Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I was reading on the state website and they are going forward in expanding foster care for adults with developmental disabilities. It took a long time to get away from that where the adults were living in residential settings with people like themselves, more or less, giving them the feel of being grown up rather than finding a new family to live with.

These living situations are being called at least 3 names by the state: foster care, host home, and shared living. These "homes" are with private individuals that contract with yet another contractor that has a contract with the state so the state does a fairly job of distancing themselves from what is happening.

I guess this must be a cost savings for the state. There is just SO much abuse anyway. My concern is when in this family home, there isn't any change in staff that might notice something that needs to be noticed and so many look forward to moving into an apartment with people they know and have similar interests with. Oh, they will say there will be a choice but from what I have seen, they put that in print and it goes no further.

Is anyone seeing this where they live? In KS, for those that are lower functioning "choice" does not exist. They do what they can get away with and also someone has to do is say "save money" and they are after it!

I am also interested in other areas where the services at least give the adult with developmental disability respect.

Info appreciated. We are nearing retirement so have plans to make for the future. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
There is a few of these agencies here in Sacramento. California Mentor and I believe the other is called Enriching Lives.

How it works is they pay you half of what a Care home would get. And expect each Client to have their own bedroom. I do not know if they get County IHSS, that makes a huge difference in your monthly stipend.
It ranges from $1500-$2000 per month per adult. They live in your home, you act as their guardian. They call it many things, mentoring, mirroring, a pal or whatever. But of course, you are essentially acting as their family. And since years back I have experience working with adults with developmental disabilities, most prefer a family. Not that they cannot thrive in a group home...but yes, it is about money. You are not paid much $$ BUT again, check to see if that person receives IHSS Services and if so, you;d be paid at least minimum wage for 15-20 hours (my estimate) per week being their IHSS Worker. Because they are not considered family, it is likely to be considered wages with IRS. It is possible if you do spend 50% or more on your person that you could also qualify for the Earned INcome Tax Credit but again, only if you have a job. This stipend is considered money for that person. And of course even in the best sinereo, this is not a circumstance that pays well at all. So you'd really have to like the person you accept into your home or otherwise, you can find a job working with them which at least pays minimum wage if you think living with them is a bit too much.

We are self employed but I work a side job once a week staying with a developmentally disabled adult in her home, a 20 hr shift overnight. 2pm-9am the next morning. It pays about $10.40 per hr averaged out.
I sleep a little over 8 hrs of that time so we are paid to sleep. I really enjoy it.

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to answer them. Years ago we were also foster parents for a few years, pay was awful but we didn't do it for that. Not to developmentally disabled kids though but the programs are a little similar. You are licensed as a Foster Parent, with the programs in Sacramento, you are certified as there is less tape that way.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
In Oregon they usually have social workers who check up on them. As a home health nurse I was in quite a few of them and the people were cared for quite well. Most of the homes were pleasant but not fancy due to taking a beating from wheel chairs, incontinence, etc. But they all had yards and patios,and many had nice gardens. They ate together at a dining table and had to follow nutritional guidelines. Families were allowed to visit. Most had 3-4 handicapped residents who were able to dress and feed themselves and only required one caregiver at a time.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Thanks, I appreciate the information. In Kansas, we are going through so many changes. I currently do the supportive home care for my son and the rules have changed and morphed so many times in the last couple of years. It is all SO complicated.

Any kind of foster care is great IF the family/individual doing it is great. I known a couple of people who did foster care for children and they were wonderful and caring. While my son was looking forward to being able to have an apartment with "friends", I do not think he would living in a house with another family. He would feel abandoned. He functions at the pre-school level and turns 29 next year.

I have a DIL that works at the VA hospital and also does home care part-time, she's hard worker.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving