U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-01-2012, 11:24 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,410,359 times
Default Anyone know how to transfer to a nursing home in a different state with medicare?

My father recently had a stroke. He was first placed in a hospital, and then in a nursing home. My mother joined him at the nursing home because she can't live by herself. They are in NY. My family lives in NJ. We would like to have them moved to NJ to make it easier to visit (15 min drive vs nearly 2 hours). The problem is that my parents receive medicaid and for whatever reason, NY medicaid will not pay for a NJ nursing home. Has anyone encountered such a problem and know a way around this bureaucratic nightmare? Appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-02-2012, 12:11 AM

6,836 posts, read 14,717,548 times
MediCAID (not mediCARE) is partly funded by the States. Therefore, in order for them to get Medicaid in New Jersey, they would have to meet NJ requirements.

I don't think that there is going to be anyway around this. Have you checked with the NJ requirements? There will probably be a requirement that they live in NJ for a certain length of time before being eligible for Medicaid in NJ.

Unread 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM

817 posts, read 437,387 times
We were in the same situation. We wanted to move my Mom from a nursing home in Brooklyn to a nursing home in NJ to be near us.

Medicaid (which began paying the nursing home after a certain number of years) has very specific rules, and the elder law attorney told us there's a formula they use and that we couldn't move Mom to NJ until January 2014.

If you don't have an elder law attorney I strongly recommend hiring one. The attorney can answer all your questions and formulate when and how to move them out of the five boro's.

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:51 AM

10,290 posts, read 12,600,013 times
Medicare Part B pays for the first 90 Days of nursing home. Thereafter you pay the bill. Medicaid is based on state declared income limit. It is my understanding to move them to NJ, you repeat the same process that you did in NY. The patient has to be in the hospital under doctors care for three days before patient can be moved to Nursing Home. Medicare pays for the next 90 days, etc.. Nursing homes that take Medicaid monies know the rules. Talk to the nursing home Director. He/she do know how to move patients across state lines. There are guidelines in every state that must be met.

It is a time consuming process that probably does not happen quickly. Start the process by talking to the Nursing Home Director. It is unlikely the D.O.N. (Director of Nursing) is serving in dual capacity as the Home director. The D.O.N. may or may not know federal/financial peculiarities involved in moving two patients across state lines.

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,897,349 times
Start by choosing the nursing home you want to move them to, talk to the Admissions or Intake Coordinator or the Administrator, they will be able to answer some of your questions. An elder care lawyer is a good idea if you can afford it. Good luck and God Bless you

Unread 06-03-2012, 12:57 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,410,359 times
Thank you for all your responses. I'm considering hiring a lawyer who specializes in these matters.

Unread 06-04-2012, 12:14 AM

817 posts, read 437,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Thank you for all your responses. I'm considering hiring a lawyer who specializes in these matters.
Wise choice. Before you meet with the elder-law attorney take time to make a list of your questions. The attorney should give you a list of documents to bring with you to the meeting.

Unread 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM

675 posts, read 407,217 times
Dealt with this issue all the time in my past life as a social worker. It is not complicated and you don't need an attorney.

Contact the admissions person @ the nursing home that you select and explain the situation. Then you take your NY medicaid case and billing number to the NJ medicaid office and ask to request a transfer to NJ. They will set this up. Get your loved one in the new location and they can backbill NJ medicaid for the care once you get your new NJ medicaid billing number.

Unread 03-11-2013, 05:52 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,429,835 times
It can be difficult to transfer a patient on Medicaid to a facility in another state. There are many factors based on where one lives.

I wondered what progress had been made here, if any.

I do have another thought but really hesitate to post it as it would very much make a difference what each parent's diagnoses are and what types of care they currently receive.

MSR

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM

3,245 posts, read 1,738,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Wise choice. Before you meet with the elder-law attorney take time to make a list of your questions. The attorney should give you a list of documents to bring with you to the meeting.
I don't know your circumstances, but this attorney might be able to make sure your parents' will is OK, and also review the power of attorney you probably have. I'd think about getting an attorney licensed to practice in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving