U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 PM

3,860 posts, read 6,875,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I saw the Seven Stages on this site a few days ago. I started reading it, but there are things that I just can't read, because it's so real (if that make any sense).

It's strange, because he has only had targeted radiation and chemo, so I don't see him getting sick (thankfully). Since he is still walking and functioning, it's somewhat easy to pretend that it isn't happening. He has lost a lot of weight and is skin and bones. Yet, I can see that he is weaker, and he can sleep 24 hours away, which is scary. That, I can't pretend away. I have bouts of feelings one way then the other.

I have been told that I am going through what is called "anticipatory grief".

He is going where he belongs tomorrow, and for that I'm grateful.

You are going through it. It's just so hard. I think I am currently in that stage, too. Your comments about the skin and bones and sleeping 24 hours away is definitely ones I can relate to. We are in our second week of hospice and it has helped tremendously. They have helped me deal with the sleeping issue, especially. I'm no longer wringing my hands wondering if I should try to wake her up to make her eat. If you SO's doctor begins to talk about hospice, please investigate it seriously. It helped us with both the practical aspects of dealing with cancer and with the emotional aspects of the grieving process. It's helped bring my pre-cancer mom back a bit even though after ten long years the cancer is winning big time.

The research/teaching hospital will probably be a big relief to you both. In my mom's case, she had been going to a large cancer clinic in our home state. After she fell and broke her femur, then fell and broke her hip, she came to stay with me and transferred care to a Comprehensive Cancer Center, affiliated with the National Cancer Institute. The good news was that the doctor treating her here emphasized that she had gotten really good care where she had been going. (I had wanted her to come her for a second opinion but she felt confident in her treatment there.) She also got some cutting edge care here. If you are like me, it may be important to you later to know he did get the care he needed where he was previously treated. The really good thing is that so many new treatments are coming out now that offer new hope. Hope that is real.

Sending you both big {{{HUGS}}} and prayers that things go well tomorrow. Keep fighting. From your posts it's obvious that you have a lot of love for your SO and you're spoiling for a good old fashioned fight on his cancer. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 08:04 PM

3,319 posts, read 3,024,316 times
The news from the research hospital is that my SO has been getting the care that they would be giving him. I am glad for that, but sad that they couldn't add any options to help him gain weight, get stronger or be in less pain. At least he hasn't missed out on any important treatment. While I wish they had given us more hope, it could have been worse - they could have said, "You should have had him here months ago."

Frankly, I'm a lucky girl.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM

17,060 posts, read 17,376,569 times
Quote:
The news from the research hospital is that my SO has been getting the care that they would be giving him. I am glad for that, but sad that they couldn't add any options to help him gain weight, get stronger or be in less pain. At least he hasn't missed out on any important treatment. While I wish they had given us more hope, it could have been worse - they could have said, "You should have had him here months ago."

Frankly, I'm a lucky girl.
Thank you for the update. I wish you and your SO well.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM

My guy had a second MRI (two months after his third treatment). It showed that the tumors are getting larger again. The doctor said that since my guy is still working, he is confident that he is strong enough to do another treatment on one tumor. The other tumor they will leave alone, because treating it would damage too much of what little good tissue is left.

The Dr said that after that treatment and the MRI that follows, if he is strong enough, they can start Nexavar. I have read that some people tolerate it okay and other say that it's Hell on Earth. My guy said that he is willing to try it, but if it makes him feel too terrible, he will quit.

I can't even put into words how useless I feel. I just want to fix it, but nothing I do will make it go away. I am not handling this well.

I wish those of you going through this, much strength.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
My guy had a second MRI (two months after his third treatment). It showed that the tumors are getting larger again. The doctor said that since my guy is still working, he is confident that he is strong enough to do another treatment on one tumor. The other tumor they will leave alone, because treating it would damage too much of what little good tissue is left.

The Dr said that after that treatment and the MRI that follows, if he is strong enough, they can start Nexavar. I have read that some people tolerate it okay and other say that it's Hell on Earth. My guy said that he is willing to try it, but if it makes him feel too terrible, he will quit.

I can't even put into words how useless I feel. I just want to fix it, but nothing I do will make it go away. I am not handling this well.

I wish those of you going through this, much strength.
Oh, Morph, I just read this. My heart is breaking a little for you. The good news is that the doctors want to treat him and he is willing to try it. I am remembering you in my prayers. You are strong. You are not useless. You are there with him, beside him, handling it in the best way you know how to.

{{{BIG HUGS}}}

Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 PM

To each of you: Thanks for your words and prayers.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 AM

519 posts, read 703,145 times
God bless you

Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 AM

After having the MRI, the radiologist wanted My Guy (MG) to get blood tests done. He did that Tuesday. Yesterday, the radiologist called him and said that the levels are worse, that they can't do any more radiation, and to get an appt with his oncologist ASAP. The appt is Monday.

I have no idea what to expect. I don't know if they will do something to get his blood back in order for another radiation treatment or if they will start the Nexavar.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM

17,060 posts, read 17,376,569 times
Quote:
After having the MRI, the radiologist wanted My Guy (MG) to get blood tests done. He did that Tuesday. Yesterday, the radiologist called him and said that the levels are worse, that they can't do any more radiation, and to get an appt with his oncologist ASAP. The appt is Monday.

I have no idea what to expect. I don't know if they will do something to get his blood back in order for another radiation treatment or if they will start the Nexavar.
I am sorry to hear that. Thank you for updating.

I wish you and your guy the best of luck in this difficult time. Hugs.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:

A transfusion, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or