Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

just wondering how much insurance rates go up when you file an at fault collision claim (i.e. if you hit something while backing up and the only damage is to your vehicle and nothing else..is that still considered "at fault accident" or a "not at fault accident"?). This is with Mercury Insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Well, if you back into a tree or an inanimate object, who other than yourself can be at fault?

Offhand, on this sort of thing, you are going to be better off fixing it out of pocket, generally.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if you back into a tree or an inanimate object, who other than yourself can be at fault?

Offhand, on this sort of thing, you are going to be better off fixing it out of pocket, generally.
I would but the body shop is quoting me $1,200 The paintless dent repair does not seem to be an option because the dent is across the edge of the panel between the front fender and the door hinge. My truck itself is worth $6-7k, spending $1.2k for to repair a dent in a panel is nuts!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
there is always the option of not fixing it if you don't care that it has a dent on the bumper

Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I would but the body shop is quoting me $1,200 The paintless dent repair does not seem to be an option because the dent is across the edge of the panel between the front fender and the door hinge. My truck itself is worth $6-7k, spending $1.2k for to repair a dent in a panel is nuts!
Well, shop around. Do talk to the paintless dent guy, talk is always cheap. If you are willing to settle for a less-than-perfect repair, the paintless guy might be able to get it straight enough.

Out in the rural areas of Eastern and Central Washington, I can find small body shops that are usually run by Mexican immigrants - these guys will do a good job for less money, and are more willing to work with you on using junkyard parts for example. Where-ever you are, there may be some similar "lower-zoot" body shops.

Another idea would be to let a local junior college body repair class fix your truck. The results are of course variable, but you pay only for parts and materials, and generally the result is at least OK.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Here is my opinion. If you owe on the truck and are REQUIRED to have collision on it you cant drop the coverage and will pay more according to your driving record as far as points you already have and your age etc also is considered. If you can drop the collision and file the claim and get the cash yourself and then drop the coverage but if you owe they will send the car to a shop and you wont touch the money, Your rate most likely will increase more than 1200 so dont fix it till you can drop the insurance and save that premium till then. Why not call your agent and ask. He cant increase your payments just for asking .That only happins after you file a claim.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
you guys really think the rate will hike THAT bad? i totaled my car, the other guy's car, sent his wife to the hospital, and broke his dog's leg. i went up a couple hundred bucks over 6 months. this was with GEICO. i can't imagine a $1200 claim sending your rate through the roof.

Mike

Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its considered a collision claim against yor collision insurnace. I advise aginst not fixing it as the insurance company requires it as does anyone financing it. You could be breakihng the loan contract for instance and be liable to pay it off immediately.If your not going to fix it then don't file a claim is my advise.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I called the insurance company, they say my rate will go up $80-100 per 6 mos. for the next 3 yrs. In addition I have a $500 deductible. $500 + ($200 x 3) = $1,100.

So, either way I will pay for this repair, I just have to decide either now or in installments!

The truck is paid for and I usually would not care about fixing it perfect but I plan to sell it in about 6 months and I can't sell it with that damage...plus it looks ugly. I will shop around, the damage is minor and I think the body shop I called is giving me a highly inflated insurance company price.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
you guys really think the rate will hike THAT bad? i totaled my car, the other guy's car, sent his wife to the hospital, and broke his dog's leg. i went up a couple hundred bucks over 6 months. this was with GEICO. i can't imagine a $1200 claim sending your rate through the roof.

Mike
Did you file on your collision coverage? If your liability only paid out you got off cheap. With that accident in my state you would get 4 insurance points and try to buy a new car with those and you will be paying LOTS more than a couple of hundred extra for 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance