Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 07:56 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times

Advertisements

We had Safeco for home owners and Progressive for autos in 2021. Renewal notices this month. The $550 home owners with Safeco went up to $730. 52.7% increase.

Both autos was down to $233 for 6 months with the handy dandy Snapshot $29 discount.
Not bad for two cars.

A friend has Allstate and his house is insured for $40,000 more than mine and the premium is $504.
That does include a multi-policy with his one vehicle. Both his vehicle and home are insured for more than mine. Big house, new car, etc.

I decided to look for home owner's since Progressive for $233 could not be beaten.

We have several Allstate agents so I went to one of them and asked why the friend has $504 for homeowners and the best they can do for me is $609? I got the duh, ugh, ugh different factors go into the rates from agent to agent (not agency to agency).

Big house and new car for $504 + ? for auto. And my smaller house and ancient car can't get the same rates or lower than the friend? Why Allstate....why?

And why rhymes with LIE. So don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 02:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,157 times
There’s thousands of rating factors that go into every rate. They vary by carrier, not by agency - the rate filings are set by state, by carrier.

Location, credit, construction, age, all matter. The “bigger newer” house is actually cheaper to insure 75% of the time.

It’s kind of crazy how many people keep repeating this, and people just do not listen.

Go to an independent agent and have them quote everyone they have available. Let the market decide.

$233 for auto is very good, or terrible - totally dependent on coverage, limits, risk, etc.

When I say there are thousands of variables, I am not exaggerating. There are thousands.

Also. Pretty sure you meant 32.7%. Not 52. Get used to it - all of your rates for everything will be going up this year.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:20 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
They vary by carrier, not by agency
When I was an underwriter our more profitable independent agents got the better discounts for their customers.

I imagine that's still happening. You just aren't going to get anybody to admit to it.

Quote:
When I say there are thousands of variables, I am not exaggerating. There are thousands.
Very true.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:05 AM

1,085 posts, read 691,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
When I was an underwriter our more profitable independent agents got the better discounts for their customers.

I imagine that's still happening. You just aren't going to get anybody to admit to it.

Very true.
It’s not happening in personal lines - it’s been outlawed almost everywhere. They may have access to a specific program that is difficult to get an appointment for, but it still has a statewide rate filing. Commercial lines will see a bit of that “rate flexibility”.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:22 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
22% is market trend. Take your 15% and walk away and say thank you. Or, go buy your own bond. That’s legal in almost every state - or self insure. Also legal.

Go.

Do it.

Or do you just like to ***** about OPM?

Also. Where in the actual hell do you see me saying anything about geico giving a lower rate because they spend more? I STRAIGHT UP SAID THEY WERE UNDERPRICED. just in case you needed to use the bifocals.

You made claims about understanding analytics, etc.

Let’s see it.

Cool dude. Thank you for wise words and wisdom. Arguing with you is pointless. You are an actuarial genius. You are wiser than all of us combined. Whoever hurt you hurt you well. So much anger over insurance rates.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It’s not happening in personal lines - it’s been outlawed almost everywhere. They may have access to a specific program that is difficult to get an appointment for, but it still has a statewide rate filing. Commercial lines will see a bit of that “rate flexibility”.
Good to know.

I was, of course, referring to days long past.
Attached Thumbnails
Progressive's Snapshot.-flintstones-car.png  

Old 01-21-2022, 06:37 PM

My quest for the holy insurance grail is over.

State Farm came closer to Progressive than anybody else, but was higher enough so that I'm staying with Progressive for the renewal since I no longer trust any insurance company's promises of a lower rate in the future.

I got quotes from over a dozen companies anywhere from $1000 to $1750 for just 6 months. A real shocker.

Oh well, I'll probably be at this again when the HO comes up and the multi policy discount is removed.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:32 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
I finally found out what the Allstate driver gets with car and home. The car is 77 cents per day and 5 cents per mile. Then based on their driving habits with the device that they keep forever they get small tiny decreases (under 1 cent) per day. They drive very few miles but if they drove 5 miles per day then their premium for 6 months without the device would be $183. I am getting home owners through Allstate since all the others wanted over $800 including State Farm, Progressive and 4 companies through independent agents.
Allstate is $605 and we stay with Progressive for the vehicles since the premium is $233 with the
fabtabulous $29 Snap discount. No one can touch $233 for two cars. We'll see how increases go with Allstate in a year.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:19 AM

I don't trust Allstate. Their agent tried to scam me on my HO policy. Supposedly quoted the same coverage as my existing policy but when I saw the application the liability limit and the house value had been lowered to fit the premium quoted.

Make sure you carefully check the application you get as well as the policy.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Quote:
It’s not happening in personal lines - it’s been outlawed almost everywhere. They may have access to a specific program that is difficult to get an appointment for, but it still has a statewide rate filing.
Apparently not outlawed in AZ. I just had an agent tell me he was a Platinum agent for Progressive and could have given me lower rates.

So, yeah, no matter what you call it, it's still happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance