Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM

185 posts, read 245,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
He is correct. He now has a few more days of life but the life he has most people would not want.
Hi DeCalf

The option in Oregon for the terminally ill only and must be approved & qualify by a board overseeing the right to die option and for docs to help their patients .

It's a personal choice for sure and controversial. I don't know what I would do if I had the same fate as the women who moved to Oregon. Ill pass on judgement until I walk a mile in her shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I dont' get all the doom and gloom. People can live a looong time on dialysis, decades.

The guy is going through a severe health challenge and lifestyle change right now, but give the dude time to process it all.

It's about attitude. Is anyone telling him "you can beat this thing!"
His family should be saying "this is just a bump in the road, buddy. Learn what you have to do and get back to living."
"We need you around...so wallow for a week or so...but then snap out of it! And I'mm be around to kick you in the butt myself."
Dialysis is not a death sentence.

Granted if he doesn''t take care of himself better than he has been his quality of life will suffer....but dude, there's a LOT living he can do.
Life is short enough as it is....what's he going to do? give up and die? which I don't get the feeling he REALLY WANTS to do.

Sounds like he's just depressed right now.
Come on OP -- is there some kind of goal you can give him -- like the two of you, or three or four family guys going on a trip (golf/fishing) or something?

He's got to have a reason to want to get better!

Last edited by rdflk; 10-13-2014 at 06:06 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,639 times
My mother's oldest sister was on dialysis for quite awhile.
She was told that they needed to amputate her legs, as they were developing gangrene.
She told them she would rather die.
She stopped dialysis, and stayed at home waiting.
I attended her funeral last year.
Making a decision like this is a very personal one.
It's hard to put yourself in their position.
Loss of energy, pain, and constant dialysis treatment, can really affect your will to fight and keep living.
If you have something to live for, then it's worth fighting for.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know a guy who was having on and off health problems for almost a year before he was finally dragged to the hospital by his wife. He was afraid of the the hospital, doctors, needles and facing what he thought was wrong with him. He thought he had congestive heart failure but it turned out that his kidneys were shutting down. The nurse told him if he hadn't come to the hospital that evening he wouldn't have woken up the next morning. He spent a week in the hospital getting healthy enough to be discharged but now he faces dialysis 3 times a week and a complete change to everything in his life.
It has been 5 weeks now since he was told the bad news that his kidneys have shut down and I think what he is facing for the rest of his life is now hitting him.
He actually said the other day that he wishes he hadn't gone to the hospital and he had died.
How do you respond to that?

I'd like to say to him that he shouldn't have abused himself for decades and he should have bucked up and gone to the Doctors 6-8 months ago before things really took a bad turn but that would be like kicking him when he is down.
Speaking for myself, I understand his point of view. At least if he had died, he wouldn't be suffering, his family wouldn't be having to take care of him, etc.

I also would have wished to die. At least then my life insurance would have gone to my husband and taken care of him instead of the other way around. Now all I would have left is nothing and no way to die now without it being ruled suicide, and my husband wouldn't get my life insurance.

I don't know what to tell you to say to him, other than nothing.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
He actually said the other day that he wishes he hadn't gone to the hospital and he had died.
How do you respond to that?

I'd like to say to him that he shouldn't have abused himself for decades and he should have bucked up and gone to the Doctors 6-8 months ago before things really took a bad turn but that would be like kicking him when he is down.
Compassion always takes a lot of effort, and there's always the temptation to skip that exercise and say: You knew the dangers of your lifestyle all along, why didn't you think of that long ago?

We're all gamblers at heart, from day one! Every time we insert the key into the ignition of our car, back out of your driveways, to go anywhere, we're gambling that, along the way, someone doesn't run a red light, we're not hit head-on by a drunk diver or someone having a medical episode.

And if you're unlucky enough to be in a car crash and end up a quadriplegic, what are you going to say? "You knew the dangers of driving a car..............."

This poor man needs compassion, lots of it!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:03 PM

49 posts, read 61,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Do not judge decisions made by others. Even if you have been in similar circumstances, you never know the what the other person is going through.
I second this.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Speaking for myself, I understand his point of view. At least if he had died, he wouldn't be suffering, his family wouldn't be having to take care of him, etc.

I also would have wished to die. At least then my life insurance would have gone to my husband and taken care of him instead of the other way around. Now all I would have left is nothing and no way to die now without it being ruled suicide, and my husband wouldn't get my life insurance.

I don't know what to tell you to say to him, other than nothing.
There's a waiting period of a year or two, then the money would be his.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's a waiting period of a year or two, then the money would be his.
Perhaps it's the way you wrote this so it's not what you meant but to make it absolutely clear, insurance policies typically do not pay on a suicide unless the policy has been in effect for at least two years.
The reason for this exclusion is pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving