U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 08:07 PM

3,319 posts, read 3,026,211 times

Advertisements

No one has ever mentioned a transfusion. Funny that you should mention that, because it had crossed my mind, too. I often sit and wonder about X, Y or Z. Of course, I have zero medical knowledge other than I can take the wrapper off a Band-Aid (and even that is a challenge at times). So, my ideas are probably lame.

He has been in bed most of the weekend, which is a significant and scary change. I'm staying at his house on the couch in case he needs something.

I hope this helps others in this situation know what to expect, because I don't from one minute to the next. His daughter is several states away and his nearby sister is . . . well . . . "Thinking of him".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,878,823 times
They did blood transfusions for my mom and it really helped short term.

Let us know what the oncologist says.

Last edited by photobuff42; 05-23-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 06:52 PM

It has been a tough weekend.

I had an on-call Dr call, who said MG could increase his pain meds. The Dr seemed surprised that he wasn't taking anything but morphine.

I'm so lost.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM

I sent you a direct message.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM

Are you able to go to the appointments with MG? I would take a list of all the medications he is currently taking. Ask the primary and the oncologist to review them with you. Ask what time of day they should be taken. Ask if an over the counter or another prescription should be added for pain.

MG needs to stay ahead of his pain. If he can't, it will cause irritability and exhaustion.

I hope you can accompany him to the doctors. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 PM

Photobuff42: Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I usually do go with him to appointments.

You are right about pain causing irritability and exhaustion. That can happen even to a person who doesn't have a terminal illness! The good news is his primary care physician increased the frequency of his morphine, and he was better today than he has been of late.

We went to a gastroendocrinologist (sp?) today. MG's bilirubin is higher, so the Dr thinks there might be a gall stone or some other obstruction in one of his ducts. (I'm hoping that's all it is.) So, he will be going for imaging to see what is causing the elevated levels.

His oncologist appointment is tomorrow. Frankly, I'm still not sure WHAT she does . . . but . . . maybe I just have misguided grouchiness - and skepticism. LOL

He has been holding a whopping three additional pounds for the last couple weeks. He weighs 118.

AND he has been eating a little better lately. I keep asking what I can fix that he hasn't had in years or what he is craving. One night it was pancakes. (Hey, at this point something is better than nothing.) Another night, he told me about his mom's tuna noodle casserole, so I made that. I've found that food that has good memories associated with it (like memories of his mom) are great for getting him to eat.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Photobuff42: Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I usually do go with him to appointments.

You are right about pain causing irritability and exhaustion. That can happen even to a person who doesn't have a terminal illness! The good news is his primary care physician increased the frequency of his morphine, and he was better today than he has been of late.

We went to a gastroendocrinologist (sp?) today. MG's bilirubin is higher, so the Dr thinks there might be a gall stone or some other obstruction in one of his ducts. (I'm hoping that's all it is.) So, he will be going for imaging to see what is causing the elevated levels.

His oncologist appointment is tomorrow. Frankly, I'm still not sure WHAT she does . . . but . . . maybe I just have misguided grouchiness - and skepticism. LOL

He has been holding a whopping three additional pounds for the last couple weeks. He weighs 118.

AND he has been eating a little better lately. I keep asking what I can fix that he hasn't had in years or what he is craving. One night it was pancakes. (Hey, at this point something is better than nothing.) Another night, he told me about his mom's tuna noodle casserole, so I made that. I've found that food that has good memories associated with it (like memories of his mom) are great for getting him to eat.
Hopefully they will find out the cause of the elevated levels and deal with it easily.

It's good that he has kept on some weight. It's a good thing. Keep dishing out mom's favorites!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:27 PM

The oncologist appointment was this morning. The cancer has spread to his lungs. Hospice has been contacted. Even though I knew this day would come, I am still devastated.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,160,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
The oncologist appointment was this morning. The cancer has spread to his lungs. Hospice has been contacted. Even though I knew this day would come, I am still devastated.
metamophosis, there are not adequate words to express how sorry I am for you both, you are in my thoughts.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM

metamorphosis, I am so sorry that they are not able to treat MG's cancer now. I know you are reeling. It's certainly a blow to recovery hopes. It totally changes your thought process.

Hospice will be a wonderful help to you, I do know that from my own experience. The nurses can help with pain management, and if something is wrong you can call them and they can help. You won't feel so alone, since they will be out to help MG and you. Hopefully, the care will improve the quality of time for MG and you.

Please keep us updated. If you have any questions about hospice, this is a good place to seek answers. Sending you {{{{Hugs}}}} and prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or