Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Or, possibly, the "helpless patient" who is in a care facility who DOESN'T want to die.
There's a rather large difference between requesting someone's assistance to accomplish your wish and being murdered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
We already HAVE the right to die.....anytime you want. Just don't figure someone else should do the dirty work for you...especially someone whose taken an OATH to preserve life.
The oath contains the phrase "But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty", I don't find an unqualified "to preserve life" in the text I find.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Isn't it against the law for the family to "take care of things themselves?"
Heck no....

Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The oath contains the phrase "But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty", I don't find an unqualified "to preserve life" in the text I find.
wow, and I don't find the words you've said in there at all.
What's yours from.... a "modern" version, no doubt made to allow doctors to kill???

Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think the heart of the problem is seeing it as "dirty work."
When strangers take over...it is.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
As for suicide, my big fear is that I will forget.
Don't worry about it....soon as you're in a home.... they won't

Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
(re: "dirty work") When strangers take over...it is.
Voluntarily ending your life under the circumstances of which we are speaking, with the support and help of family and friends - including a doctor as far as I am concerned, is far from having "strangers take over."

I think the point for many people, myself among them, is that I do not want any strangers taking over my life and prolonging it for their own uses and purposes. That - most emphatically for me - is the real "dirty work," having your life end in prolonged violation, like an extended rape.

And for a society that crows about its material and technological triumphs, it is a savage irony that we have created a culture in which the terminally ill and the aged have become an industrial complex of expiring cash cows hidden away and milked until every last coin has been squeezed out of their wretched carcasses. And then we "celebrate" their lives in feel-good memorial services designed to erase the filthy final debacle of their lives from our consciences.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
wow, and I don't find the words you've said in there at all.
What's yours from.... a "modern" version, no doubt made to allow doctors to kill???
Despite the hyperbole a modern version IS NOT made to "allow doctors to kill" as you allege, it merely acknowledges the advances made in medicine since the early days and the far greater power doctors today wield, sometimes not all that wisely or humanely.

And I've never seen a version of the oath that has its takers vowing to prolong and maintain a poor quality of life, have you?

Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
If you don't want to be put out of your misery, fine with me. But don't insist that the rest of us have to suffer just because you think it's proper that we do.

If the human race ever becomes civilized, and we're faced with being bedridden for the rest of our lives, we'll have another option - lethal injection. That should be my personal choice, not a choice society has made for me. Let's show the respect and compassion to humans that we presently show only to our pets.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM

yeh...a modern version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving