Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate recommendations for a power lift chair. What kind of brand do you think is the best and what is a reasonable amount to spend?

I'm seeing prices for new chairs from $1,600 all the way down to $400.

I've looked at new ones... La-Z-Boy makes a terrific reclining chair, but how about lift chair?
Theirs seem to be the most pricey.

Looking at C_List seems iffy. Hate to have to go driving all over town for someone's used chair which may or may not work.

I'm moving my dear mother to an Assisted Living facility and don't want to get a chair that will wind up conking out on her - especially if she gets stuck in it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
First of all you need to know what you want, there are 2 position, 3 position, infinate and zero gravity chairs. there are ones with one motor and two motors, best out there is 2 motor Zero gravity chair. Golden technologies seem to have some of the best.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
When I sold furniture for a living my store carried lift chairs. It would be good if you could take your mom to a store that has models in stock she can try out.

Having the motorized lift work well is important, of course. La-Z-Boy has one of the industry's better guarantees on all its products, especially its recliner and lift chairs. There are also chairs that just eject the sitter up and out with a lever. They are less expensive, but I don't recommend one of those for someone who requires living assistance. My mother is 87 and I doubt she always has the strength to operate one of those.

Even more important is how the chair fits the user. Many elderly women have shrunk to the point they can't sit properly in a lot of chairs. She might need a shallow seat so her feet can touch the floor and/or a narrow enough seat that the arm rests are positioned properly for her. (Easy chairs range in width from 33 to 40 inches.) The height of the back in relationship to her height is important, too. Sometimes women are so short what should be the lumbar support is hitting their shoulders.

Many recliner-style chairs are designed for men. La-Z-Boy does, however, make a line specifically designed for smaller people. A motorized recliner can actually cost much more than $1,600. But if your mom needs a smaller-scale chair it should be on the lower end of the price continuum, unless she wants custom fabric.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Avoiding Mistakes when Buying a Power Lift Chair Recliner:

Five Tips From A Licensed Physical Therapist

Avoiding Mistakes when Buying a Power Lift Chair Recliner

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Be aware that Medicare part B, while it won't pay for the chair itself, WILL pay for the motor. You might want to go to a medical supply store rather than a furniture store, as they will fill out the Medicare paperwork for you. You need a doctor's prescription, but that is easy to get.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Thanks to everyone for your excellent feedback. I knew I came to the right place for support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving