U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 PM

25,731 posts, read 32,704,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
the minute we got off the phone, I looked down at the phone in my hand (Lord, please let it have been hung up), and yelled, "I AM SICK OF SICK PEOPLE! DON'T YOU DARE GET SICK ON ME!!!" Yes, I think I may have spiced that up with the F word, now that I think of it. Then I realized that my garage door was still open because I had just walked in with groceries, so my neighbors probably caught an earful - and my dogs were staring at me like I had done lost my mind.

And maybe I will. You know - maybe I just will.

Or maybe I need a beautiful new Michael Kors purse for Christmas and I damn sure better get one from somebody.
LOL!!! Too funny Kathryn. I gotta tell you I have wanted to vent like that many times!!!
I hope you get a purse for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 PM

44,179 posts, read 35,709,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL!!! Too funny Kathryn. I gotta tell you I have wanted to vent like that many times!!!
I hope you get a purse for Christmas.
You and me both.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,875,442 times
Kathryn Aragon is one of the coolest CD posters here, God bless her. I needed to take a break from the crazy people on here as well.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Whew, my dad went home today! He should be OK, as long as he takes blood thinners. Close call.

This gave me an excellent opportunity to establish some healthy boundaries and expectations with both my parents. As the week wore on, and the scope of "new normal" sank in with both of them, I could see some dependence and some "fragility" starting to creep in. I empathize with the emotional shock of realizing that old age and it's problems has truly set in, and with the emotional and physical fatigue of sickness in the picture, but I told them that I expect them to do all that they can do for as long as they can do it - for their good and for mine. The time will come when I have to do a lot more for them, but this is not that time. They can and should still do all sorts of things themselves - and should begin making adjustments and changes in their lives such as getting rid of some dogs.

I think they will be agreeable. Overall, it was a good conversation. Hard for me to be firm but it's for their good as well as mine. They are both strong people.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:25 PM

9,649 posts, read 6,933,701 times
Quote:
Whew, my dad went home today! He should be OK, as long as he takes blood thinners. Close call.

This gave me an excellent opportunity to establish some healthy boundaries and expectations with both my parents. As the week wore on, and the scope of "new normal" sank in with both of them, I could see some dependence and some "fragility" starting to creep in. I empathize with the emotional shock of realizing that old age and it's problems has truly set in, and with the emotional and physical fatigue of sickness in the picture, but I told them that I expect them to do all that they can do for as long as they can do it - for their good and for mine. The time will come when I have to do a lot more for them, but this is not that time. They can and should still do all sorts of things themselves - and should begin making adjustments and changes in their lives such as getting rid of some dogs.

I think they will be agreeable. Overall, it was a good conversation. Hard for me to be firm but it's for their good as well as mine. They are both strong people.

Glad to hear your dad was well enough to go home. Just wondering if they determined the clots and low platelet counts ( which can go hand in hand as the platelets initiate the clotting process and are used up when it gets out of control) were due to a disseminated intravascular coagulation process (DIC) from the infections he had? Toxins produced by infectious bacteria, especially if he was septic, may cause that, although there are many other causes too.

In any case, my best wishes to all of you as you continue through this difficult journey with your parents. Lots of people pulling for you, that you have the strength and stamina to do what is needed to take care of your parents and yourself.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,468,376 times
KA, I haven't been here myself as much as usual since my mother was in a rehab center for three weeks in November. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Pulmonary embolism is very scary! I'm happy to hear he's home now. Take care and I wish you some calm in your life in the very near future. Is a drama-free holiday too much to ask for? Best always, J.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
KA, I haven't been here myself as much as usual since my mother was in a rehab center for three weeks in November. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Pulmonary embolism is very scary! I'm happy to hear he's home now. Take care and I wish you some calm in your life in the very near future. Is a drama-free holiday too much to ask for? Best always, J.

LOL here's the mood in our house last night:

I got in about 7:30 after getting my dad out of the hospital, going by the pharmacy, stopping by Chik Fil A since that's what he was Jonesin' for , and then taking him home. When I got home, my adorable husband had made some of his fabulous tortilla soup, and also cleaned up the kitchen. My home was peaceful and full of delicious scents and tastes and my husband was kind and attentive - the "best bud," "running buddy," "Friend with Benefits," and "boon companion" that I've loved so much all these years - the guy that sometimes I've felt like I've misplaced over the past couple of years of family drama.

Anyway, I literally started crying with gratitude! He sort of got a kick out of that. Then I said, "Can we please have a normal holiday season - you know, a happy one?" And of course he said yes.

Yesterday afternoon, we went and bought our Christmas presents - we bought bikes! We're very excited about our upcoming adventures and exploring together, and it will feel great to be more active. We had to order them because we wanted cool colors, but they should be in in about a week. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Glad to hear your dad was well enough to go home. Just wondering if they determined the clots and low platelet counts ( which can go hand in hand as the platelets initiate the clotting process and are used up when it gets out of control) were due to a disseminated intravascular coagulation process (DIC) from the infections he had? Toxins produced by infectious bacteria, especially if he was septic, may cause that, although there are many other causes too.

In any case, my best wishes to all of you as you continue through this difficult journey with your parents. Lots of people pulling for you, that you have the strength and stamina to do what is needed to take care of your parents and yourself.
Thank you for asking.

They are still waiting on some of the more complex blood tests to come back but the last word we got was that they believed the low platelet count was due to DIC from a UTI and pneumonia. That is what we're hoping it was from!

His platelet count inched up every day and then the last couple of days in the hospital it got above 100K. When they discharged him it was 118. So while that's still low, it was out of the alarming level and headed in the right direction! WHEW.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 AM

9,649 posts, read 6,933,701 times
Quote:
Thank you for asking.

They are still waiting on some of the more complex blood tests to come back but the last word we got was that they believed the low platelet count was due to DIC from a UTI and pneumonia. That is what we're hoping it was from!

His platelet count inched up every day and then the last couple of days in the hospital it got above 100K. When they discharged him it was 118. So while that's still low, it was out of the alarming level and headed in the right direction! WHEW.
Whew for sure! And I would think that his platelet count going up also indicates the DIC is resolving, since platelets are used up in the runaway coagulation process that is the mechanism of DIC. If it was initiated by the nasty bugs that gave him the pneumonia and/or UTI, and he's recovering from those, that should take care of the DIC. Fingers, knees and eyes crossed that this is the case!

And referring to your other post about those new bikes, those ought to be huge stress relievers and exercise all rolled into one.
Enjoy!!!!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:20 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,205,253 times
There is help out there for the care giver so check with the agency's that work with seniors and their family's. If you need an afternoon for yourself, a weeks downtime it should be available to you. My father had a stroke and mom had dementia. We were lucky that mom didn't need the constant care as she still knew how to keep herself clean. We were there each morning to visit and get her meds in her. Had a wonderful neighbor who looked in on her also.
The people you need to get a hold of are Agency for the Ageing. They would be able to give you a lot of suggestions and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving