Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:38 PM

19,434 posts, read 8,984,844 times

Advertisements

Petch, you have done this subject almost to death, and I DO understand your frustration and anger, and I share them . . .

But I think you might direct your energies to calling and writing legislators and actually try to do something about the situation, since you evidently care so much about it, instead of continuing to vent on City Data, which accomplishes nothing except the chance to let off some steam.

(I truly do sympathize with you, though.)

Old 09-24-2015, 05:51 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Morality is not that hard to measure.

Look at the poorest, most destitute people in any society. How well off they are is a measure of the morals of their community. The reason they are poor is not important. What is important is the care and dignity they are considered to be entitled to.

If John and Joe and Jane are all protected by their community, and treated with respect and afforded self respect, the community has acted morally. John and Joe and Jane played their cards the best they could, but the winners are still those who were dealt the best cards.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,565,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Morality is not that hard to measure.

Look at the poorest, most destitute people in any society. How well off they are is a measure of the morals of their community. The reason they are poor is not important. What is important is the care and dignity they are considered to be entitled to.

If John and Joe and Jane are all protected by their community, and treated with respect and afforded self respect, the community has acted morally. John and Joe and Jane played their cards the best they could, but the winners are still those who were dealt the best cards.
Oh give it a break!

They all three have legs, arms, brains and ability but each chose a different path that led toward different results. But we are forced to give away what we need to the losers. I"m out of sympathy for them.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Petch, you have done this subject almost to death, and I DO understand your frustration and anger, and I share them . . .

But I think you might direct your energies to calling and writing legislators and actually try to do something about the situation, since you evidently care so much about it, instead of continuing to vent on City Data, which accomplishes nothing except the chance to let off some steam.

(I truly do sympathize with you, though.)
We've been told pay your taxes, "what about the poor", that there is a safety net for people who fall on hard times but they left out one caveat, the safety net is for people who are immoral takers all or most of their lives, not for the middle class who truly tried.

It's time that people understand that the "safety net" is a lie, rhetoric spoken by politicians so they can play on your emotions to gain your support for them to take more of the people's money.... "for the poor". Our family has paid and paid and paid and paid yet when we need help, nope, it's for the immoral, not you.

But keep my mouth shut right? Yes I am fed up. And call the politicians LOL, what a joke.

Last edited by petch751; 09-24-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
yet another excuse?

When did that job move? And it never occurred to them to look for another job. Now there is a thinker
Oh great, replace a good paying manufacturing job with flipping burgers or working in a call center.

Like I wrote, John used to be middle class but is now poor.

BTW - this could happen to you!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Oh great, replace a good paying manufacturing job with flipping burgers or working in a call center.

Like I wrote, John used to be middle class but is now poor.

BTW - this could happen to you!
It will most likely happen to me. That's my entire point but since I worked and paid in all my life there will be no help for me should I need it. What part don't you understand.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Oh give it a break!

They all three have legs, arms, brains and ability but each chose a different path that led toward different results. But we are forced to give away what we need to the losers. I"m out of sympathy for them.
Please assure me that those brains are all equal and uniform, and one can predict that everyone will use his equal brain to the same extent, in the same way, without deviation from the standard that "normal" people approve of. Regardless of inherited intelligence, parental upbringing, environmental impact, social peer pressures, etcetcetc.

Apparently, you are strongly opposed to the social principle of everybody choosing diverse paths leading to different results, and anybody who doesn't choose, from infancy, the "approved" path with certainty that it will lead to the "approved" outcome is to be kicked aside and left in the streets to be stepped over by the superior beautiful people.

It would no doubt make some people proud to live in a nation of so many beggars with no social benefits, that one must push their way through them in the streets, and when begging fails, violent crime becomes the only remaining option. I would not wish to live in such a nation. It would be immoral.

Yes, any man can become president. But it is quite wrong to think that that means the same thing as EVERY man can become president. Some will not, not president, nor rich, nor successful, nor even self-sufficient.. I would caution anyone who does not see the difference, to think that through.

Raise your hand if you think "I grabbed my share, now to hell with the rest of you".

Last edited by jtur88; 09-24-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Please assure me that those brains are all equal and uniform, and one can predict that everyone will use his equal brain to the same extent, in the same way, without deviation from the norm that "normal" people approve of. Regardless of inherited intelligence, parental upbringing, environmental impact, social peer pressures, etcetcetc.

Apparently, you are strongly opposed to the social principle of everybody choosing diverse paths leading to different results, and anybody who doesn't choose, from infancy, the "approved" path with certainty that it will lead with lead to the "approved" outcome is to be kicked aside and left in the streets to be stepped over by the superior beautiful people.

Yes, any man can become wealthy. But it is quite wrong to think that that means the same thing as EVERY man can become wealthy.
LOL wow, assure you brains are all equal and uniform? LOL, omg, I'm going to resist comment lol

"approved" path?... Choose your path but pay for it too. If you choose to have a kid you can't afford why should I pay for lack of common sense? If you would rather drink, do drugs, can't hold a job because of it, it's the path "you choose" but I shouldn't have to subsidize you.

So politicians would rather subside immoral people rather than people who paid their way.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
when begging fails, violent crime becomes the only remaining option.
^^^ Sounds like blackmail to me. I guess WORKING never crossed their mind nahh

Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
LOL wow, assure you brains are all equal and uniform? LOL, omg, I'm going to resist comment lol

"approved" path?... Choose your path but pay for it too. If you choose to have a kid you can't afford why should I pay for lack of common sense? If you would rather drink, do drugs, can't hold a job because of it, it's the path "you choose" but I shouldn't have to subsidize you.

So politicians would rather subside immoral people rather than people who paid their way.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand anything you just said lol omg. Are you saying brains are equal lol omg, or that they are not lol omg. Is "equal lol" the same as "equal omg", or different?.

If they would reopen abortion clinics in my state, they would reduce over the next generation about a million unwanted children being born to people who make poor decisions, lacking common sense, and pass that defect along to their offspring, and even obsruct those children from healthy development. Those million children will cost $50-billion in public funds to raise to adulthood, and then you will have to support them too, absent genocide. And even keep a very large number of them in publicly-funded prison through much or all of their adulthood.. A million publicly-subsidized abortions would cost less than one billion, a savings of 98%.

See? There is a solution. Would you call that "moral lol" or "moral omg"?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-24-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving