Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

It's exhausting. I have been doing it for ten years (not the primary caregiver, but totally responsible for everything else).

The elderly female expects me to entertain her, as well as take care of every detail of her life. She has literally said that my life can wait. It is all about her.

I would like to wake up one morning and think ONLY of myself and what I want to do that day. I would like NOT to get phone calls that her sewer is backed up, she did not like her dinner (called it "garbage" and demanded to know if I ate the same thing), etc.

I am just venting. There is nothing that can be done. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I did it for 35 years. Yes the sewer is an issue. So is her heath and well being. Even if you are related you need a Medical Power of Attorney and a Durable Power of Attorney (whatever your state calls these documents) to pay bills, etc.. If you have the job you need the legal tools to do it.

You can set limits. You must set time for yourself. Every day, or at the least twice a week when the caregiver is in the house. Check with your state and look for Senior Services. Unless the woman is wealthy you should be able to arrange for home help to clean and cook - in which case you should be absent. If the food is that bad find a new cook.

I know this is no consolation, but it harder to do your job and live in the same house. My spouse was sick for 25 years. In addition to the normal issues I dispensed medicines, cooked a special diet, repaired medical equipment, and did all the things required to maintain it properly.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I did it for 35 years. Yes the sewer is an issue. So is her heath and well being. Even if you are related you need a Medical Power of Attorney and a Durable Power of Attorney (whatever your state calls these documents) to pay bills, etc.. If you have the job you need the legal tools to do it.

You can set limits. You must set time for yourself. Every day, or at the least twice a week when the caregiver is in the house. Check with your state and look for Senior Services. Unless the woman is wealthy you should be able to arrange for home help to clean and cook - in which case you should be absent. If the food is that bad find a new cook.

I know this is no consolation, but it harder to do your job and live in the same house. My spouse was sick for 25 years. In addition to the normal issues I dispensed medicines, cooked a special diet, repaired medical equipment, and did all the things required to maintain it properly.
Cannot even IMAGINE . . . 35 years? Yikes.

I was just venting.

Thank you.

She had one meal she didn't like. It was fish but the caregiver didn't tell her that and she thought it was some kind of rotten meat. And she got vicious about it. She likes fish and the next week was served the same thing and was told what it was and liked it.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,291 times
I know you are not specifically looking for suggestions, but is there a reason you need to pick up the phone every time your relative calls, when there is a caregiver with her who will presumably notify you of any bona fide emergencies?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I am pretty sure she does if for the same reason I did. "What IF?"

Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM

I am never prepared for viciousness. I just can't wrap my head around it.

The caregivers are very kind. I feel sorry for them. She swears at them and treats them like servants and slams doors and everything. She has always been this way. I did tell her to please treat the caregivers more kindly and she asked "why?"

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I did it for 35 years. ...
BTDT... Got responsibility my disabled dad the day I turned 18, and for next 32 yrs.

Had 8 yrs 'off' before my spouse got chroncally ill. Probably another 30 yrs in front of me (not all will be 100% care (I hope).

I do lots of Hospice and eldercare for others, as they can't handle it (especially with parents).

Life... not my plan.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's exhausting. I have been doing it for ten years (not the primary caregiver, but totally responsible for everything else).

The elderly female expects me to entertain her, as well as take care of every detail of her life. She has literally said that my life can wait. It is all about her.

I would like to wake up one morning and think ONLY of myself and what I want to do that day. I would like NOT to get phone calls that her sewer is backed up, she did not like her dinner (called it "garbage" and demanded to know if I ate the same thing), etc.

Remember when you said that my being a 9 could mean that my will belonged to somebody else? Well, I feel that this situation is parallel to one that my mother and I have with my step-brother.

He is so self-neglecting, that he will sit in his own waste for hours…

Is there a reason you are taking care of this woman?

I would think that since Te comes first in your judging stack, rationalizing would be key here.

Remember, I'm the feeler, so feeling-based arguements are normal for me.

I am getting a strong feeling of Fi from this post. I highlighted key words…

I am just trying to help you like you helped me…

Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,417 times
Quote:
I am never prepared for viciousness. I just can't wrap my head around it.

The caregivers are very kind. I feel sorry for them. She swears at them and treats them like servants and slams doors and everything. She has always been this way. I did tell her to please treat the caregivers more kindly and she asked "why?"
She is ignorant…

…do you happen to know her type?

If she is ESxJ, she will never change at her age…

Anything else you could work with if you start with a theory…

Clearly, starting with practice isn't working…

Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
Quote:

That is very easy to arrange imcurious...just turn off your phone It wouldn't be "wrong" for you to "wake up one morning and think only of myself"...why don't you? Once in awhile it's good to take care of you...not someone else. If you don't life can become very stressful. Must this woman see you every day?..Can't you tell her you won't be around a couple of days (staggered if you want) a week?..and then just don't answer your phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving