Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times

Advertisements

However, if you went to SOME ..... Cancer Treatment Centers of America ....they certainly would not give you bad news.

Not until they had sucked your last penny out of you by giving false hope and treatments $$$$$$$$$$ that no longer helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 AM

12,933 posts, read 9,543,787 times
I didn't want the doctor to tell my mother that she had cervical cancer because she had others things going on as well. However, he told me that it was part of his jobs to let his patients know the truth about what is going on with them. Me and my sister tried to convince him otherwise but to no avail. Even though it is hard, I believe it is best that they know. If you can find the courage to tell her in a private moment just between the two of you. I also hope you have all the family support you need because I know this is a hard thing to deal with. Sorry for what you are having to deal with and I wish you all the best during these tough times.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:54 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,024,354 times
Yes you have an obligation to tell her. We see this same scenario play out over and over in varying situations. But at the end of the day, people deserve to know the truth...always! It is always unfair to hide, soften or sugar coat the truth from the affected person.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times
What if they don't ask ?

I do believe some people don't ask because they already know and don 't want their upcoming death to be a constant daily topic.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM

293 posts, read 553,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
What if they don't ask ?

I do believe some people don't ask because they already know and don 't want their upcoming death to be a constant daily topic.
You may be right, but I think that some people who don't ask probably just don't want to know. If someone prefers to hold onto the belief that they can recover and don't want to hear the truth, I think that should be respected, too. It may be the only way for some people to cope with their reality, at least at first. It may be what they need in order to get up in the morning and keep living life, such as it is.

At some point it will likely become clear even to the patient that they're not getting better, and they may make peace with it, but I don't think the process should be rushed or dictated from the outside. If there are decisions that need to be made or actions to be taken, I think it's okay to approach the person with them as a hypothetical, "worst-case basis" scenario, in order to induce them to make decisions and take action. But hitting them between the eyes with a truth they're not prepared to hear - I don't think that's necessary or helpful.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
For someone who doesn't have the ability or courage to ask, it might be a relief to know the truth. I certainly think this truth should be told gently and with compassion.

I suspect relatives do not tell, because they fear coping with strong emotions of the patient and themselves.

But if someone has dementia, why would you tell? Every case is unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving