Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times

Advertisements

Someone I know (who shall remain nameless, 79 years old) needs to be in a nursing home, but not because of physically being unable to care for herself, but mentally....she has terrible anxiety issues (has all her life, but worse now that husband is dead) and works herself up by worrying into such a mental state that she just cannot function enough to take care of herself.

What kind of facilities are available for people in this situation? She would need psychiatric care in addition to physical, and it seems that she would not receive that at a regular nursing home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
There are facilities for the elderly that provide psychiatric care/dementia care/mental health care. But I would personally recommend one only in a worst-case scenario. My mom was temporarily placed in such a facility (she had mild dementia but would go completely off her rocker whenever she'd get a UTI) through medical error. What I saw in that particular facility just about curled my eyebrows. Although my mom was treated well for the most part and an alert nurse finally diagnosed the UTI and helped me get mom released home to me, the other patients...oh, wow, they were extremely troubled to say the least. I mean, imagine being put in a mental hospital...because that's what it is.

There must be wonderful facilities for the mentally ill elderly but, imo, an intensive search should be made for the right facility for her. They are difficult to find, and when found, their state records should be closely checked for deficiencies.

Start with her doctor, relatives, or even the State. Even so, bear in mind that a person cannot be confined to any facility against their will unless they are declared legally incompetent. If you can encourage her to go to one even temporarily, good. If not, it might take a lot of work to get her help or even committed.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM

323 posts, read 499,362 times
Have you taken her to a doctor? Simple anxiety attacks might be helped with a medicine.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
She goes regularly to the doctor and is already on Xanax (takes it every day). She has tried every anti-depressant known to man and always stops taking them for some "worrisome" reason or another (she reads about the possible side effects and worries about them, or she takes them for about a week and says they're not helping, etc., even though we've told her over and over that it can take a month or more for them to start working).

She has fretted herself into a weak physical state and really needs a stint in a nursing home rehab unit for some physical therapy but would also need some type of psychiatric care, I think, if nothing more than someone to talk to about her worries and fears....someone who has the training to help her deal with them constructively. Otherwise, she would still worry herself to death about being in the nursing home, afraid she won't be able to go back home, or any of about a thousand more things she would think up to worry about.

She won't listen to us when we try to tell her that 99% of her fears are groundless. It's really a pity, because she has a cozy, comfy, paid-for home, enough money coming in to take care of herself, etc. She literally is just worrying herself to death.

I hear what you're saying about the facilities being awful and hard to find a good one....that's what I'm afraid of also. I also know we can't force her to go by law, but what is going to happen is that she is going to either fall and really hurt herself or she's going to just have a "nervous breakdown" and then the hospital will have to send her somewhere, possibly not of our choosing. And then she may never get well enough to come home again.

And then, believe it or not, the "authorities" will probably be saying, "why was this woman neglected?" This happened to a friend of mine with her daddy when he died after absolutely refusing any help from her (even just groceries!), wouldn't go to the doctor, lived in squalor, and died like that. She couldn't legally do a thing about it, and then when he died the "authorities" were like, "why was this allowed to go on?"

Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
She goes regularly to the doctor and is already on Xanax (takes it every day).
Sometimes the meds make the problems worse. She may benefit from a different doctor and weekly counseling, along with a change in diet if she is eating a lot of highly processed foods with HFCS and/or MSG.

Just some things to consider.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Yes there are many facilities available but I'm unable to help you because you only allow friends to know where your from, so search the internet in your state !!!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
...She won't listen to us when we try to tell her that 99% of her fears are groundless. It's really a pity, because she has a cozy, comfy, paid-for home, enough money coming in to take care of herself, etc. She literally is just worrying herself to death.

More likely to be "can't" than "won't".

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Nursing Home is a generic old school term. Actually "nursing home" implies Skilled Nursing Care" when someone has a stroke or at the end of life or something and needs medical support outside of 5 activites of daily life which is what is evaluated for going to an Assisted Living Facility. ALF. Then there's Memory Care - the last stop for memory disorders and usually in lockdown and very severe needs. Normally you want to keep them out of there until the last possible moment.

She may actually be HAPPIER in Assisted Living because there is a sense of community, routine and trust. My client lives in an excellent community with a nurse on duty 24/7 who administers the meds round the clock, and two professional CNAs on duty.

They get to know the people and have skills and techniques to assuage their anxiety and chart everything for the doctors which the client has to go outside for - none on staff. They provide transport and someone to accompany them as needed for a fee.

These things are NOT unusual for the staff. In fact she sounds very like my client who has a dual diagnosis of Anxiety and Dementia.

And the residents all vary from very sharp mentally or physical problems or temporary rehab or permanent living or various levels of dementia etc. For example. someone moved in because she developed slow moving blindness and she's the one we all go to for her social skills with "new" people or whatever. Sharp as a tack and never forgets a name. The most ACTIVE resident is 100 years old. There are activities and even cocktail hour before dinner even serving fake wine if necessary. Some are small like 22 beds some are larger it varies.

IF she can afford it, it's a great option and will fill the void of her husband somewhat.

STOP telling her her fears are groundless. They are NOT. She is anxious which makes her fearful and that's the end of the story. You may have better luck with asking gentle questions that lead her to a calm but it will be short lived, IMO.

LISTEN MORE, speak less, IMO. You're ramping her up arguing with her. Redirect her and respect that she has nothing to occupy her mind now.

She needs a PROFESSIONAL PSYCHIATRIC evaluation, DIAGNOSIS, and treatment not some PCP throwing Xanax at her. She may have a certain FIXATION that goes with dementia and you have no idea and there are meds for that. Or techniques. But being FIXATED on MEDS is interesting.

I also suggest you buy Contented Dementia available on Amazon, to learn how to speak with her and facilitate things, even if you think she doesn't have dementia.

ALSO DRINKING ENOUGH WATER AND STAYING HYDRATED IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO.

Dehydration is super common (often leading to a UTI) and makes the mind function poorly including appearing delusional, fearful, confused or combative or FALLING etc. Also can cause physical pain which the person cannot convey. A dog walker I know got dehydrated one day and her legs froze up and she was on the ground in several types of pain and she's very ACTIVE (duh, dog walker)

USUALLY when they are ANXIOUS with dehydration or a UTI it's because the brain is "telling them" they're unstable and then they FALL. My client can always predict her UTI even though she doesn't know she'd doing it because she gets fearful "I may need someone here tonight because I feel like I'm going to fall" and she NEVER WANTS ANYONE there normally, she's very "loner". Then they come and she gets mad LOL.

When she's "normal" she walks hunched over (for no reason) and when she's got a UTI and get rowdy she walks perfectly straight and strong then falls...she also walks perfectly straight all the way up the hall to the kitchen when nobody will bring her a COKE - on a MISSION! LOL

My client never falls unless she has a UTI and it's like CLOCKWORK. And while she's often "difficult", she never gets a certain type of "mean" unless it's a UTI - clockwork.

No coffee, tea, soda just WATER if possible.

Obviously someone with life long psychiatric issues is going to be more challenging in senior years and YES after a LOSS the conditions escalate in fact, that's usually when there's a crisis.

If she can't afford an ALF then bring in a PROFESSIONAL caregiver especially to administer her meds and stay out of it when she's there. Too many people in the room and all talking causes more anxiety and confusion.

Let them build a trust relationship if you can find someone capable and if you can get her to somehow accept it. Like it's a "friend" stopping by. Preferably someone older. Easier said than done, though. Sometimes you have to involve the "order" from "the doctor" for them to agree to it. It's not a LIE per se if you are involving her doctor. So many people make mistakes because they refuse to "lie" when the patient is LYING THEMSELVES LOL. All you're REALLY doing is joining her in her [lying] reality which is actually in her best interest and letting go of your OWN ego.

"My husband is picking me up and I'm going home". ANSWER: "OK I'll look for him and send him down to your room."

Do YOU LIVE THERE? Is she doing her HYGIENE with no problems? Just for starters? Cooking without problems? Able to work the TV remote etc? Does she know who the President is?

She may not be "cooking" because she can't operate the fridge, or stove or whatnot. They are very good at HIDING those things with DEMENTIA.

She needs a diagnosis.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-01-2014 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving