U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM

3,319 posts, read 3,026,211 times

Advertisements

I thank each of you for your words. They mean a lot.

I am very sad, but thankful for having this time to love him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM

They have found cancer in MG's ducts and lymph nodes. Hospice called to get permission to recognize his service (Army). I think it would be nice, but I'm having a tough time holding it together at work.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,039,757 times
So sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself too.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:15 PM

3,862 posts, read 6,878,823 times
I know when mom started hospice, I started the grieving process. It's hard to function when this is happening to your loved one. Windwalker2 is right. Take care of yourself, too.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM

I just keep waiting to wake up.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:09 PM

IMHO, hospice has dropped the ball. I just talked to the hospice social worker and basically told her that their concern of not allowing people to be in pain is hogwash. I told her that I want him out of pain NOW - even if that means giving him something until he gets to the hospital. (They scheduled for Thursday.). I told her that all I want is someone to tell me how to do things or where to go & I can do it myself.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM

6,330 posts, read 5,072,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
IMHO, hospice has dropped the ball. I just talked to the hospice social worker and basically told her that their concern of not allowing people to be in pain is hogwash. I told her that I want him out of pain NOW - even if that means giving him something until he gets to the hospital. (They scheduled for Thursday.). I told her that all I want is someone to tell me how to do things or where to go & I can do it myself.
Is he at home? My mom is in a nursing home and if the pain patch the hospice dr ordered is not enough, the staff gives her something extra. It is horrible to see them suffering.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 PM

He is at home. He takes a lot of pain-killers. He now has ascites, and the pressure is painful. The meds aren't helping. He isn't eating.

I'm certainly ignorant in most things medical, so I thought if I mentioned for over a week that his belly and feet are swollen, they would give a diuretic or something. When they told me about the paracentesis, my first though was, Finally!
They had said that once they remove the fluid, he would feel better and would probably eat, so of course, I'm of the thinking that this is important. Then they say he has to wait another two days to get the fluid removed.

But, I've calmed down a bit. I just am still trying to fix something that I can't.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,160,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
He is at home. He takes a lot of pain-killers. He now has ascites, and the pressure is painful. The meds aren't helping. He isn't eating.

I'm certainly ignorant in most things medical, so I thought if I mentioned for over a week that his belly and feet are swollen, they would give a diuretic or something. When they told me about the paracentesis, my first though was, Finally!
They had said that once they remove the fluid, he would feel better and would probably eat, so of course, I'm of the thinking that this is important. Then they say he has to wait another two days to get the fluid removed.

But, I've calmed down a bit. I just am still trying to fix something that I can't.
This is one of the hardest things to come to terms with, when you can and can't fix something. The only thing you can do is be his advocate and make sure those taking care of him hear your concerns. I am so sorry you are going through this, it is truly a situation that noone wants to find themselves in.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM

I still have a lot to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or