U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:00 AM

348 posts, read 296,500 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My friend's grandfather is elderly and has dementia. He is basically bedridden, practically blind, and hard of hearing at this point. He does nothing but shout for help every few minutes. Oh, and poop all over himself, then smear it everywhere. Ew. He does on occasion stubbornly try to get out of bed. The times he has, he has fallen and hurt himself.
My friend's mom basically retired early to stay at home and care for him, and my friend has basically given up his life as well to stay at home and help her out.

So my question here is are there any caregiver options that give the current family caregivers back their lives? I feel terrible for them. I'm sure there's more to it, but I've been told that nobody in their home state of Texas will take him because of his dementia and that he requires 24/7 care.

-T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM

3,758 posts, read 10,611,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Hey all,

My friend's grandfather is elderly and has dementia. He is basically bedridden, practically blind, and hard of hearing at this point. He does nothing but shout for help every few minutes. Oh, and poop all over himself, then smear it everywhere. Ew. He does on occasion stubbornly try to get out of bed. The times he has, he has fallen and hurt himself.
My friend's mom basically retired early to stay at home and care for him, and my friend has basically given up his life as well to stay at home and help her out.

So my question here is are there any caregiver options that give the current family caregivers back their lives? I feel terrible for them. I'm sure there's more to it, but I've been told that nobody in their home state of Texas will take him because of his dementia and that he requires 24/7 care.

-T.

As for everyone there are two options (or a hybrid between the two) - an institution (nursing home, memory care, etc..) or family.

The issue is, if you're trying to get help outside the family - how is it paid for?

Some people have long term care insurance, though that only became popular somewhat recently, so someone in their 80's might not have that.

Medicare (most people who worked will qualify for medicare) pays for only very few services.

Medicaid (medical assistance for those with very limited financial means) will pay for institutional care (nursing home) if the patient qulifies for it.

Private pay - the family pays for the expenses of an aide or the institution out of their own pockets (can cost upwards of $6K a month)

Volunteer/charitable organizations - sometimes their may be charitable services tha will provide some limited help, but it will depend on what is available in your area.

Veteran's services (aid and attendance, etc..) - if the patient was a veteran in a time of war, they may qualify for aid and attendace which my offer some financial support towards the veteran's care.

In your friend's family's situation - it depends on what they've tried, what they want, and what he wants... Have they applied for Medicaid for the grandfather? Is he a veteran? (entitled to veteran's benefits)..?

Certainly a lot for your friend's family to contend with.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM

7,956 posts, read 7,264,125 times
Quote:
Hey all,

-T.
He would have to have insurance, such as Medicaid or long-term care insurance, to be accepted into a nursing home. When you go to the admissions office, an packet is provided where you identify your means of paying for the stay at the facility. Besides the above insurance, you have to list income and assets that would be available.

It sounds like they need to visit a memory care facility or a nursing home with an Alzheimer's wing. The facilities may or may not have space available.

The other choice is to hire an aide to assist with the care. The family would probably have to provide the funds for the paid help.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM

6,106 posts, read 9,040,228 times
Contact a geriatric case manager who will come and do an eval and then recommend suitable placement or services for the man. Google Texas geriatric case manager and see what comes up.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 PM

348 posts, read 296,500 times
Thanks for the info. No idea on a lot of this - never heard of a geriatric case manager before. I google'd it and found a site with a lot of info, as well as a search:
"There are currently no providers that match your search criteria. Please try another nearby city."
Awww man.

Do memory care facilities take people who are bedridden and incapable of self care like that?

-T.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:49 PM

44,511 posts, read 35,964,225 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. No idea on a lot of this - never heard of a geriatric case manager before. I google'd it and found a site with a lot of info, as well as a search:
"There are currently no providers that match your search criteria. Please try another nearby city."
Awww man.

Do memory care facilities take people who are bedridden and incapable of self care like that?

-T.
Many of them do - for instance, my own MIL is incontinent and practically bedridden, though they do get her up and into her wheelchair for most of the day. She is in a memory care center. There is absolutely no way we could take care of her at home.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM

21,664 posts, read 14,246,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Contact a geriatric case manager who will come and do an eval and then recommend suitable placement or services for the man. Google Texas geriatric case manager and see what comes up.
This.

Call the local dept. of aging and ask for help with this. They can probably refer you or help you directly.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:45 PM

21,664 posts, read 14,246,072 times
Quote:
Awww man.

-T.
He might be better off in an LTC, Long Term Care Facility. That's why you need a professional to evaluate this situation. It doesn't sound as if the family can cope with the level of care this older man needs.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,611,847 times
I believe most memory care facilities are LTC - but they specialize in "memory" issues (i.e a polite way of saying dementia).

I've never heard of a short term residential memory care?

As far as what Memory Care specializes in - they're essentially specialized nursing homes for dementia patients. They have more emphasis on prohibiting wandering, helping patients through the anxieties that memory issues can cause. Or at least the good ones do.

So they can handle pretty much everything a normal nursing home can - incontinence, mobility issues, etc. but also with an emphasis on dealing with the neurological issues caused by the dementia.

Also - for whatever reason "nursing homes" has been replaced by the politically correct "Long Term Care". They're the same thing. Also can be known as "rehab center" ... (most rehab centers are nursing homes that can take either short term "rehab" or long term patients)

Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 7,264,125 times
I don't know if your friend is also in the Austin, Texas area, but here's the site for the agency.

CAPCOG Area Agency on Aging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or