U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
 
3,690 posts, read 2,221,870 times
Reputation: 4150
Default ALF Residents kept too long

When death is better than a nursing home, by A.C. THOMPSON, PROPUBLICA AND JONATHAN JONES, Salon

When death is better than a nursing home - Salon.com

This is a good article about Emeritus assisted living residences. If you read the article, you will be horrified, but also understand what NOT to tolerate in ALFs. It doesn't talk about ALFs in general, contrary to the title, but about a specific case involving a family and Emeritus, a chain of ALFs.

ALFs are for people who can move about with or without assistance, but laws may differ from state to state. If you have questions about what an ALF can do, you need to contact the office of the state's department of aging for guidance. And you have to be serious about the care your loved one is getting.

But the article speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
 
6,909 posts, read 15,451,088 times
Reputation: 6293
Maybe we should ask the question "why is a nursing home or ALF better than death?"

Why do people dread death so much? I am guessing that many pray for death rather than move from a familiar home.

Find out what your "loved one" would prefer.

Would you be content to just stare at the same wall day after day for years? I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 PM
 
3,690 posts, read 2,221,870 times
Reputation: 4150
Unfortunately, elders who insist on staying in their homes might be more likely to stare at four walls. In a good ALF there is social stimulation, even if it is very mild. My mother often plays games with a couple or three friends. She has to walk to the dining room for meals. She says she is content.

Again, we don't get to decide when or how we will die. This is not a matter of simply saying, "Well, I'm ready now. I think it is time for me to die." We don't get to do that. We can sit and wait for death. Or we can try to make our remaining time pleasant. And, hopefully, we would want to be warm, safe and well fed. Elders who live by themselves at home have trouble with those things.

However I don't think these places are a one-size-fits-all solution. Some elders have willing caregivers and they don't have to go live in another place. Others are harder to live with, and they do better when staff dose their meds, etc.

As I pointed out, the headline was a bit misleading. But the tragedy that befell the older woman who was not treated well in the ALF was horrible. For me it is a cautionary tale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 AM
 
Location: NY & Fl
10,523 posts, read 6,784,410 times
Reputation: 8373
The main thing I got out of that article was not to go to an Emeritus owned facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM
 
789 posts, read 570,921 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The main thing I got out of that article was not to go to an Emeritus owned facility.

Some are decent. Some are not.

What I take away is: Don't put your loved one anywhere where you cannot check on them. And, if something appears to be amiss, follow up. Don't leave it to staff, and don't depend on the platitudes in some glossy brochure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM
 
2,476 posts, read 4,544,282 times
Reputation: 1693
Don't kid yourself most assisted living and nursing homes are like this. Even in the best nursing homes this happens. I personally will make sure I off myself before I slowly suffer and die like most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
 
3,690 posts, read 2,221,870 times
Reputation: 4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Don't kid yourself most assisted living and nursing homes are like this. Even in the best nursing homes this happens. I personally will make sure I off myself before I slowly suffer and die like most people.
Like all sweeping generalizations, this is not true. In this case, the Alf was housing people who they were not equipped to handle. I do think that the resident without a family advocate will probably not be treated as well as someone with an involved family member.

I regard the article as a warning, not a wholesale indictment. I also think ALFs might be better if the focus was not so much on profit. I think the food could be improved too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM
 
9,717 posts, read 5,918,498 times
Reputation: 9732
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When death is better than a nursing home, by A.C. THOMPSON, PROPUBLICA AND JONATHAN JONES, Salon

When death is better than a nursing home - Salon.com

This is a good article about Emeritus assisted living residences. If you read the article, you will be horrified, but also understand what NOT to tolerate in ALFs. It doesn't talk about ALFs in general, contrary to the title, but about a specific case involving a family and Emeritus, a chain of ALFs.

ALFs are for people who can move about with or without assistance, but laws may differ from state to state. If you have questions about what an ALF can do, you need to contact the office of the state's department of aging for guidance. And you have to be serious about the care your loved one is getting.

But the article speaks for itself.
Gosh, if the only two choices I had was being in THAT alf, or dying, I might choose death too...doesn't mean I'd want to. I thank my lucky stars every day that I'll never end up like that poor old woman, I'll pass on living the last of my precious life in hell, and paying for it to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
 
5,856 posts, read 3,822,083 times
Reputation: 7431
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Like all sweeping generalizations, this is not true. In this case, the Alf was housing people who they were not equipped to handle. I do think that the resident without a family advocate will probably not be treated as well as someone with an involved family member.

I regard the article as a warning, not a wholesale indictment. I also think ALFs might be better if the focus was not so much on profit. I think the food could be improved too.
As someone who has worked for years in ALF's and nursing homes, I can say all for-profit companies whether retail companies, auto companies, or ALF's and nursing homes, put profits first. This article is the same as the Frontline show on TV this month that the other thread is about "Life and Death in Assisted Living". Some will be better than others, but ALL of them are going to fill beds as first priority, and when they have a lot of empty beds, the pressure is fierce on the sales people to fill the beds no matter what, so they often take people they aren't equipped to handle. This company Emeritus per the show, is the darling of wall street and the shareholders could care less about the people.

Non-profits are better IMO, but even with family members present, if the place is not appropriate for your loved one they shouldn't be there. Many family members want them in a place they think is great and beautiful, but are in denial about their loved ones capabilities. Just because an ALF will take your Mom who is wheelchair bound, a fall risk, and needs a lot of skilled care, doesn't mean they should be there. I have seen many residents move into ALF when they really should be in a nursing home, but the family doesn't want them in a nursing home so they go from ALF to ALF until they find one who says they will accept her and just hope for the best. That ALF who takes your mom when the 3 ALF's before that one said her needs are too great, is just trying to fill empty beds. No matter how often you are there, it is not going to make up for the staffing differences in ALF vs. nursing homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top