 190,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While my personal insurance would cover me, I don't want to use it when I'm in a rental. Instead, if renting for more than a few days, I'll use the Amex coverage; they charge you $19.95 I think for extensive collision coverage for up to 40 days of a particular rental). If only renting for a day or two, I'll get the rental company's insurance as it'll be cheaper than using the Amex coverage. I never get liability, however. Yes, I know I'm taking a risk, but I figure that I'm more likely going to need collision coverage (under more circumstances) than liability coverage. Plus, the company has minimum liability coverage on every car in its fleet.
It's up to every person to decide what level of risk he or she feels comfortable with. However, there are four bad things that can happen to you if you are in an accident with a rental car and are determined to be wholly or partially at fault:

1. You may be liable for the property damage and bodily injury of the occupants of the other car.
2. You may be liable for the property damage to the rental vehicle.
3. You may be liable for the loss of income of the rental car while it is being repaired.
4. You may be liable for the loss of trade-in value of the vehicle in question when the rental agency gets rid of it and goes to buy a new one.

Every insurance company will cover you against 1. If you have full coverage, your carrier will cover you against 2 as well. About 40 percent of carriers will cover you against 3. There are only a handful of carriers that will cover you against 4.

The rank and file person on the phone will not be able to provide you with accurate information about this situation. In all honesty, your best bet is to install a record-the-conversation app, call a line that announces that your call may be monitored or recorded, ask a licensed agent whether you will be covered (without mentioning 3&4) and then, if you get sued for 3 or 4, file a claim against the errors & omissions (E&O) insurance of the agent who advised you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance