U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 08:51 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times

Advertisements

I had a chance to visit my dad and am just so saddened by his life. He was put in a nursing home six years ago when he was at the 'end of hid life'. Six years later, he is still there. Has no quality of life. His mind isn't fully there, he is as still as a statue. It breaks my heart it has been six years for him. My heart breaks every time I leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,601,974 times
We understand. It is like a loss every time.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,231,024 times
Default I Truly Understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I had a chance to visit my dad and am just so saddened by his life. He was put in a nursing home six years ago when he was at the 'end of hid life'. Six years later, he is still there. Has no quality of life. His mind isn't fully there, he is as still as a statue. It breaks my heart it has been six years for him. My heart breaks every time I leave.
Veuvegirl, I am so sorry for your situation. I understand exactly what you are feeling. My mother, my husband and I took care of my father at home as long as we possibly could until his Alzheimer's Disease and complete lack of mobility became too much for us to handle. We had to place him in a nursing home, and it was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my entire life. It took a toll on the whole family.

Although Dad only lived about a year in the nursing home, everytime we went there to see him (I was there almost daily.) it was gut-wrenching. He was incontinent, unable to walk or feed himself, and his mind wasn't fully there either. I don't know how many times I left the place with tears in my eyes and had to sit in the car crying them out before I could drive home. It was the same for my mom and husband. Our family hasn't been the same since.

Please know that I am thinking of you at this time. I hope you can soon find some peace in your life. (My dad died in 2012. I am still awaiting peace.)

Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
Thanks all. It just saddens me that so many people have to live like this. To see my father a once strong vibrant man not able to do a thing for himself is heart breaking. He has been given last rights three times, and somehow bounced back.

He did recognize me, which was amazing. His eyes light up and a big smile came on his face. Just a long a torturous journey for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or