Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,392,296 times

Advertisements

Not sure which forum.......

My elderly Mom is interested in getting a portable oxygen concentrator because the smallest tank medicare will pay for is too heavy for her.

She has COPD

All I have seen/heard so far is Inogen

Greatly appreciate some feedback from those who have used ones pros, cons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
When it comes to Medicare, Inogen is the easiest solution because they provide the home unit which authorizes the payment and then they include the portable.

If the smallest tank is too heavy, the portables might be too because the batteries aren't all that lightweight.If on a longer outing and/or setting is higher, we used to take 2 batteries which obviously means heavier.
Inogen provides a cart but that can be done with tanks.

IIRC, the smallest tank is the M2 and only weights under 2 lbs.....most commonly used small tank is the B (M6) at a little over 2 lbs and it's almost 5 lbs for the Inogen. Those weights don't include the regulator, of course, so that's a little more.

What she wants or needs depends, also, on how long it has to last and what setting she uses when mobile.

(We did return the Inogen, BTW. It just wasn't satisfactory enough for my husband)

Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
When it comes to Medicare, Inogen is the easiest solution because they provide the home unit which authorizes the payment and then they include the portable.

If the smallest tank is too heavy, the portables might be too because the batteries aren't all that lightweight.If on a longer outing and/or setting is higher, we used to take 2 batteries which obviously means heavier.
Inogen provides a cart but that can be done with tanks.

IIRC, the smallest tank is the M2 and only weights under 2 lbs.....most commonly used small tank is the B (M6) at a little over 2 lbs and it's almost 5 lbs for the Inogen. Those weights don't include the regulator, of course, so that's a little more.

What she wants or needs depends, also, on how long it has to last and what setting she uses when mobile.

(We did return the Inogen, BTW. It just wasn't satisfactory enough for my husband)
Thanks I am going to talk with her today. After I posted I figures since they are expensive if she wants we can start with a rental.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 AM

301 posts, read 293,529 times
Before I could reply, you need to list thet specifics of what you need. Questions like:

- How many liters of O2/Hr does she need?

- Does she need continuous flow or will on-demand work (The difference is that continuous flow constantly blows air out of the tank while on-demand is exactly that. It only provides a quick "puff'' of air once it senses that you are inhaling. Some people need one or the other. I use the on-demand during the day but a Constant delivery system at night with my CPAP.

I can tell you I love my portable Inogen. I went with the larger version. While heavier, it lasts longer and can provide more air when I need it.

It came with a handle to carry, a shoulder strap, and a roller assembly - much like very small rolling suitcase you would use at an airline. I've never had a problem with it, and I can no longer lift much anymore.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about my experience and issues.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks I need to go to her appt. with her pulmonologist there because I am not sure of her specific needs and either is she which is a bit scary.

I got excited for her when I saw an ad for 30 day trial for Inogen One a few day ago, but with her occasional balance/coordination issues I want to insure that whatever credit card we put the trial one is one that hopefully has accidental breakage because because that could be one expensive trial if it gets "banged up"

Old 04-13-2015, 07:36 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Ours was prescribed by the physician and the local company came to our house to set it up. It is paid for by medicare if a physician orders it.

They gave us 10 little tanks and a home unit for constant flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving