Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

Boy am I happy you are back---hope your trip was wonderful! You have been very missed my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Happy to see you Elston!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning my friends!
Today the physical therapist is coming by for my DH's first home health care from this new company we just signed up with. His Doctor set this all up and we were told Medicare covers it 100%. I am looking forward to seeing how this goes! Not sure how often she comes in but I believe it is at least 2 times a week. They offer so much but as I said before one step at a time for my DH to adjust to having someone come into our home to work with him. He is afraid of losing our privacy and it is going to have to happen eventually. I hate that too but it is just the way it is.
Hopefully the fear of losing his privacy is a lot worse than the reality will be, once he adjusts to it. These folks are professionals, they know how to put their patients at ease. And maybe ( we can hope) when your DH sees how much the physical therapy and the other care provided by the home health care folks helps him to function better, and also sees how much good that little bit of respite does for you- lightening the pressure, lessening your exhaustion, improving your mood, and that's good for him too, he'll be all for that help.

Fingers and everything crossed for that, anyway!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Hi Cyn and friends

Cyn, I'm glad your health is fine, and happy you qualify for help. You need it, and I hope it will allow you to get much needed breaks.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, last week drained me out with all these catheter stories, plus her chemo of course, and just being at the hospital all week.
Yesterday I had to take Miranda to the clinic in emergency because she had a bad skin reaction - she has very sensitive skin and is allergic to tape, but last week they kept taping/ untaping her chest area so her skin was very irritated, and on Monday night it began to blister. She has to take antibiotics for 10 days. And of course the medication tastes nasty so it's a bit of a fight to make her swallow it (but she's done OK so far). I sometimes have to bribe her, fortunately we have been given so much stuff that I have a bunch of sticker sheets, little books etc in a cabinet so I have stuff I can give her if needed. I know this is a bad method but she needs to take that antibiotic 3 times a day and there's only so much I can do when I'm by myself!
Good news though, her counts are great, and tomorrow I have organized a playdate for her with her friend Audrey, whom she hasn't seen in forever... Hope they will have fun!

Goodnight y'all!
Hope the play date went well for Miranda and her friend! So happy to hear her CBC is good!

Wow, that's another thing she needs is a bad reaction to the medical tape- unfortunately that often happens to people who have to use it as much as Miranda probably does. She'll likely react this way again the next time they have to use it, but they do have "anti-allergic' ( or whatever they call it) tape that they can use for patients who react like that to adhesive tape, and that helps some, although it doesn't stick as well. They should have noted in Miranda's chart her allergic reaction to the tape with a note to use the anti-allergenic tape, but you might need to remind them the next time. There's also some cream that they can prescribe for the skin reaction with those allergies- hopefully calms down the irritation before it gets infected.

As for bribing her to take a lousy tasting antibiotic- whatever works, I'd say!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Back home!!!! Wonderful Visit!!!! Major Jet Lag!!!!

Sounds like you made major progress cyn. I am so proud of you.

Welcome back, Elston! If you just got back I can only imagine the jet lag. Hope it was a wonderful trip in any case!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow, that's another thing she needs is a bad reaction to the medical tape- unfortunately that often happens to people who have to use it as much as Miranda probably does. She'll likely react this way again the next time they have to use it, but they do have "anti-allergic' ( or whatever they call it) tape that they can use for patients who react like that to adhesive tape, and that helps some, although it doesn't stick as well. They should have noted in Miranda's chart her allergic reaction to the tape with a note to use the anti-allergenic tape, but you might need to remind them the next time. There's also some cream that they can prescribe for the skin reaction with those allergies- hopefully calms down the irritation before it gets infected.
Her allergy is written in big bold letters on her file, has been for a very long time. She is allergic to most medical tapes, even band-aids leave a rash after a little while. Unfortunately they have to use some kind of adhesive transparent dressing on the port-a-cath to keep it from moving and in order to check easily whether the needle is still well in place. It always leaves her skin red once they remove it on discharge day, but it fades pretty quickly, except last time around they did, un-did, re-did her dressing tons of times and her skin just didn't like that.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
cyn the other services would help you more than DH like house cleaning, errands ran and you need the help just like DH does. Hope you both give it time to adjust & see the benefits.

Welcome home elston.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM

That poor baby---there has got to be something like maybe the paper tape we use on my DH to hold his feeding tube at night? You may want to ask about that. I know she needs to have it very secure but I just hate to see that baby and you have more problems. sigh........Makes me sad.....

Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM

I don't think they offer housecleaning and I sure could use a little help with that but I do my best. Since I have critters I sort of take responsibility for the house because of their hair, litter boxes etc. I have been told you can't even tell I have a single cat in my house so that always makes me feel good but lately it is much more difficult to keep it that way--with more demands coming from my DH's care. That is where these people can help so I can clean my house and keep my roses alive as they too are suffering! I keep praying!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Well just ask about the cleaning helper that would be a God send for you right now. Oh no on your roses my flowers are getting to much water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving