Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had put the documentary in the Netflix queue, but I removed it, I didn't have the heart to see Glen Campbell battling Alzheimer's, that's an awful disease and I selfishly want to remember him at his prime back in the 70's.
I thought it was a great documentary. Yes, a bit sad, but also very touching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She can't win, can she? Having him in a facility is not good enough. Having him at home is not good enough. I guess she has some nerve being younger than him, and thus is quite the floozy.

Maybe you should get all the facts before commenting. The problem started with his adult children not knowing he was taken out of his home and placed in the NH until after the fact. It was at that point he was brought back to his compound and placed in a separate building.

Look I have like Glen Campbell since I was a kid, but he did go with a much younger woman the last time. She herself said she can't handle seeing him like this, well you know what? Neither can many other husbands, wives, adult children, siblings dealing with Alzheimers, but they deal with it. And they deal with it without these resources. They can afford to have top notch care around the clock, she doesn't have to do anything. But still wanted him out of sight.

IMO, she was a trophy wife, now things have changed and she wants him out of the way.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
It goes both ways. The kids tried to gain custody of their dad so they could effectively control the estate by being granted both HPOA and POA. She brought him back from the nursing home soon after.

A lot of people have in the past stripped their parents' estate and dumped them onto Medicaid. The five-year look-back period is relatively new. My neighbor placed his parents' home into a trust. They both died fairly soon after (12 months) after going into a nursing facility.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I don't see any reason to think his wife has done anything but love and care for him. She brought him back home to try again, but was unable to take care of him and has moved him to a full-time memory care facility.
I don't see how anyone can fault her for one single thing. I think she's done a great job taking care of him.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe you should get all the facts before commenting. The problem started with his adult children not knowing he was taken out of his home and placed in the NH until after the fact. It was at that point he was brought back to his compound and placed in a separate building.

Look I have like Glen Campbell since I was a kid, but he did go with a much younger woman the last time. She herself said she can't handle seeing him like this, well you know what? Neither can many other husbands, wives, adult children, siblings dealing with Alzheimers, but they deal with it. And they deal with it without these resources. They can afford to have top notch care around the clock, she doesn't have to do anything. But still wanted him out of sight.

IMO, she was a trophy wife, now things have changed and she wants him out of the way.
You are not privy to all of the facts, yet you are commenting and you have an opinion.

A spouse is not required to consult adult children for their opinions before making a decision regarding care. The adult children may not approve, but that doesn't mean it is a problem.

He chose her when he was of sound mind, did he not?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't see any reason to think his wife has done anything but love and care for him. She brought him back home to try again, but was unable to take care of him and has moved him to a full-time memory care facility.
I don't see how anyone can fault her for one single thing. I think she's done a great job taking care of him.

The people who are paid to take care of him are doing a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You are not privy to all of the facts, yet you are commenting and you have an opinion.

A spouse is not required to consult adult children for their opinions before making a decision regarding care. The adult children may not approve, but that doesn't mean it is a problem.

He chose her when he was of sound mind, did he not?

When a family has a crisis, it should be a family decision.

If there were no wife and one adult child took it upon his/herself to place the parent in a NH without discussing this with their siblings that would be wrong.

She was wrong to do that.

This isn't the only celebrity marriage with issues like this, Barbara Marx tried to exclude the Sinatra children(who were all close to their dad) when he got ill.

Yes, he did choose her. I believe I addressed that in my post.

When a much older man(or woman) who is very wealthy marries someone much younger, they don't always think of years down the road. Sometimes they just don't think period.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:30 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
The people who are paid to take care of him are doing a great job.
Such nonsense. She took care of him after he was diagnosed, until he became so disabled that he needed an Alzheimer's facility. They got married in 1982. That's 22 years. Hardly a trophy wife thing.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
We don't really know the motives involved with the newest wife. But sounds like she did a lot of the right things. I'm in a situation where there are other adult children. These adult children have no caring attitudes toward DH for no good reason. If I were in the same situation as GC's wife, I wouldn't consult any of those other people for opinions on how to care for DH should the need arise. We don't know really what the family dynamics are.

In the same situation, if I was concerned that my parent didn't have enough toiletries, I'd ask the nursing staff and I'd bring what I felt he needed myself instead of just criticizing the wife. How does that help him?

I'd be just willing to bet that most of this is about controlling the money, or protecting it from greedy grabbers. Lots of people just tend to be awful when there's too much money to fight over.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Such nonsense. She took care of him after he was diagnosed, until he became so disabled that he needed an Alzheimer's facility. They got married in 1982. That's 22 years. Hardly a trophy wife thing.
Not quite, they had paid staff taking care of him at the house before he was moved to the facility.

Look, they can well afford it, but let's not pretend she was doing hands on care like so many caregivers do, because she wasn't.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Quote:
Not quite, they had paid staff taking care of him at the house before he was moved to the facility.

Look, they can well afford it, but let's not pretend she was doing hands on care like so many caregivers do, because she wasn't.
I've got to say - I would imagine that 99% of people that can afford to have "paid" staff taking care of their loved one, would do that.

If we had considerably more money, I'd happily have someone come in every evening (in addition to the morning aide we already have) so that every evening after work, I didn't *HAVE* to assist my dad. Then I could it it when I wanted to, instead of not having an option. Then I could be slightly more my dad's daughter, and slightly less my dad's caretaker.

Especially extremely distasteful jobs, (yes, most of those involve hygeine) - I'd hire out in a heartbeat if we had unlimited funds.

It wouldn't mean I loved dad any less, or cared any less about his well being -- it would just mean that money made dealing with those things easier..

as money usually makes most things easier.

Most hands on caregivers (especially children, but also including spouses) are not hands-on caregivers ONLY because of their overwhelming love of their loved-ones. Most are also seeking to make limited funds last longer, or in some cases, make no-funds work.

I think there's a lot going on with the Campbell case - and most of it is going to come down to anger between children of a first marriage, and a seond wife - and ultimately control of an estate.

Look at the Robin Williams disaster ... same thing. It seems that often children of a divorced couple really don't like the new spouses, and when money is involved ... it just makes it that much more rancorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving