U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,931,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
There is no help. I'm warning the middle class to stop buying the "safety net" rhetoric, that safety net is only meant for the lifetime poor, not the middle class turned poor.
So you want the government to expand the safety net to the middle class yet you rail against the government's safety net for the poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 AM

2,632 posts, read 3,354,033 times
I think the OP would like is a more tiered system for public assistance with aging that is income based. So, rather than somewhat arbitrary (and very very low...) income cut offs to receive helpful chunks of public assistance, I sense she would like a more graded system of providing benefits. This in theory would provide more assistance to the "near poor" like her mother (who she calls the middle class?) who might benefit from having SOME additional homemaker services based on a moderately low income level.

For example - It doesn't make sense that someone making $1000 per month can be eligible for $500 per month free homemaker services, while someone making $1200 per month qualifies for nothing. I am pulling the numbers out of the air, but from what the OP has said, she is claiming that in her state her Mom's situation is something like this.

I agree with this, and am a huge proponent of community/state programs to keep folks out of nursing homes. I also agree that the very low levels of savings you are allowed to keep in the bank while on Medicaid are problematic, and there should be reasonable exceptions to this.

But I am starting to realize that subsidizing a movement in our country to keeping seniors living alone, in their houses/apartments, until the end of life may also not be financially viable in the long run. Sometimes we want things, and they "feel" right, but that doesn't mean we deserve or can have them.

However, generally our Nursing Home options are quite poor, and crazy expensive.

I wont get in to discussing the OP's preferences on punishing the poor who she feels take advantage of the system. It seems that the OP has personal experiences with family that make it challenging to look further afield. Of course there are people that abuse the system, and that shouldn't be tolerated, but honestly... it's not like they have a great life that most of us would envy, right?

To be honest, I have more trouble with Romney having an IRA worth $100 million dollars than an unemployed, mentally ill alcoholic getting food stamps and homemaker visits etc.... But I guess that's just me.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:19 PM

11,016 posts, read 8,436,896 times
Quote:
Is there a wall I can bang my head against? I've spelled it out over and over and people still don't get it. wow!

The poor get help all their lives, not risking going over an income limit in their elder years so they continue to get help. The middle class contribute, driving their SS up, working themselves out of help when they become elderly.

Most people prefer to stay ignorant since it's obviously in vogue.
You are the one coming across as ignorant. If you are so "proud" about paying your way all through life, then shut up and continue to pay.

Oh...but wait... you say you need help?? Um, then doesn't that make you the same as all the other people who have needed help in the past? Just because your relative needs the help later in life doesn't make you or your family special. Help is help.

Don't complain if your "proud" family didn't properly plan for elder care. They sell LTC policies. Why didn't you get one? There's also Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM

15,712 posts, read 9,203,435 times
Quote:
Yes I believe this to be true. If you can prove that you lived there and took care of the parent keeping the out of the nursing home for two years. I don't want to keep the house although I've ask my brother if he wanted to. He said it was a risk to sell his house, move in and if she passes before those two years he would be out a place to live and he does'nt trust the government to allow him to keep it. Too bad, it's a cute house in a nice neighborhood, a great place to grow up but I don't think he wants the house either. We both like our own homes.
If he wants the house, let him buy it. Then use the money for her care.

It sounds like you both want your cake and to eat it too. Your mom apparently has assets for her care, but you don't want to use them because you and your brother might not get your share? So you're willing to starve your mother (I know, only hypothetically), instead of using her home to provide for her care.

You also contradict yourself - your brother either has his own home, or he needs her's to live in. Am I missing something?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,765 times

Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,765 times
This is all for real? Are you serious, dude? cause, i think it's not truly

Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,558,684 times
Quote:
Actually that's a good idea. It never occurred to me not to give my number since the rehab needs a contact number in case something happened. I could change my cell phone number (I hope). But then they'll start harassing my mother, she's always paid her bills and it will stress her. I could change her number too and they can harass her by mail.
Investigate filing bankruptcy. If your mother has a low enough income, they can waive the filing fees, you'll want to ask the attorney you consult... and in many locations, legal aid services can help elderly and/or disabled folks free.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:12 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,034,428 times
OP: Question the bills that your mother is getting. They made need to be resubmitted for payment. Get an elder care attorney. Get a social worker. Get someone to come in for a few hours a few days a week so you can get a break.

The taxes: Pay them in installments. This way you won't need to keep so much in an account at any given time.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 AM

39,109 posts, read 20,237,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
OP: Question the bills that your mother is getting. They made need to be resubmitted for payment. Get an elder care attorney. Get a social worker. Get someone to come in for a few hours a few days a week so you can get a break.

The taxes: Pay them in installments. This way you won't need to keep so much in an account at any given time.
We asked for a little help (you know the safety net they talk about). She worked, increased her SS to just barely ($5.82 a month) above the income level and was denied that safety net help. At this time we've given up. She is going to have to go back into the nursing home.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,931,667 times
Quote:
We asked for a little help (you know the safety net they talk about). She worked, increased her SS to just barely ($5.82 a month) above the income level and was denied that safety net help. At this time we've given up. She is going to have to go back into the nursing home.
You know, your mother gets SS which is all she is entitled to. Why didn't she work harder and make more money to help herself? Why didn't you work harder and make more money to help her? Why don't you just admit that you want the taxpayer-funded safety net to be expanded to the middle class so you and your mother can benefit like the leeches you look down upon? Otherwise stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving