Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,915 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing the slow mental decline of my father, who is 78. A year and half ago I noticed that he was confused by directions and maps, something he was always good at. Last weekend I noticed that he didn't see some quite obvious moves in the puzzle games we play. He also seems to be a bit more withdrawn and I find myself having to strategize ways to spend time with him.

Now I'm wondering what I can do. I'd like to help him take steps to be more self-sufficient longer. I also want to educate myself. What have others done that seem to work well? Can you recommend especially good websites or books on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I have read that learning a new language helps older people's brains to stay mentally fit.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,936 times
I'm wondering if he's been thoroughly diagnosed by a doctor. So many different causes for a mental decline in an older person, so it's important to know the cause if possible. It's not all just age.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
You might want to consider taking dad to a doctor. Have dad sign a HIPPA statement so the doctor can discuss his care with you.

Mental decline can simply be a matter of losing it because you're not using it.

However, it can also be the signs of early Alzheimers. It can be caused by drug interactions or even deep, organic depression. Sometimes a cranky heart not pumping well can cause mental confusion. It's called vascular dementia, the brain is not getting enough blood.

So many reasons and at his age , it's not unusual to see some signs of decline. Most are treatable to a lesser or greater degree. But do try to take him to a doctor- preferably a gerontologist- one specialized in treating the elderly.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
I was just reading earlier today about a new study that has found a link between hearing loss and dementia:

Hearing Loss Speeds Up Dementia, Cognitive Decline In Elderly

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,195,717 times
Undiagnosed infections can also cause it, so do get him to a doctor for a checkup.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
I am 82 and my husband is 85. And Yes, we have noticed a decline.

One thing is that because we no longer have a job, we don't have to concentrate on remembering details, following a schedule and a million other things that we HAD to do. Now, we just exist. I have begun to make myself remember details. If I can't remember a name, I try to remember everything I can about that person. It make take hours, but at some point, I always remember. Is this helping?? I don't know, but I think it does.

I try the same thing with telephone numbers. They are just as easy to forget as they are to remember.
I think the trick is to force yourself to remember details. Spelling is another skill that is slipping. Again, I make myself try first, and then, as a last resort, I look it up instead of using a different word.

Don't do the easy thing. Make yourself do the hardest. This doesn't work for another person. It's just for you. There is NO WAY, NONE, that can make another person think the way you think they should.

I'll get back in touch with you in ten years to see if it works. LOL!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I'm wondering if he's been thoroughly diagnosed by a doctor. So many different causes for a mental decline in an older person, so it's important to know the cause if possible. It's not all just age.
Agreed. My mom was sharp as a tack until she became very ill a few years ago at the age of 87. Turned out she had a UTI. She suffered a stroke last year which is when we found out that she had been having mini strokes. She had high blood pressure for many years and was diagnosed with vascular dementia.
The best website I can recommend is Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia | Alzheimer's Association
That site has so much information - it has been a tremendous help and resource for me.
Best of luck with your dad.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I am 82 and my husband is 85. And Yes, we have noticed a decline.

One thing is that because we no longer have a job, we don't have to concentrate on remembering details, following a schedule and a million other things that we HAD to do. Now, we just exist. I have begun to make myself remember details. If I can't remember a name, I try to remember everything I can about that person. It make take hours, but at some point, I always remember. Is this helping?? I don't know, but I think it does.

I try the same thing with telephone numbers. They are just as easy to forget as they are to remember.
I think the trick is to force yourself to remember details. Spelling is another skill that is slipping. Again, I make myself try first, and then, as a last resort, I look it up instead of using a different word.

Don't do the easy thing. Make yourself do the hardest. This doesn't work for another person. It's just for you. There is NO WAY, NONE, that can make another person think the way you think they should.

I'll get back in touch with you in ten years to see if it works. LOL!!!
Okay, Padgett, I think I may love you.....LOL! This is great and something I am trying to do myself though I am not 82 yet, closer to 70. But, I know I am slipping and trying hard to adjust and combat. I still work so some may be coming from stress, I don't know. Good luck in your efforts !

eta: to add that I found all the advice very helpful for myself. Thx.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
I agree that a thorough check-up by his doctor is the first step. Make sure the doc does blood tests. There are so many possible reasons, i.e. low thyroid, untreated high blood pressure.

Has he started taking any new meds lately? Could also be side effects of meds.

Is he depressed?

Is he eating properly?

Also, agree that he should give permission to the doc to speak with you. Maybe go with him to the doc, if possible.

hope things get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving