Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM

204 posts, read 144,942 times

Advertisements

I found a great deal with usaa auto insurance as my previous post was about me paying too much for ful coverage and liability with my previous insurance. I was paying $220 for both liability and full coverage for two cars, with usaa its pretty much cut in half. Thank to my father serving in the service and setting me up an account years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM

311 posts, read 194,182 times
USAA can have great rates. On the other hand, almost every carrier can have great rates. If they weren't lowest once in a while, they would have no customers.

You just need to shop for cheaper insurance on a regular basis.

I have a friend who has been with USAA for years. He is an insurance agent. He has shopped and shopped but has never found anyone who can beat USAA's rates for him.

On the other hand, I switch people away from USAA on a regular basis and save them money.

No one can know what company is best for you by just staring intently at the ceiling. You have to get out there and get quotes.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
USAA is a great company but the problem is, they will not accept people who have not served or are immediate relatives of someone who served. I have several grandparents who served and that wasn't good enough.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:01 AM

949 posts, read 572,431 times
USAA was one of the best, but they have become more profit motivated lately. Ads promoting their products have become more evident, which has wasted a ton of money. Their market is already limited, so they dont need to advertise. I have been with them since the mid 80's, if that matters.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
I have been with USAA since 1984 (if I recall correctly), auto, motorcycle, aircraft and home. They have always been informative, helpful and reasonably priced.

On occasion my wife has checked around. She decided we stay with USAA.

I have no doubts some people have had problems...

An earlier USAA post of mine from 2015: http://www.city-data.com/forum/41012377-post161.html

Old 11-19-2018, 02:16 PM

I had a couple of military types call me for insurance once. I knew they were military because of the APO address. When I gave them my best quote, they were displeased. "Why is everyone charging so much?" the guy wondered aloud. "How can I get a cheaper rate?" I asked him whether he had tried USAA. He hadn't. My quote was better than the other quotes he had got, so I told him to call me back if USAA couldn't do better for him.

I never heard back, so I assume USAA gave him a better deal.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Pretty much if you're eligible for USAA, take it. Best company in the business.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 AM

There are a few backdoor ways to become a USAA member even if you haven't been in the military. For example, if your son or daughter is in ROTC, you qualify.

In addition, there are some states (all comer states like North Carolina) where insurance companies cannot discriminate against people based on membership status. Get insurance in a state like that, become a USAA member, and you can not only be a member, but transfer your membership eligibility to your spouse and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance