Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM

133 posts, read 316,816 times

Advertisements

We recently got word that the nursing home we have my mother in law in is closing, we were notified by letter, the letter said we have ninety days to find a new home for her, in the meantime we met with the director, and she gave us a list of places to look into. Being a small town, we have been hearing a lot of stories, one being the bome is closing mid July, not ninety days as originally told, we further checked into this rumor, and it was confirmed that it is closing mid July, or "sooner". Does anybody have a link to what the law states regarding notification of closing time frames, we are now rushing around trying to find suitable placement for her. Obviously something is going on, as a place that has been in business for sixty years, does not suddenly close down. We also have suspicions of Medicare fraud, regarding doctor fees, and billing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
They are most likely just an unsustainable building. And if it is a small facility, the cuts in reimbursement (11.1 or 11.3% from Medicare alone) make it that much harder to adjust staffing, food costs, utilities, etc. if a buildings census fluctuates when the margin is already thin, or other facilities are subsidizing its' existence. Add to that, that if it is an older building costs to maintain or refurbish to today's standards... unjustifiable.

It's happening in several areas of the country. And I always hear the rumors of fraud, poor care, closing just to avoid getting in trouble of some kind. Generally nonsense.

As far as laws regarding notification, in the states where I have worked it is only 30 days.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
We recently got word that the nursing home we have my mother in law in is closing, we were notified by letter, the letter said we have ninety days to find a new home for her, in the meantime we met with the director, and she gave us a list of places to look into. Being a small town, we have been hearing a lot of stories, one being the bome is closing mid July, not ninety days as originally told, we further checked into this rumor, and it was confirmed that it is closing mid July, or "sooner". Does anybody have a link to what the law states regarding notification of closing time frames, we are now rushing around trying to find suitable placement for her. Obviously something is going on, as a place that has been in business for sixty years, does not suddenly close down. We also have suspicions of Medicare fraud, regarding doctor fees, and billing issues.
Who confirmed the rumor that it is closing in mid July? Have you spoken to the director about this?

What is the date on the letter? As already mentioned, in most states it is 30 days notice.

You need to give more detailed information in order to get help on here.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM

A neighbors relative works at the home, she said her last day is mid July, we did not question this to much originally, but on a lark my brother in law called the home last night, and they also confirmed mid July, even though the letter was sent and received two weeks ago, and stated we have ninety days to make other arrangements for her. As to the fraud allegations, my mother in law has repeatedly told us that the doctor just pokes his head in the door,says hello, or comes and talks to her a little, but does not actually examine her very often. We have seen many charges on her bill during the last two and a half years for doctor exams. She gets a little mixed up, but for the most part she is still pretty sharp. Thanks for the information as to the 30 day law. We are in PA, is this the law for all states? We are going to be seeing a lawyer on Monday to make sure we are handling all the paperwork correctly, and will be asking about the 30 days we have been given, verses the ninety days the letter stated we have.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I sympathize on the bills from the doctor, or from the home related to doctor visits. Pretty sure we've all had sticker shock when a bill comes from one of them and the visit was mere minutes at the most.

Not sure of PA specific laws about notification, but to me the bottom line would be - where to best place mom now? What did you like about the current home? What didn't you like? I've helped people organize those questions, prioritize their loved ones needs, and always suggest they go into a home at a scheduled time, meet with a member of the administration and conduct it as though they were hiring an employee.

I don't recommend voicing your dissatisfaction about the current facility. But, think of ways to word your questions so you will be assured that the new place will provide the care that your MIL needs.

Good luck. Moving can be difficult for everyone. I hope you find a good place for your MIL.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM

BranD, thanks for the reply. What we liked about the current home was that it had a family feeling, was small, and most importantly she was happy there, not to mention much healthier than she had been in years. It's sad, as the place had been in business for fifty plus years. What scares us is that we thought we had ninety days to tour and find a new place, now we only have two weeks. We toured one place, got a call saying that they did not have a bed for her, we toured a second place, and really liked it, we have submitted the paperwork, and are waiting for a callback to see if she can be placed there. She is private pay, so we figured it probably would not be hard finding someplace nice, but now we are starting to wonder. We are keeping our fingers crossed, and hoping the second place can take her.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not sure of PA specific laws about notification, but to me the bottom line would be - where to best place mom now? What did you like about the current home? What didn't you like? I've helped people organize those questions, prioritize their loved ones needs, and always suggest they go into a home at a scheduled time, meet with a member of the administration and conduct it as though they were hiring an employee.

I don't recommend voicing your dissatisfaction about the current facility. But, think of ways to word your questions so you will be assured that the new place will provide the care that your MIL needs.
I agree totally. Find a good place for your MIL before you start fighting about the timeline. if they are letting staff go, she might have a hard time after mid-July if she stays longer.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'm sure you're intelligent enough to figure it out when a facility says they have no beds, that doesn't mean they don't have no beds. They could be very picky!

But private pay residents are usually more sought after than Medicaid residents, so it should be easier for you in finding a place.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Of course we know it does not mean they have no beds. Apparently they are only taking certain types of residents. We were told to maybe look into a personal care home for her, when I asked what the difference was between personal care, and skilled nursing, the reply was the number of staff was less in a personal care home. My mil is diabetic and has either Parkinson's or some form of it, and has fallen several times. This home was a very small home, we are now waiting on a reply from the second home, they said they have openings, but they are also reviewing her charts, hopefully this will not change after the review. thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm sure you're intelligent enough to figure it out when a facility says they have no beds, that doesn't mean they don't have no beds. They could be very picky!
That would be highly unsual. The home I work in has all the beds filled quite frequently. No home is going to turn down a private pay patient if they have beds available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving