U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 AM

39,073 posts, read 20,168,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
ok, fine....

whatever....

there have been numerous real life scenarios posted in this thread, including mine and my mother's, and yet you just continue to rage against your perceived injustices.....
Obviously what worked for you isn't working for everyone.

The middle class is fed "the safety net" line all our lives yet the safety net is set up so only people who didn't contribute much if anything are insured. The middle class who PAID everyone's premium for the "safety net" insurance policy are the very people who are denied benefits if they "need" help. So Yes, it is an injustice.

Last edited by petch751; 09-22-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,709,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Or just live a healthy lifestyle your whole life...dont smoke, dont do drugs, dont consume alcohol in excess, exercise and eat right and you won't have to worry about nursing home costs and all that crap.....

Well, that's not true.

My MIL, who is incapacitated with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and can't even feed herself now, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, didn't drink, ate plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, and led a life of normal activity, though she wasn't what I'd call someone who "worked out." She was a country gal who grew up working outside, who ate a healthy "country" diet, and who worked as a teacher for 35 years.

Her healthcare is currently costing her about $5500 a month out of pocket.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 AM

3,857 posts, read 2,692,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The middle class who PAID everyone's premium for the "safety net" insurance policy
*sigh*

No.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the top 20% of earners pay 84% of income tax (as they should):
Top 20% of Earners Pay 84% of Income Tax - WSJ

Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM

9,350 posts, read 16,734,775 times
Quote:
Obviously what worked for you isn't working for everyone.

The middle class is fed "the safety net" line all our lives yet the safety net is set up so only people who didn't contribute much if anything are insured. The middle class who PAID everyone's premium for the "safety net" insurance policy are the very people who are denied benefits if they "need" help. So Yes, it is an injustice.

the whole point of "the safety net" is to help those who no longer have the wherewithal to care for themselves.... in other words.... no assets, no cash, maybe just a small income, etc. ..... all has been spent on care up to that point....

why should the taxpayers pay for care when there are assets available and income coming in??

Old 09-22-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
the whole point of "the safety net" is to help those who no longer have the wherewithal to care for themselves.... in other words.... no assets, no cash, maybe just a small income, etc. ..... all has been spent on care up to that point....

why should the taxpayers pay for care when there are assets available and income coming in??
Exactly, but when a middle class person has no money and signs over the house to the government and they still can't get help there's something wrong.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM

if a person has no money, how are they middle class??

her income can be used to offset her expenses.... if the children can't let her live with one of them, the house could be sold and a small apartment rented...... which is EXACTLY what I was going to do with my own mother until it became abundantly clear she was not capable of living on her own, even with help several hours a day....

Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
^^^^

Quote:

her income can be used to offset her expenses.... if the children can't let her live with one of them, the house could be sold and a small apartment rented...... which is EXACTLY what I was going to do with my own mother until it became abundantly clear she was not capable of living on her own, even with help several hours a day....
^^^^

Obviously you can't fix stupid.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
^^^^

^^^^

Obviously you can't fix stupid.

evidently not......

so, let me see if I understand what you are so wound up about..... because someone has not done well in life, lets just say through no fault of their own.... dealt a bad hand from the start, and qualifies for assistance, a person who has done better in life and actually has some cash and assets should be entitled to that same assistance??

or should the person who has done better in life spend their own cash and assets on their own care and once the cash and assets have been depleted, THEN qualify for assistance???

Old 09-22-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
evidently not......

so, let me see if I understand what you are so wound up about..... because someone has not done well in life, lets just say through no fault of their own.... dealt a bad hand from the start, and qualifies for assistance, a person who has done better in life and actually has some cash and assets should be entitled to that same assistance??

or should the person who has done better in life spend their own cash and assets on their own care and once the cash and assets have been depleted, THEN qualify for assistance???
Dealt a bad hand from the start LOL... here we go, excuses, excuses, excuses, oh po, po you, If you're younger and can't figure it out then yes I do feel sorry for you.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,127,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I'm curious, Mahrie. Where do you live in Canada? I was born in Canada and have lived and worked in 4 different provinces - Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and Manitoba. I have NEVER paid a separate health care premium to the provincial government where I lived. NEVER.

What I have paid are income taxes (the more earned, the more paid) which I know would have been much lower without our health care system. I do recall that Quebec had a separate calculation within the income tax form with respect to health care but the other provinces didn't bother, just factored the cost into their income tax rates.

I went years at a time without using the healthcare system and never regretted paying into it. When I was a teenager my father had cancer and I never forgot him saying that without our system, our family would have been bankrupt. It was a scary thought and I never forgot.

My province of Manitoba will cover drug costs, above a certain amount, for low income seniors. For all ages they will also cover the costs of chemo drugs, drugs administered in hospital, and drugs administered in a nursing home. Hospital stays are also free for everyone.
Evening cdirene!

Quebec has different programs from the rest of Canada, and I don't know what they have in place at present. I live in BC, by the way, but like you, have also lived in other provinces, as well as Yukon Territory.

Every province has mandatory health care plans which residents of said province must pay in to. BC has BC Med, Ontario has OHIP, and other provinces may indeed levy higher income taxes and simply extract the premiums for their medical plan(s) from 'regualar' income tax funds.

Medical care for seniors is generally covered by all provinces and usually includes prescriptions and other benefits such as eye care, disability, and so on. Here's a good link to how the system works: Canada Health Act - Frequently Asked Questions

During the forty-two years that I have lived in Canada (or at least had somewhere in Canada as my primary address), the 'rules' regarding health care, drivers licences, and many other factors have all changed dramatically several times. In 1974, when I came to Canada, it had a pretty decent healthcare system; now it's disgraceful.

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or