U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 AM
 
39,109 posts, read 20,237,315 times
Reputation: 12659

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Yes, recognizing the negatives effect of being on the tail end of the boomer generation and with parents, ourselves and society having high expectations, At the time I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. Fortunately, I began to understood that is the way it was and did the best I could and without a government handout.

Generation Jones has three more passages,

- taking care of my elderly parents now,
- hopefully be able to retire,
- hopefully to have enough left to take care ourselves when we reach our elder years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2016, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,274 posts, read 35,818,552 times
Reputation: 62626
I can only speak for myself but I think blaming other generations or other groups is pointless. I am a "tail ender" Baby Boomer and came of age in a time of massive unemployment and skyrocketing interest rates, not to mention gasoline that was in short supply and sky high in price. Yep, I even had my gas siphoned out of my tank once when I was about 17. I could barely afford to fill the tank up once, let alone twice. I was dirt poor.

But guess what - it's not unusual to be dirt poor in your teens or twenties. So what? I figure it put hair on my chest. I'd rather have been poor then than now.

Anyway, it hasn't been impossible to earn a comfortable lifestyle. I don't expect to be filthy rich. I don't expect to be destitute either. I know that some people truly do have bad luck. But I also know that some people make one poor financial decision after another, and then blame everyone but themselves when they look around at age 50 and realize that they owe on everything and don't have a penny saved for retirement.

The vast majority of Americans could cut back and save or somehow manage their money better than they do or have, and that's just the truth of it. Pension or no pension. High interest rates or low interest rates. Baby Boomer, Silent Generation, Gen Xers, Millennials - every generation has it's challenges and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 PM
 
39,109 posts, read 20,237,315 times
Reputation: 12659
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can only speak for myself but I think blaming other generations or other groups is pointless. I am a "tail ender" Baby Boomer and came of age in a time of massive unemployment and skyrocketing interest rates, not to mention gasoline that was in short supply and sky high in price. Yep, I even had my gas siphoned out of my tank once when I was about 17. I could barely afford to fill the tank up once, let alone twice. I was dirt poor.
LOL weren't those the days? We were so poor but had a great! time.

Yep, every generation has stuff to deal with. It's how you deal with it that makes the difference in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,700,082 times
Reputation: 20540
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that pensions don't exist. However, the number of companies offering pensions has dropped dramatically over the years that BBers and GenXers have entered the work force.
Aside from some government jobs or some union jobs, I know of nothing that offers a pension anymore. Even many government jobs and union jobs offer 401(k)'s instead of pensions. New hires or recent hires aren't offered pensions even though the "old timers" have them. They were grandfathered in. And so many places now don't even offer full time positions. They max you out around 30 hours so they don't have to offer benefits. It's definitely not like it once was...... Oh and finding one of the few jobs that does offer a pension today is soooooo challenging! They're not in all areas either. Times they sure are a changin'. The jury is still out if it's for the better.....you know that who new and improved thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM
 
16,990 posts, read 20,588,424 times
Reputation: 33951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ummm...I'm your age, and I will have a pension when I retire. That was one of the main reasons that I chose my current job. Tons of people your age will get pensions, and younger ones too.
You hope you have a pension that will be intact. Nothing is guaranteed these days. There have been several companies who have not delivered to their retired employees.

Pensions are going the way of the dinosaur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that pensions don't exist. However, the number of companies offering pensions has dropped dramatically over the years that BBers and GenXers have entered the work force.
Yes, they have. There have also been companies that have gone under or come out and said they can't pay out the promised pensions. You can't just rely on that. People need to save and invest on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 PM
 
901 posts, read 645,037 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes, recognizing the negatives effect of being on the tail end of the boomer generation and with parents, ourselves and society having high expectations, At the time I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. Fortunately, I began to understood that is the way it was and did the best I could and without a government handout.

Generation Jones has three more passages,

- taking care of my elderly parents now,
- hopefully be able to retire,
- hopefully to have enough left to take care ourselves when we reach our elder years.
Well put!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 PM
 
18,711 posts, read 13,485,028 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Aside from some government jobs or some union jobs, I know of nothing that offers a pension anymore. Even many government jobs and union jobs offer 401(k)'s instead of pensions. New hires or recent hires aren't offered pensions even though the "old timers" have them. They were grandfathered in. And so many places now don't even offer full time positions. They max you out around 30 hours so they don't have to offer benefits. It's definitely not like it once was...... Oh and finding one of the few jobs that does offer a pension today is soooooo challenging! They're not in all areas either. Times they sure are a changin'. The jury is still out if it's for the better.....you know that who new and improved thing.


There are still quite a few companies that offer pension it's just not nearly as prevelant as it was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 AM
 
504 posts, read 650,941 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There are still quite a few companies that offer pension it's just not nearly as prevelant as it was
What F500 companies offer pensions to NEW employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,274 posts, read 35,818,552 times
Reputation: 62626
A pension isn't the end all be all anyway. For instance - you may be able to get a pension if you're a teacher. But you have to be a teacher for decades. So...no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 AM
 
6,264 posts, read 3,380,562 times
Reputation: 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Pay attention. Focus. I did not "insist" that "only women" should be doing caregiving. I said women were better at it, and in most families it is observed that the women frequently end up with the job. I guess I assume a certain level of education, erudition, comprehension, and rationality when I make these posts. My bad. Apparently.
Wonder what my brothers should do? Neither had children, one married very late in life so it's highly possible his wife would be too old to be a full-time caregiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top