Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM

42 posts, read 273,314 times

Advertisements

My 18 y/o stepdaughter was in a car accident last week and totalled the car she was driving. She is listed on mine and my husband's auto insurance policy but was driving her mother's car (which she had borrowed from her). I am wondering how this will affect our insurance rates? I know she was at fault (she rear-ended someone) and will have 3 insurance points...however her mother's insurance company is responsible for all damages according to my insurance company. I also have 2 minor violations (PJC for 9mph over in a 25mph zone in 03/2008 and 5mph over in a 25mph zone in 05/2009) and am wondering if it might be smarter to have her get on her own policy (if she will be able to secure coverage after this accident)...

If anyone out there could help elighten/advise me I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM

271 posts, read 698,867 times
My thing was always growing up and same thing with my friends.

If you want to drive a car. I was reponsible for buying one, registering it under my name, and paying for my own insurance.

One thing it did was made me a hell of a lot more careful when I drive.

I'm assuming if her mother's insurance is paying for it and yours doesn't find out. Your rates will remian the same.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM

I agree with you 100%...unfortunately her mother and father feel that everything should be handed to her, hence the current situation. As I am the policy holder for mine and my husband's car insurance it is my final call if she stays on the policy or not and I am the one making her start paying her part of our premium upon graduation. Am I the only one who thinks I am the only reasonable person?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:21 AM

374 posts, read 1,178,377 times
Your rates will go up if the insurance company finds out about the points on her license. Some insurance companies will pull the driving record annually and some pull them after a set amount of years. In some states, if you get points on your license the DMV will actually let the insurance company know. As long as they do not find out about the points on the license your insurance rates should not be effected.

As far as getting your daughter her own policy that will not help lower costs. However, if you don't want to be responsible for her accidents then that would be a smart way to go.

Edit: My parents always told me that if I got into an accident that I would have to pay all of my insurance. That was always in the back of my head and definitely made me drive more cautiously.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 AM

Mine were the same way. However, she is 18 and still unemployed (I had to push her parents for 2 years before they told her to get a job) and has no income. I have told her that she must pay her portion starting for the month of July or I will drop her.

If we are able to get the failure to reduce speed ticket dropped then she will have no driver's license points, just insurance points, right? I am assuming those will show up when we renew our policy right?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,838,200 times
It's been years since I experienced this scenario with my daughter, I feel your pain! While I can't tell you what to expect for sure, even your insurance co can't or won't. But when your policy is up for renewal the underwriters will certainly not see this as favorable. Usually the family's policy (you) goes up.

Some things you need to consider:
she's 18, and can now stand on her own (legally), so she can enter into an insurance contract.

If the car is titled in both your names, this might stop her from her own insurance policy. You may have to have the title changed - but do you want to? this would allow her to sell the vehicle without your knowledge, or use it for collateral.

If she has her own policy, the rates will be significantly higher than if she was on your policy.

If she plans to live with you (still) you may have to keep her on your policy. There are exceptions...maybe?

I'm sure other posters will have some good info to ad. Hopefully someone who's gone thru it recently will give you some good advice.
Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
When my brother was 16 my parents got the title of his jeep in his name and his insurance, he was a wreck on the road. Many agents will tell you they are too young, just keep calling agents till you find one willing to do the work.

A minor can own a vehicle, the law says it must be insured.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM

As of right now she has no car. What I would like to do (as soon as she gets a job) is to get her a very used car ($1500 MAX, thereby not necessitating collision/comprehensive coverage), put it in her name, put her on her own insurance policy (which she will pay for) and call it a day. I do not feel comfortable taking the risk of having her on our policy and thereby being responsible for her actions in one way or another. My philosophy is that she needs to start taking responsibility for her actions (not to mention needs a job)...

Am I being reasonable?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,838,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegirlncsu View Post
As of right now she has no car. What I would like to do (as soon as she gets a job) is to get her a very used car ($1500 MAX, thereby not necessitating collision/comprehensive coverage), put it in her name, put her on her own insurance policy (which she will pay for) and call it a day. I do not feel comfortable taking the risk of having her on our policy and thereby being responsible for her actions in one way or another. My philosophy is that she needs to start taking responsibility for her actions (not to mention needs a job)...

Am I being reasonable?
I don't blame you, and this sounds like a good plan. But can you buy a reliable car for that amount? I have no clue, I haven't ckd used car prices in ages.

As for a job, my daughter once waitressed at Perkins restaurant. It was the best incentive to stay in school ...I could never have dreamt up a better incentive plan I'm sure she kept a tally on her calendar counting the days until she could leave there.

Does she plan to go to college?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM

I would think at least semi-reliable. My father is very good with working on/fixing cars so minor problems could be handled cheaply.

If I had my way about it, she would take the bus until she could save up enough to buy her own car with her own money. She will not truly appreciate it until she's fully financially responsible for it. Her grades in high school (she graduates in a couple of weeks) have been horrendous as she has thought it it more important to hang out with her friends and update her facebook/tumblr/twitter/etc. accounts. As a result she will have to go to WakeTech until she gets her act together. That is part of the reason why I feel the way I do...I refuse to work and sacrifice so she can **** away yet another opportunity. Unfortunately her parents feel that their little princess should be shielded from the big, bad real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance