Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 AM

47,875 posts, read 21,891,315 times

Advertisements

Good Morning cyn! Hope your shoulder feels better soon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 AM

14,832 posts, read 11,975,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning everyone!
Yesterday was a busy day. DH sold a large chromed part for a Corvette and I had to package it. It weighed 37 lbs and of course it had to be super wrapped so it would not get damaged. I did my best with double boxing and lots of bubble wrap etc but I still worry over expensive items. Of course it is insured but still.....I think I hurt my rotater cuff again with turning the box over and over and then carrying it into the truck and then the post office..ugh. Then we took a truck load of trash to the dump because we don't have trash pick up here. I do it regularly so as not to end up with to much trash. Problem is now I have to load and unload it from the side of the truck without taking down the back gate of the truck cause the wheelchair lift is there so I have to put it in the truck and then toss it out over the side--just to much for one day for my shoulder I guess. I'll try not to do much heavy work with my right arm today. So my poor DH knows my shoulder is sore and he feels really badly like he isn't doing his part around here. I tried to explain it isn't up to him it is just the way it is. I think it's starting the wear on him though. I really have to work on my attitude too though--with business being so bad I find myself being very negative and that sure isn't helping his mood. So tosoday I am going to work on me! Have a good day everyone!
Oh wow, Cyn, I know you hate to impose on your neighbors but is it possible to get one of them to help you with that heavy trash? I bet they'd be happy to help you, no? Or is the dump manned ( it is here, with folks who make sure only county residents use the dump, and don't dump anything they aren't suppose to, but they will help to unload stuff if asked) so someone there could help you? Please please rest that arm/shoulder- rest, heating pad ( or is it ice, I never remember which) and anti-inflammatories hopefully will help it.

Hope that Corvette part makes its way to its destination without incident ( it won't be like they can lose it in the mail, with that size!) and the money for it to your checking account timely.

And (((Cyn)))) nobody's got a better attitude about your whole situation than you do. It's why you're an inspiration to everyone who visits or inhabits this site with you.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,214,771 times
Well I got started on cleaning out the pantry (walk in closet) huge closet--it's unbelievable what a person can collect in just a few years...course a lot of this came with us from CA. If I haven't missed it then I don't need it--but wait--my DH said we can sell it then. Whatever.....I have to make room to put the other wheelchair in there and get it out of the guest room
Thanks again for the vote of confidence Travelassie..wish I felt better about my attitude. I suppose it's hard looking from where I am looking from.
In our area we are on our own at the dump--they make sure you don't dump anything you shouldn't but they don't help. Our neighbors are all working during the hours that the dump is open so I just try to make the bags lighter then I use to. Now I have a ton of newspaper to get rid of...I heard the animal rescues take it but not sure if I have to take it there. I will look into that today. Back to listing a few more items....

Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,200,705 times
HI, there, cyn. Sorry I wasn't on at all yesterday. Things have just been so busy between the kittens and the season.

From one rotator cuff sufferer to another...feel better. And, as far as your attitude, feelings are feelings - they're neither wrong nor right - and you certainly are entitled to yours. Hugs, girl. We loves ya.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 AM

Good Morning cyn and friends. I have a busy day planned getting ready for company.....but nothing like that which you do everyday.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Good morning friends!
Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM

My DH is really is a down mood so today I tell him it will not help--not him or me..so he says if anyone deserves to be down it is him...it still is not going to help anything even though I totally understand and agree--I am right there with him. I just cannot take being down all the time--I honestly do not know how people in this situation continue going on without freaking out. I couldn't hurt anyone or anything but screaming might work!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Maybe a nice walk with the dog will help! The dog never complains or grumps and he really likes me and appreciates me (I think)--my reason for enjoying being around him!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe a nice walk with the dog will help! The dog never complains or grumps and he really likes me and appreciates me (I think)--my reason for enjoying being around him!
I didn't know that you had a dog cyn. I think taking him out for a walk sounds perfect! A change of scenery.....not being in the presence of your DH's downer mood (he does have a right but still you need a break from it); I hope it is sunny there.....even if its cold....a brisk walk could be better than all the medicine in the world.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:23 PM

14,832 posts, read 11,975,005 times
Quote:
My DH is really is a down mood so today I tell him it will not help--not him or me..so he says if anyone deserves to be down it is him...it still is not going to help anything even though I totally understand and agree--I am right there with him. I just cannot take being down all the time--I honestly do not know how people in this situation continue going on without freaking out. I couldn't hurt anyone or anything but screaming might work!
((((Cyn)))), I'm so sorry it's like this for you- it's inevitable, I think, but I wish there were something that we could do to help. Screaming, venting, anything to relieve your ongoing sense of helplessness, grief, and frustration might help, would help... wish there was some way you could take a bit of a respite break and clear your head. You're in that situation 24/7 and it's perfectly understandable how you feel the way you do...

Your DH is right in that he's entitled to feel deeply depressed, but ( and it's easy for someone outside the situation to say this, so bop me if I'm out of line) you're his caregiver, partner and his everything and your love for him, and your frustration at your feelings of helplessness and the fact that you can't control what is happening to him makes you as much, or maybe more depressed than he is- not that one can reasonable quantitate such things. That and an ongoing physical and mental exhaustion you must be experiencing add to the depression.

If you can leave the situation even just briefly- taking the dog for a walk would help to clear your head a little, maybe speaking to a friend, a neighbor, your daughter, anything pleasant might help just a tad.
Is that church you talked about earlier ( I thought I remembered your mention of attending church some months ago) still an option? Perhaps some visitations from the clergy there, or members who may volunteer to visit those who are sick and can't get out?

I know you're not alone, and you've got family and friends, both internet and in real life, and lots of ongoing support, but I think that feeling of you and your DH being alone with that awful ALS must be overwhelming sometimes. Realistically, we know that it won't go away, but you can deal with it much better with support from those who love you and want to help.

Cyn, not that this is much, but here's a big burst of moral support and positive vibes from me to you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving