Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times

Advertisements

If they won't OK a rental, then just say you will be happy to rent the most expensive car you can find, then sue them to compensate you for it. They're not in the business of protecting people who their customers hit just because they called them on the phone. Furthermore, your insurance company isn't in the business of providing coverage that you didn't pay for. The only thing your son did wrong was give up too easily; you should try calling them yourself. They may think he's just a kid and he's not going to sue them. Teach them a lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
that would be a very poor idea, as most courts would deem that unreasonable

all the liable party needs to do is make you whole, not better you

so unless you are driving a very expensive car and have a need to continue driving such a vehicle you would most likely be compensated only at a low level - either through the alloted policy limits or through the courts

best bet is to file a comp/collision claim with your carrier if possible

Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
that would be a very poor idea, as most courts would deem that unreasonable

all the liable party needs to do is make you whole, not better you

so unless you are driving a very expensive car and have a need to continue driving such a vehicle you would most likely be compensated only at a low level - either through the alloted policy limits or through the courts

best bet is to file a comp/collision claim with your carrier if possible
I should have added that I wouldn't actually recommend renting the most expensive car you can find.. but it would make them realize they hit a live wire.

Comp/collision claim with your own carrier only applies if you have comp/collision coverage.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
yep - that's the "if possible" part

if not possible, then weigh your options with cost/benefit

but be persistent, persuasive and level headed and don't be afraid to escalate or let it be known that you may be getting frustrated to the point of dealing with the state DOI and filing a complaint

also their webpage could have some additional information that could be helpful in gaining a resolution

here is the page for NC
Services for Consumers: Home Page (http://www.ncdoi.com/Consumer/consumer_home.asp - broken link)

pay special attention to the PDF "Consumer Guide to Auto Insurance" found by clicking on the Auto button - especially the "after an accident" section on pg 12 of the doc (14 of the pdf)

Quote:
[SIZE=5][SIZE=5][SIZE=5]
[LEFT]How will a company determine
who is at-fault?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]The insurance adjuster investigating the accident
will attempt to determine who is negligent or
at-fault. The Automobile Liability coverage will
pay for bodily injury and/or property damage for
which any insured becomes legally responsible due to
negligence.
North Carolina Contributory Negligence Law bars
a driver from collecting damages if determined to be
partially at fault. In essence, if you contribute to an
accident, you may not be able to collect on a liability
claim. Any disagreement will ultimately have to be[/LEFT]
resolved in a court of law.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Quote:
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[LEFT]I don’t want to file a claim against my company
because it might raise my rates or refuse to renew
my policy, but I’m getting nowhere with the other
driver’s insurer. Any advice?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]An insurance company cannot charge insurance points
for an accident that was not your fault. Your agent can
give you advice about your company’s underwriting
and how the claim may affect your policy.
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]If I am in an accident and someone else is at-fault,
do I get a rental car while mine is being fixed?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]It is common practice for insurance companies to
allow a rental vehicle while your car is being repaired.
However, there are no statutes or administrative codes
that require an insurance company to offer a rental
vehicle.
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Can the other driver’s insurance company delay
paying for my car repairs to pressure me into signing
a release on my injury claim?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]No. If this situation were to arise, you can file
a formal complaint with the North Carolina
Department of Insurance.
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]How long can a company take to pay my claim?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]After receiving a claim an insurance company has 30
days to pay the claim, make an offer of settlement,
deny the claim or advise the claimant that the
investigation of the claim is ongoing. Loss and claim
payments should be mailed or delivered within 10
business days after the claim is settled.
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Is the company required to give me an explanation
of why it denied my claim?[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Yes. The insurance company must provide a reasonable
explanation of why your claim was denied in relation[/LEFT]
to the policy language or applicable law.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,637 times
With my State Farm Ins I had liability of a beater (91 Camry) 2.5 years ago. The car was rearended by a lady looking in the mirror at the time of collision. The only damage to the car was the bumper slightly push lower on that side (about one to two inch lower) not even worth fixing, I would had to point the damage out to you.

Shocking thing about it, I was not driving the car at the time. I loan the car to a coworker to drive for a few months b'c' he needed a car. They paid his medical bill and gave me a check for $750 and offer me a rental car. I only paid $900 for the car. She had Farmer Ins. They contacted me and my Ins didn't need to be notified. I had my check within two weeks.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
Thanks finger, very good information.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
I was in an accident once and the other persons insurance was not helpful until I told them I had a lawyer representing me at which point they became very helpful.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Now days that is usaully when they quite talking to you and wait for your lawyer to contract theirs.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Sounds like standard operation procedure... delay and some cases just go away.

I agree that you need to be proactive... either turn it over to your carrier or be prepared to do the legwork on your own...

A family member was in an accident... no question on liability... the insured's carrier wouldn't return calls and eventually the receptionist said not to call anymore...

That was all it took... a claim was filed in Superior Court... no one in my family is a lawyer... anyway... now the insured's company was calling several times a day offering to settle...

It all worked out OK... BUT nothing happened until the suit was filed...

By the way... the car was totalled... only had it a month. Went out and rented the exact same car and the cost was part of the suit...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No insurance company is particularly responsive to people that they don't insure.

What you do is call YOUR insurance company and let them fight it out with the other driver's insurance company.

not all insurance companies are like that.

I T-boned a guy (he was a lawyer I found out) that had turned left from the far right lane, he got in front of me and stopped and I had no where to go but forward.

We pulled into a parking lot, the cops were at the lot we pulled into. When they walked over he admitted it was his fault, there was no police report since no one was hurt.

He had ERIE insurance. They contacted me about 3 hours after the accident. i explained I had to have a vehicle for work, they authorized a rental and they contacted Enterprise and took care of everything. They fixed my truck 100% (almost 14k in damages) and never had a problem with them.

I have State Farm insurance, but ERIE did take excellent care and were much easier to deal with than I had expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance