Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Research "dementia and fish oil" (liquid Norwegian fish oil, or in capsules) under a high-quality label in a health food store (not commercial brands found in pharmacies). Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids are essential as we age.

Study: Brain suffers when fish oil falls short – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
My husband got so bad that when we got into a parking lot, he couldn't figure how to get out of it...and, it was a lot that we had parked in at 50 times. Then he would be making a left turn (no arrow) he would sit and sit, then when there was a car
starting to go thru the intersection, he would turn right in front of the other car. It was real exciting! We agreed that unless there was an improvement, he would no longer drive.

We went to neuroligist, they tested him, decided that he had dementia. Prescribed Aracept, after a month or so, there was a
dramatic improvement, he was able to drive again. Didn't cure him, but, the meds did slow the disease down.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I know 3 older women and all take one of the meds which helps stop memory loss. I think it is Aricept. It doesn't stop loss, but, slows the progression. There are several drugs for this, but, that's the only one I know.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM

428 posts, read 643,609 times
i care for a gentleman who was experiencing early onset memory loss and confusion.
he was also very cantankerous and was fired from his janitorial job after fifteen years.
my naturopath doctor suggested we add a couple of tablespoons of raw unrefined cocnut oil to his daily diet.
we add it to his cereal in the morning and his last test at the neurologist showed such improvement that he tested as well as he did the first time he was tested almost three years ago.
i'm now adding it to my own diet, i cook popcorn in it which makes it easy and delicious.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
i care for a gentleman who was experiencing early onset memory loss and confusion.
he was also very cantankerous and was fired from his janitorial job after fifteen years.
my naturopath doctor suggested we add a couple of tablespoons of raw unrefined cocnut oil to his daily diet.
we add it to his cereal in the morning and his last test at the neurologist showed such improvement that he tested as well as he did the first time he was tested almost three years ago.
i'm now adding it to my own diet, i cook popcorn in it which makes it easy and delicious.
The MD and DO physicians need to know about this miracle. They would gladly latch onto it.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Research "dementia and fish oil" (liquid Norwegian fish oil, or in capsules) under a high-quality label in a health food store (not commercial brands found in pharmacies). Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids are essential as we age.

Study: Brain suffers when fish oil falls short – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs
There is a growing body of medical evidence that mental activity helps keep the brain/mind well and healthy. Card games, really games period ,the faster and more mental effort the better, talking to other younger people , sex for those able, computer time as well as just getting involved as much as possible.

Like it's said.....If you sit in a rocking chair you will die early in a rocking chair.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There is a growing body of medical evidence that mental activity helps keep the brain/mind well and healthy. Card games, really games period ,the faster and more mental effort the better, talking to other younger people , sex for those able, computer time as well as just getting involved as much as possible.

Like it's said.....If you sit in a rocking chair you will die early in a rocking chair.
I think about the people that won't put their loved ones in a home of some sort. So the poor soul sits all day and watches TV or just rocks. At least in a nursing home or assisted living, they get to see more people, interact with more people and have more floor space to walk. Even if they don't like the place, they get more mental stimulation than they do living with only one or two people.

Which is really worse for them? I don't know and every case is different. But I have this feeling that the mental stimulation that comes from having a lot of other people around is good.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM

260 posts, read 909,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
I did this with my father who had dementia. I read a article that said it would help him with his hands shaking. It worked great. Unfortunately Dad had it in his head once he stopped shaking he was cured and stopped using it once it was gone. The article about a DR who treated her husband with coconut oil. The coconut oil comes in a plastic jar and looks like crisco. https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...zfIH0nsQ4jw1IQ

Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
A few years ago I noticed that my husband was becoming confused by things that used to be second-nature to him. He also was forgetful and indecisive. He was only 60 but I thought it might be Alzheimer's, so I brought him to a neurologist. Turns out he has Parkinson's Disease. Normally the physical aspects are apparent before the cognitive decline but in his case it was the opposite. I noticed the mental changes long before I saw the tremors.
It is important to go to a doctor for an evaluation because there are so many different things that could be causing the changes. Maybe it is something that can be fixed!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I know 3 older women and all take one of the meds which helps stop memory loss. I think it is Aricept. It doesn't stop loss, but, slows the progression. There are several drugs for this, but, that's the only one I know.
I and many others would only take pharma drugs as a last resort, if all else fails. Dementia researchers are doing studies with acupuncture and herbs Chinese herbs for dementia diseases. [Mini Rev Med Chem. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI, both Chinese medicine herbs and Western herbs. And of course, nutrition that addresses plaque: Dementia/Alzheimer

Consult a trained naturopathic physician,esp if someone is on allopathic drugs, to understand the possible interactions between drugs and herbs; nutritional supplements like Omega 3 and 6 (fish oil) are standard these days but check in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving