Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 997 times

Advertisements

My son (under 20 years old) smashed his car to the curb and the car was badly damaged. I thought it maybe just need bodyshop to fix it and we didn't want insurance premium to go up a lot, so we decided to self pay for fixing the car. However the repair turned out to be much more than I thought.

It has actually been more than half a year since the shop was waiting on some parts and it took a long time. My question is can I still file a claim to our insurance since it has been long and the car is already being half repaired at the shop though not all done yet? (We do have pictures of initial damage and video the car self recorded.)

My other question is should I go through insurance if I can still file the claim? I have no idea how much the premium going to increase. I would think for sure it will be much less than the car repair as fixing the car turns out to be very expensive. I have another teenage son that I need to add to insurance within a year.

My son has his old car to drive so he doesn't need rental car. This car is a new car he bought for himself and it is kind of expensive. He also wants to take the full responsibility by paying for the repair and not to mess up his record and insurance premium. But at this point I feel the repair is way too expensive and I don't want to let him carry such burden. At least I want to find out if there is still the option to go through insurance.

But I am also a little afraid to end up in a situation that insurance company decline the claim because the accident happened 6 months ago. however they still increase our premium since they find out that my son had an accident.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 08:14 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
What did your insurance company say about how long you have to file the claim when you asked? If some work has already been done that may affect what they'll reimburse.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:48 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
You can jump from site to site and the answers won't be much different than they were at The Insurance Forums.

https://insurance-forums.com/communi...cident.109788/

Old 12-03-2022, 10:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
What does your insurance policy say about it?

Old 12-03-2022, 10:39 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
What does your insurance policy say about it?
The same thing yours does.

Report "promptly."

Read your policy for "Duties in the event of an accident (or loss, or claim)."

Old 12-04-2022, 10:44 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Don't give a teen, particularly a boy, a car, particularly not a "good" car. Let them work odd jobs and earn the money for the car themselves, or if you are a car guy, when the son is about 12 buy him "his" car and then you guys rework it. A boy will wreck a "free" car because he does not value it.

From where you are now, I'd sell the newer car to a body shop or whoever could fix it, and let the kid drive the old car.

Not what you asked but this is your real answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance