U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2015, 09:53 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If your mother needs health care at home, she can take out a reverse mortgage. If she need funds to go into a nursing home, she can sell her house.

I am still paying a mortgage - and I have three adult children who are perfectly capable of providing for themselves. They won't be inheriting a paid off house.

So you want the rest of us to pay for your mother's care so you can inherit her house. Got it.

If you are "poor" government will pay your nursing home bill and if you can go home they will pay your rent, home care nursing assistance, food, home modifications to make the home safe, even furniture. If you are even $1 above the limit you either stay in a nursing home or your kids pay for it. What middle class family can pay for home nursing care without causing major financial strain on their own family?

She always worked, paid taxes and never took a damn dime of welfare. They get her home who cares. We submitted for 16 - 20 hours of home care assistance and we would do the rest. But because she was denied the little we asked for we'll keep her in the nursing home instead costing you the tax payer over $8k a month.

The purpose of the Nursing home transition program is to bring people home to save the tax payer money but if you are even $1 above the limit you have a choice, stay in the nursing home, in her case costing the tax payer $8k or go home the family (kids) must pay all the cost to get help. If you are middle class can you afford to pay those cost and give all the time needed?

Last edited by petch751; 09-07-2015 at 10:20 PM..

 
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If your mother needs health care at home, she can take out a reverse mortgage. If she need funds to go into a nursing home, she can sell her house.

I am still paying a mortgage - and I have three adult children who are perfectly capable of providing for themselves. They won't be inheriting a paid off house.

So you want the rest of us to pay for your mother's care so you can inherit her house. Got it.
So where is all that help they promise if we vote for them? Oh that's right, she worked, she paid her taxes, she didn't know the "how to get free stuff system" and now that she is poor and can not work they say no.

Do you really know how medicare works? I think you (and your kids) are in for a real big expensive surprise. I truly hope you find yourself in our position.
 
Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,362,394 times
Reputation: 6964
I grew up middle class, although my parents struggled for many years to get there. My parents worked hard their entire lives, and saved, always fearful for a rainy day. Unfortunately my mother died too soon of cancer and couldn't enjoy the retirement she worked hard for. And my father got hit by a car and is now paralyzed with a spinal cord injury and many terrible medical problems. Thank goodness my parents saved. Now, it is pouring.....

When my mother passed, we worked with an accountant for the first time to help with taxes etc.... After meeting my father, she recommended he see an Elder Care lawyer for "Medicaid planning". We didn't understand what this was, but she gently revealed it to be a way of "How to hide your money for your heirs" so that you can qualify for Medicaid without spending down your assets.

My father was quite surprised and looked at her and said.... "Well someone has to pay, right? It might as well be me....."

Right answer.
 
Old 09-07-2015, 10:23 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I grew up middle class, although my parents struggled for many years to get there. My parents worked hard their entire lives, and saved, always fearful for a rainy day. Unfortunately my mother died too soon of cancer and couldn't enjoy the retirement she worked hard for. And my father got hit by a car and is now paralyzed with a spinal cord injury and many terrible medical problems. Thank goodness my parents saved. Now, it is pouring.....

When my mother passed, we worked with an accountant for the first time to help with taxes etc.... After meeting my father, she recommended he see an Elder Care lawyer for "Medicaid planning". We didn't understand what this was, but she gently revealed it to be a way of "How to hide your money for your heirs" so that you can qualify for Medicaid without spending down your assets.

My father was quite surprised and looked at her and said.... "Well someone has to pay, right? It might as well be me....."

Right answer.
Obviously you didn't read my post.

My parents struggled to be middle class. My father passed when my mom was in her 40's. She worked before he passed and supported herself after he passed. She did not "hide the house" and didn't make enough to save. She did qualify for medicaid The government will take the house when she passes, it's called recovery. She doesn't make enough to pay for help at home but according to government she makes too much to get help to go home. Since she qualifies to get the nursing home bill paid (over $8k a month) but not a LITTLE help to go home which is much less costly she will stay in the nursing home which cost taxpayers more.

Yet someone who government deems as poor will get rent, nursing home care, home modifications, food, housekeeping, even drop ship diapers, so they can go home.... "to save government money".

Now does that make sense?

Knowing what I know now I would have encouraged her to "hide the house" so we could borrow against it to pay for help so we could bring her home. Once she passed sell it to pay it off.

Last edited by petch751; 09-07-2015 at 10:48 PM..
 
Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 PM
 
9,669 posts, read 15,817,520 times
Reputation: 16002
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So where is all that help they promise if we vote for them? Oh that's right, she worked, she paid her taxes, she didn't know the "how to get free stuff system" and now that she is poor and can not work they say no.

Do you really know how medicare works? I think you (and your kids) are in for a real big expensive surprise. I truly hope you find yourself in our position.



First, learn the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. They are NOT the same programs, just because they sound alike Look it up yourselves, I don't feel like typing up a tutorial no one would bother to read, anyways
 
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[/b]


First, learn the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. They are NOT the same programs, just because they sound alike Look it up yourselves, I don't feel like typing up a tutorial no one would bother to read, anyways
NO KIDDING!

Everyone should learn about Medicare and Medicaid long before they need it. AND the reason I said "MediCARE" is because a lot of people think that because they are middle class that medicare will pay for medical bills as long as they are needed. They don't know about the 100 day rule and staying out of the hospital for 60 days for medicare to restart benefits. So before you get too arrogant you should know what I am saying. Why not ask before pouncing?

By the way, a lot of people think only the poor get medicaid. WRONG! if you run out of mediCARE benefits you have a choice, self pay or you are forced to spend down and become poor before you can apply for mediCAID you better hope your income is below the limit. If you have assets like a home you sign it over for recovery after you pass. If you are poor and don't have anything the government pays your medical bills anyway.

Obviously I didn't need you to type your little fingers off to give a tutorial. <sarcasm>

Last edited by petch751; 09-08-2015 at 12:00 AM..
 
Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715
The poor who are lucky enough to inherit a house aren't off the hook either. They can lose the family home, in fact it's more likely because they are so busy thinking they got a free insurance and won't take the time to educate themselves on the details. The devil is in the details.

Obamacare and medicaid expansion states.... Obamacare herds the poor into Medicaid which requires them to forfeit homes and other assets they might have to the state to cover the cost of their medical care. I believe it is 55 yo.

obamacare-final-payment-raiding-assets-low-income-poor-americans

Last edited by petch751; 09-08-2015 at 12:06 AM..
 
Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,362,394 times
Reputation: 6964
What state are you in? Has your Mom looked into her local Department of Aging to check all resources she is eligible for? Have you looked into programs in your state to try to help folks avoid nursing homes? There is huge variability from state to state in these programs, but it is true that some states now realize it is cheaper to help keep folks out of Nursing Homes.

In our state, it is true that you have to be very poor to qualify for many home services. So it is a squeeze when you have some resources. You just have to spend them. Have you thought about selling the house and she could move into a small apartment or senior housing (if available)? Then you could spend some of that money on homecare for her.

But even though my father's income exceeds all of required low income levels, he still qualifies in his community for free rides, free meal delivery, free twice a month visits to help clean.

Have you met with an Elder Law attorney for advice? Or a good care manager? The can also be hard to find.

Good luck, and take a breath.
 
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 PM
 
39,186 posts, read 20,288,666 times
Reputation: 12715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
What state are you in? Has your Mom looked into her local Department of Aging to check all resources she is eligible for? Have you looked into programs in your state to try to help folks avoid nursing homes? There is huge variability from state to state in these programs, but it is true that some states now realize it is cheaper to help keep folks out of Nursing Homes.

In our state, it is true that you have to be very poor to qualify for many home services. So it is a squeeze when you have some resources. You just have to spend them. Have you thought about selling the house and she could move into a small apartment or senior housing (if available)? Then you could spend some of that money on homecare for her.

But even though my father's income exceeds all of required low income levels, he still qualifies in his community for free rides, free meal delivery, free twice a month visits to help clean.

Have you met with an Elder Law attorney for advice? Or a good care manager? The can also be hard to find.

Good luck, and take a breath.
PA. She needs supervision, high fall risk. Yes I've run into brick walls. That's why I say I'm sick of hearing a politician say they care about the poor, it's a farce. A 75 yo woman who can't work, who has no resources, living on ss and government says she makes too much. I went to an attorney at $250 only to be told that he would charge $12,000 to do the medicaid application which I had already done.

If she sells her house the government will come for recovery and the money from the sale of the house is gone. Then she will then have rent to pay too.

This is a 75 yo woman, anything can happen at any time. If she can borrow against the home she will be seen as having more money than she is allowed to have then she will be disqualified if she ends up going into the hospital / nursing home again. She will have to spend down, then she will have debt to pay. Medicaid takes all income minus $45 each month, she will default on the debt.

Even if that wasn't the case, home care is a fortune and she would go through the money in no time. Since she can not afford home care and she can't get help like "the poor" can it ends up costing the tax payer more. It's really twisted logic. I could see if she made thousand or more above but it's by dollars above the limit.

Illness is a guarantee and I learned if you are middle class learn about it and have a plan, keep your eyes on the income limits, and if working a couple more years puts you above it this could be you, reduce your expenses and retire earlier. I used to think that the house should be used for cases like medical needs in the elder years but now ...

Last edited by petch751; 09-08-2015 at 12:09 AM..
 
Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 AM
 
9,669 posts, read 15,817,520 times
Reputation: 16002
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
NO KIDDING!

Everyone should learn about Medicare and Medicaid long before they need it. AND the reason I said "MediCARE" is because a lot of people think that because they are middle class that medicare will pay for medical bills as long as they are needed. They don't know about the 100 day rule and staying out of the hospital for 60 days for medicare to restart benefits. So before you get too arrogant you should know what I am saying. Why not ask before pouncing?

By the way, a lot of people think only the poor get medicaid. WRONG! if you run out of mediCARE benefits you have a choice, self pay or you are forced to spend down and become poor before you can apply for mediCAID you better hope your income is below the limit. If you have assets like a home you sign it over for recovery after you pass. If you are poor and don't have anything the government pays your medical bills anyway.

Obviously I didn't need you to type your little fingers off to give a tutorial. <sarcasm>
The above remark wasn't directed at you, petch...I'm sure you know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. My remark was misplaced, it was directed at those in general who don't seem to know the difference. I used to be a telegreeter for a medical supply company. I'd ask if the caller was on Medicare, they didn't have a clue----yes, i's got da medicare, ok, you want da Medicaid number? Ok, here's da medicare number Most such callers were elderly, poor, uneducated, and trying to navigate a system the best of us struggle with. Honestly, I felt sorry for them, many actually had benefits they didn't know about. I tried to be nice, I kept thinking what if this were my grandmother? I'd explain the difference, but no matter how I tried, they just didn't get it, they thought Medicare and Medicaid were the same thing. Sometimes I would ask for the card with the red, white and blue colors on top, that's Medicare, but then sometimes their Medicaid card had the same colors. I had one man tell me its the card with the little birds on it

I was only allowed so many minutes per call, if I went over on one call I had to shorten the next call.

I've come to realize we all go sometime, I for one don't intend to spend the remaining 10 or so years of my life running from doctor to doctor, spending my life in waiting rooms, dealing with hateful office staff, then trying to beg my prescriptions from the drugstore, then use up the last of my brain cells trying to fill out the da**ed insurance forms! Especially the one with the little birds on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top