Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has moved BOTH dementing parents into her home, small one too, both with walkers as well. My friend and her parents have ample funds to hire even part time home health staff but my friend always takes it upon herself to bath her parents herself. Several friends and I have thought this is really weird for her to be bathing her father when she could have a home health person do it.

Are we off base with thinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Yes, it is none of your business.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Yeah.

Because when you're providing care giving for your father, its not a big deal, or at least for many/most of us it isn't.

Sure, I could destroy my parents nest egg by hiring help for my dad 7x/ week and never look at my father unclothed, but A) that would be incredibly irresponsbile of me, and B) its not a big deal. No different than dealing with any other bodily functions.

You basically become very clinical/detached about it.

Perhaps your friend had experiences with aides and didn't like their care of her parents? Perhaps the aides let the parents get chilled, or didn't rinse them carefully or were rough with them??

If your friend is able to provide these tasks for her parents, (mother and father), there's nothing odd about it. Now if she's killing herself to do so and won't get any assistance at all, that's not healthy and hopefully she can be persuaded to get some assistance.

But bathing is not something that especially needs to be farmed out to a third/neutral party if she is capable of doing it herself.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I have a friend who has moved BOTH dementing parents into her home, small one too, both with walkers as well. My friend and her parents have ample funds to hire even part time home health staff but my friend always takes it upon herself to bath her parents herself. Several friends and I have thought this is really weird for her to be bathing her father when she could have a home health person do it.

"Really weird"? What are you thinking? That she has something pervy going on with her father?

Conceivably she loves her parents - father, in this case, and feels that she wants to provide for their personal care while she can, and not turn them into "patients" any sooner than she has to. Some people are made that way, they are willing to take things on themself.

Quite frankly it sounds like you and her other "friends" are not much in the way of friends if this is where your interest in her situation lies.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

I don't think it is "really weird". Ample funds only go so far in cases like this. I took care of both of my parents, including bathing. The first time with my dad was pretty uncomfortable, but I would think it was more-so uncomfortable for him.

By that time, I had already taken on a care-giver roll for the most part.

Look. It is the circle of life. When we are born, our parents care for us. It is their duty to love and care for us the very best they can. For a good many years, parents for the most part turn it over to the caring of their kids.

As they get older, and can no longer care for themselves, it is then the childs duty to care for their parents. I hope my kids never have to do that, but I do think I raised them in the way that they would not mind, just as I did not mind caring for my parents and grandmother.....

It also is not much of anyones business the choice your friend is making but her own.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Yes, it is none of your business.

Uhmm, she tells us all about this. Hence, she makes it our business when she talks about it.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yeah.

Because when you're providing care giving for your father, its not a big deal, or at least for many/most of us it isn't.

Sure, I could destroy my parents nest egg by hiring help for my dad 7x/ week and never look at my father unclothed, but A) that would be incredibly irresponsbile of me, and B) its not a big deal. No different than dealing with any other bodily functions.

You basically become very clinical/detached about it.

Perhaps your friend had experiences with aides and didn't like their care of her parents? Perhaps the aides let the parents get chilled, or didn't rinse them carefully or were rough with them??

If your friend is able to provide these tasks for her parents, (mother and father), there's nothing odd about it. Now if she's killing herself to do so and won't get any assistance at all, that's not healthy and hopefully she can be persuaded to get some assistance.

But bathing is not something that especially needs to be farmed out to a third/neutral party if she is capable of doing it herself.

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense how you put it.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
"Really weird"? What are you thinking? That she has something pervy going on with her father?

Conceivably she loves her parents - father, in this case, and feels that she wants to provide for their personal care while she can, and not turn them into "patients" any sooner than she has to. Some people are made that way, they are willing to take things on themself.

Quite frankly it sounds like you and her other "friends" are not much in the way of friends if this is where your interest in her situation lies.

Good God, not pervy... that came from you. We, friends, were just thinking of boundaries. geez...

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
I don't even see why you think it's weird. Some men have to provide personal care for their mothers as well. You do what you gotta do and sometimes the best person is a son, daughter, mother, sister, brother. Sure glad you're not my "friend" and I'm having to justify my actions to you. Especially since you bring it up to a whole bunch of people and do not even discuss it with her.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
I don't even see why you think it's weird. Some men have to provide personal care for their mothers as well. You do what you gotta do and sometimes the best person is a son, daughter, mother, sister, brother. Sure glad you're not my "friend" and I'm having to justify my actions to you. Especially since you bring it up to a whole bunch of people and do not even discuss it with her.

Obviously, you didn't read my post. I said she talks to us about this. We never wanted or asked her to justify anything she did.
Glad you're not my friend too... don't need someone jumping to conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving