Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times

Advertisements

While at the Periodontics's office today getting a deep cleaning on my gums the gal actually doing the work, the hygienist and I were talking about my DH and ALS. Seems her grandmother passed away from it years ago. She asked about my support system so I told her about all of you here and she was so impressed. I explained that I don't really have anyone that actually lives close by but have a group here on CD and explained how it all came about. She was so sweet about it all all and said it was a wonderful thing to have! She made the remark how so often we only hear bad things about people and look at all the very good people I have met here on CD! I agreed! I am blessed.
Arkansas Mac---I must agree with elston on this one. I cannot imagine anyone actually being so cruel so it had to have been done because they did not know how to act or what to say--yes ignorance. How sad for you and your family--we do learn to pick and choose our friends very carefully especially when we are protecting those we love! You and your wife are in my thoughts!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 04-03-2013 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
Very nice to read people offering support to Cyn.
Yes, knowing what to say can be hard.

The thing I never could understand is when people, whom I and my family considered good friends , do ask about my wife's ALS, and then turn it around and try to joke about it.

A middle aged barber..............very good friend of my son's and I........asked about my wife.
My son told him she is starting to fall a lot from ALS ( ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO.....paralyzed now)

He asked my son.........." why did you give her a push" ? then laughed nervously.
He asked my son that STUPID question 3 times in a row.

Neither my son nor I have gone there since after being regular customers for 15 years

I have had "friends at my house and they have made crude jokes to my wife about her ALS , also.
When I got angry, they accused me of not understanding their joking nature.

Yes, being the 24/7 caregiver of my paralyzed wife ( ALS ) I am very protective of her.

I will not allow others to use words to hurt her.

Again, I think it is wonderful the way you folks support Cyn and don't ever feel bad because you can't come up with words at times .
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with such insensitivity. People need to understand that they don't always have to comment, just listening is good. They get nervous because they don't know how to respond and then something rude comes out.

Your wife is blessed to have such a wonderful caregiver.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Arkansas Mac ignorant people can be very hurtful I don't blame you for not going back to the barber but did you tell him why? I sure would he won't know how offensive his remarks were if you don't. Your wife is very fortunate to have you whether you are caregiving or not.

cyn you are just spreading the love around in your area about CD buddies eh? Good for you telling folks you at least have online daily support girl.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Good night all of my dear friends--new and old--what a wonderful bunch of people right here! And I am blessed to know you all!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,218 times
Cyn wishing you and your husband a good night's sleep.

Arkansas Mac, please know there is lots of support, kindness, caring and loving right here.

Hugs to all and sweet dreams.

xxxooo

Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Good Morning Cyn.....just stopping by to let you know that I am up and checking in on you. I will be back to see you later in the day. Now I am off to get my coffee and get this day started. I have a project to work on here. It involves a new glass display case and lots of collectibles.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM

I love that you check up on me elston--it starts my day out in such a nice way! I love how much you care and show it! Thank you and I always look so forward to your morning wake-up call! Good luck on that display case!
Smilinpretty, always so good to see you and I so enjoy your positive posts!
Good morning everyone! It's sleeting here today---oh my! Where is spring??? Oh well I've heard this is not unusual for this time of year here--one day is warm and the next is wet and cold! So ready for some spring type showers and sun!!
Critters are all fed and happy and back to sleep and now it's time for me to get to work online! Everyone have a wonderful day!
Kat, I read today's page first thing, a great way to start the day--

Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
Hi, all.

SOrry I wasn't around yesterday; life just seemed to get in the way. And, right now, we're having a t'storm with a tornado watch for the area. We get a lot of those, but very few tornadoes. We don't have massive flat lands where one can build up steam like they do in the midsection of the nation, TG. So if we do have one, it's usually quite weak. However, I'd rather not find out first hand!

Just wanted to let you know I've not forgotten you, Cyn. Glad you're getting your teeth done; it's not a fun thing to go thru (Been there), but when it's over, you' be glad you went thru it.

Hugs to all....

Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
OMG I haven't heard about a tornado.....and its just started sprinkling where I am. (and I live near nms) YIKES its getting dark now.

addendum.....not to worry it seems the storm has blown past.....it is brighter and the wind subsided and its just a gentle rain now....rather than a wind blown storm. Fast moving storm.

Last edited by elston; 04-04-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Be careful elston and NMS--Tornados can be nasty I've been told--DH has been though plenty in Michigan as a child and he has a real fear of them.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving